Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: {interconnector and Speaker cables Recommendation}

Quote Originally Posted by Empirical Audio View Post
    Since they have very high "Q", they have a passive termination that eliminates ringing on the cable. Silver-plated copper. These are very fast and yet very transparent.

Steve N.
    LMAO, Steve, you are funnier than all get out, just what the 'H' is 'very fast and transparent' supposed to mean ? Why use such snake oil BS ?
    Cheers - Dave

Try as many as you can. Noise suppression is the most important. See if the manufacturer explains in general what they do to suppress noise and improve the audio signal. As a rule of thumb..I always go by soundstage width and overall quality. I also think the noise floor is very important, which effects the soundstage. The less noise moves you closer to the music and improves clarity. Good luck.
    Speakers: ParAcas Satellites ParAcas Dual 16 subwoofer Velodyne FSR18 Fulton Little Maestros Mission speakers
    Electronics: Agtron Platinum Mono Blocks Accuphase C200 preamp Accuphase P300 amplifer Parasound amplifier ParAcas Sierra electronic crossover
    Digital: Monarchy NM24 DAC Sony DVD Transport
    Tuner: McIntosh MR78
    Cables: NBS Statement,Pro,Master Cables, Nirvana Digital SPDIF Cable
    Turntable: Linn LP12 Technics 1200
    RTR: Ampex 350,351,440BC,MR70
    Studer C37 60hz,Crown 2-844,824

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    LOL Paul, you obviously didn't see the once or two of levity I was projecting.

I am curious though, do you strictly reject the 'placebo possibilities' ?
    Goodness no. Placebo is the backbone of the unscrupulous in this hobby. That doesn't mean science isn't science and reality isn't reality. Many use placebo to discount that which they don't understand.
    Paul

Power - Torus 75 amp WMT. Furutech NCF Lines, Flux-50s, Outlets, PC's. Star ground.
    Cables - Nordost Valhalla 2 and Odin (phono).
    Analog Source- ARC Ref 10 Phono. Acoustic Sig Ascona MKII, TA-9000 arm, Lyra Atlas.
    Digital Source- MSB Reference DAC, Femto 33.
    Amplification - Soulution 721 Pre and 501 Monos.
    Speakers - Raidho D3.1
    Room Acoustics - Acoustic Frontiers Design, RPG Plates, Absorption and Diffraction, and Custom Helmholtz Traps.
    Stands - Solid Walnut by Timber Nation.

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerD View Post
    Try as many as you can. Noise suppression is the most important. See if the manufacturer explains in general what they do to suppress noise and improve the audio signal. As a rule of thumb..I always go by soundstage width and overall quality. I also think the noise floor is very important, which effects the soundstage. The less noise moves you closer to the music and improves clarity. Good luck.
    Yep, for interconnect systems it's all about noise & interference. However it seems that just a little bit of added noise can be enjoyable (even if it's not accurate or hi-fi).

While with loudspeaker cables, interference is possible but not very common, so it comes down to total end-to-end resistance/impedance.
    Kevin

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-FiGuy View Post
    A speaker cable with anything in it other than wire/insulation/terminals ceases to be a cable, it is now a component.
    Absolutely!

People dress up components as cables simply by hard wiring pieces of cable to their components and putting the component in as small a box as possible.

One example recently that cracks me up is the Burson Cable +. It has a cheap SS voltage amp (+6dB) powered by USB in it. If this makes an improvement between your source and pre/amp all it proves is your source's output section is garbage, which may be common but this isn't a cable, it's a preamp. The +6dB makes it able to "beat" almost any cable as well because people prefer higher SPLs.

Also, this thread is making my decision not to give information unless directly asked seem like a great idea. I've recently realized the futility, or even worse, the harm created by attempting to provide information on a subject like this. It's pointless when people are overwhelmed with conflicting information. Home demo, that is the key to achieving your goals and the only advice I'm going to give in the future.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Addicted to Best!
    Lots of good cables have various means to do transmission-line termination as well as mitigating dielectric absorption. Nothing wrong with these mitigation schemes.

Some IC's have DC power applied to a shield to charge the dielectric. This mitigates much of the dielectric absorption effect. This is not snake oil.

Some speaker cables have transmission-line terminations or filters in them. This eliminates ringing in high-Q cable designs. Also not snake-oil.

It would be helpful if more designers had EE degrees or at least knew something about physics.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio
    Last edited by Empirical Audio; 04-18-2018 at 10:51 AM.

And my other decision not to respond to guys like Steve N is also a great idea.

What's that quote about fighting with pigs? Oh yeah...

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw

I think this is great advice that I'm finally going to follow. I just don't give AF anymore.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Addicted to Best!
    Dave - My post was not responding to yours. It just happened to come after it.

I refrain from attacking any business on the forums.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

Nobody believes that, Steve. And if they're smart they won't believe anything you say...
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Addicted to Best!
    Dave, while sometimes we have very different viewpoints on technical things, there are other times that I agree with you completely.
    Kevin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234