Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: {interconnector and Speaker cables Recommendation}

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    I'm just going to recommend you demo whatever cables you're interested in because there's SO MUCH conflicting information out there... I'm not going to even try to give you more. Good Luck!
    Go with this option to test ZenWave.

You could use Canare 4S11 for speaker cables, it is what is in your speakers.

I think most cables are fluff. But I also think BJC are trash - sound dead and the ends destory your plating on contacts.
    Industry Affiliation: Folsom

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pb Blimp View Post
    Kevin, So you do not believe inductance and capacitance filter frequencies in the audible range and, as such, designers vary these levels to dial in cable's FR to taste?
    Not for any reasonable interconnect system.

For speaker cables, what matters is the cable's end-to-end resistance/impedance in relationship to the loudspeaker's impedance curve. So only for very long cables or those special loudspeakers that have low impedance at high frequencies (like Apogee) will inductance matter. Capacitance will only matter with legacy or boutique amplifiers.
    Kevin

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar
    Kevin, So you do not believe inductance and capacitance filter frequencies in the audible range and, as such, designers vary these levels to dial in cable's FR to taste?
    Sure they can , i can put a coil in series with your Ls wire , and IT Will drop your higher freq down like the stockmarket in 08, it depends on the value of inductance.
    PS ah your talking straight wire here i didnt know

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    Not for any reasonable interconnect system.

For speaker cables, what matters is the cable's end-to-end resistance/impedance in relationship to the loudspeaker's impedance curve. So only for very long cables or those special loudspeakers that have low impedance at high frequencies (like Apogee) will inductance matter. Capacitance will only matter with legacy or boutique amplifiers.
    It seems we are talking about very different things (deja vu all over again). You are talking about the ability of wire to get enough power to the speakers to drive them properly. (Like an electrician might.) I am talking about the subtle influence the wires are capable of having on frequency response as a function of its capacitance and inductance. As it relates to simply getting enough juice through the wire to make un-distorted sound, I agree with your observations. As it relates to dialing in FR to taste using the wires electrical properties, I do not.
    Paul

Power - Torus 75 amp WMT. Furutech NCF Lines, Flux-50s, Outlets, PC's. Star ground.
    Cables - Nordost Valhalla 2 and Odin (phono).
    Analog Source- ARC Ref 10 Phono. Acoustic Sig Ascona MKII, TA-9000 arm, Lyra Atlas.
    Digital Source- MSB Reference DAC, Femto 33.
    Amplification - Soulution 721 Pre and 501 Monos.
    Speakers - Raidho D3.1
    Room Acoustics - Acoustic Frontiers Design, RPG Plates, Absorption and Diffraction, and Custom Helmholtz Traps.
    Stands - Solid Walnut by Timber Nation.

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by waimac View Post
    Thank you very much for all of the comments and information. I shall borrow some transparent cables to test first before making any decision. Thx
    It is interesting that it was Transparent cables that I first owned that prompted me to get in to the cable business. I sold them as soon as I made my own cables. I don't make cables anymore BTW.

Steve N.

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by andromedaaudio View Post
    Sure they can , i can put a coil in series with your Ls wire , and IT Will drop your higher freq down like the stockmarket in 08, it depends on the value of inductance
    Of course coil inductors will do that! But aren't we talking about reasonable cables?
    Kevin

Yes i Saw it too late ,lol

PS there are cable companies doing actually what i said and asking good prices for it
    The inductance value will off course be not to intrusive , it solves the sharp sounding ls problem a bit lol

Addicted to Best!
    It seems we are talking about very different things (deja vu all over again). You are talking about the ability of wire to get enough power to the speakers to drive them properly. (Like an electrician might.)
    Not not all. Only in pro set-ups with extremely long speaker cables and low impedance speakers do the cables absorb a significant percentage of the power.
    What happens is when a loudspeaker's impedance curve looks like a rollercoaster track, cables that have a high end-to-end resistance curve can act as a voltage divider and change the speakers response with frequency.

I am talking about the subtle influence the wires are capable of having on frequency response as a function of its capacitance and inductance. As it relates to simply getting enough juice through the wire to make un-distorted sound, I agree with your observations. As it relates to dialing in FR to taste using the wires electrical properties, I do not.
    Except in the case I noted above, speaker cable capacitance has no impact on loudspeaker sound.
    Speaker cables with high total end-to-end inductance will only have high frequency roll-off in speakers like those Apogee's above.
    Kevin

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by andromedaaudio View Post
    Yes i Saw it too late ,lol
    But then there are those MIT cables with maybe an R, C, L network.
    Kevin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast