Schröder LT and SOTA Cartridges

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does anyone have an Air Tight Opus 1 or a Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement mounted on a Schröder LT tonearm?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Does anyone have an Air Tight Opus 1 or a Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement mounted on a Schröder LT tonearm?

Once you buy the LT and get your system up and running just tell me Ron. I will lend you the Opus1. Just pay for the freight and don’t be so clumsy.

Tang:)

Reactions: bonzo75

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
I do not have a Shroeder LT but I do have a Shroeder Model 2, and I mounted a Goldfinger Statement on it before. This plus a Graham Phantom 2 are what I listen to the most. With Model 2 the sound was warmer and with much better and fuller bass than Phantom 2. The warmness added density and texture, but not to the extent of mellowing out treble like MY Sonic Hyper Eminent (also in my collection). First impression after mounting the Goldfinger Statemen on Model 2 was how smooth and non-mechanical the sound was. Through Phantom 2, sound was faster and more agile, but also thinner and brighter. Orchestral and vocal more suitable through Schroeder and Jazz and pop more suitable through Graham.
Obviously my Model 2 is not as expensive as LT so please take my listening notes with a grain of salt...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for your reply, zbub.

Have you ever heard a system using a Schröder LT tonearm?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron you are not going to easily get the answer on this forum. Steve Dobbins is the active Schroeder LT installer and his clients have this, he himself is a dealer for Lyra and colibri, so these carts obviously work with it. He also owns many other carts including Allaerts.

OMA prefers his Schroeder with Miyajima. Robyatt audio is quite experienced with many arms, cats and TTs and prefers zyx, Miyajima, Tsar DST with his Schroeders.

Regarding the wand, Steve and a couple of his clients including baby bear seem to prefer the magnesium. I spoke to Frank Schroeder about this at Munich and he prefers his own wand. Steve mentioned that the magnesium adds leading edge attack and dynamics.

Anamighty sound also do Schroeder LT installs in the EU, and know Frank well. They use Allaerts, and various other carts, many which they themselves retip as they are leading retipper. So no airtight users in this group, but the arm seems pretty flexible and pretty sure Steve or Anamighty or Robin would have some experience.

Also when made to order Schroeder can customize it to your cart. Personally in your position I would just give Steve Dobbins a call and chat, and also speak to Robyatt and Anamighty.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Audioarcher on the west coast owns an LT too

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I also have heard the Schröder Arm--it is excellent--I think Mosin(Win) uses one too with his table.

Frank told me he has the "magic" bearings made especially for him by SKN!

Top class product and extremely personable gentleman as well--buy with absolute confidence

BruceD

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thank you for your reply, zbub.

Have you ever heard a system using a Schröder LT tonearm?

If you are going to use Opus1, the 3012R is the most reasonable choice imo. No need to try othe arm to find out that you have overspent. I am a good example of curiosity kills the wallet :D. I don’t have 30 years experience like many people here so I shortcut my learning process by buying whatever I was curious of. I hope I could save you some bucks.

Kind regards,
Tang

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron you are not going to easily get the answer on this forum. Steve Dobbins is the active Schroeder LT installer and his clients have this, he himself is a dealer for Lyra and colibri, so these carts obviously work with it. He also owns many other carts including Allaerts.

OMA prefers his Schroeder with Miyajima. Robyatt audio is quite experienced with many arms, cats and TTs and prefers zyx, Miyajima, Tsar DST with his Schroeders.

Regarding the wand, Steve and a couple of his clients including baby bear seem to prefer the magnesium. I spoke to Frank Schroeder about this at Munich and he prefers his own wand. Steve mentioned that the magnesium adds leading edge attack and dynamics.

Anamighty sound also do Schroeder LT installs in the EU, and know Frank well. They use Allaerts, and various other carts, many which they themselves retip as they are leading retipper. So no airtight users in this group, but the arm seems pretty flexible and pretty sure Steve or Anamighty or Robin would have some experience.

Also when made to order Schroeder can customize it to your cart. Personally in your position I would just give Steve Dobbins a call and chat, and also speak to Robyatt and Anamighty.

Thank you, Bruce and Kedar! I was just looking for additional data points of people using the tonearm, and seeing what cartridge they were using on the tonearm.

I had a very nice conversation with Frank in Munich, and I had a very nice two hour telephone chat with Steve Dobbins a few months ago. Steve definitely advocates the magnesium arm wand, and Arnie in Texas is happy with the magnesium arm wands.

Frank prefers the wood arm wand, although there are two different wood options and I’m not sure which one I would go with. I will have to have another communication with Frank about that choice.

You are right that the tonearm can be optimized for cartridges of various weights.

I was fishing for somebody who is using an Opus 1on the LT. We know John is very satisfied using his GFS on his LT.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If you are going to use Opus1, the 3012R is the most reasonable choice imo. No need to try othe arm to find out that you have overspent. I am a good example of curiosity kills the wallet :D. I don’t have 30 years experience like many people here so I shortcut my learning process by buying whatever I was curious of. I hope I could save you some bucks.

Kind regards,
Tang

Thank you, Tang.

I could simply get a second 3012R and put the Opus 1 on a second 3012R. I do find the LT intriguing, as it seems to be a very clever and yet simple mechanism for achieving a linear track.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I also have heard the Schröder Arm--it is excellent--I think Mosin(Win) uses one too with his table.

Frank told me he has the "magic" bearings made especially for him by SKN!

Top class product and extremely personable gentleman as well--buy with absolute confidence

BruceD

I don't have it on my personal table, but I have tables out in the field that have it. Properly set up, it is very good.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It does require a very stable platform.

Thank you very much for posting here!

And thank you for your advice. The turntable on which the LT would be mounted will be resting on the Vintage Audio “Nothing” stand which weighs approximately 700 poinds and is 100% rigid/0% compliant.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

And thank you for your advice. The turntable on which the LT would be mounted will be resting on the Vintage Audio “Nothing” stand which weighs approximately 700 poinds and is 100% rigid/0% compliant.

Don't forget the mass of the turntable and armboard themselves. You will have one of the most stable tone arm platforms known in the high end vinyl world, IMO, judging from the photos and reports that I have seen.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

More like 600-700kg :).

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

Kind regards,
Tang

Cheers Mr Tang !!! :D

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

You'll be in great shape here for this arm. I only heard the wood wand in my system, the magnesium wasn't available at that point. I heard no deficiencies in leading edge or dynamics that you might improve upon with a metal wand. In the end here, may depend on your cartridge. A wood arm will likely absorb resonance better (which a lyra might like and the combo i used). I will say my Allearts MC2 Finish and the LT was a special combination. I did not have the goldfinger statement at that point in time...Good luck Ron !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing