UDMA Enabled Flash Cards

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
How many of you are using UDMA CF cards and if so what if any differences are there in picture quality?

"The advantages of UDMA over previous transfer modes are the use of double edge clocking. That means data is transferred on both the rising and falling edge of the clock. This not only doubles the data transfer rate per clock, but also results in increased reliability by the use of cyclical redundancy checking (CRC) for data transferred over the bus."

I understand that data is transferred more quickly. How do these UDMA enabled cards differ from cards that transfer 15X-60X

My last question is whether UDMA Enabled is only available for Compact Flash cards or are they also available for SDHC cards? I ask this latter question as I just bought a Canon S95 to take on a cruise next month and am wanting a top notch SDHC card

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
There should be zero difference in picture quality (in this case, bits really are just bits), and having CRC is a big advantage. A clock signals goes up, then down, up, down... Standard transfers happen once per clock cycle, using just one edge of the clock. UDMA (and DDR memory) use both edges, transferring twice as much data per clock cycle (period). This requires greater bandwidth circuits as capture happen twic as fast (in half the time). Error correction (CRC) helps maintain data integrity despite the higher rates.

I don't have any (getting a good DSLR got put off for a while) but have friends who like them a lot. Don't know about SDHC versions, but they should work fine. Get good ones, not generic (I have had, and heard, of many problems with the copies) from B&H or whomever.

I wil say that I am not sure there's any real benefit with an S95 except when you download the pix to your PC. The faster cards mainly benefit cameras with lots of pixels and high burst rates.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I wil say that I am not sure there's any real benefit with an S95 except when you download the pix to your PC. The faster cards mainly benefit cameras with lots of pixels and high burst rates.

That was my thought as well Don

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I wouldn't worry about the lingo that manufacturers use to describe how they get higher performance. UDMA was a technique uses a while back so it is no longer an innovation.

What matters is the exact throughput you get in your camera and in your PC. These are different things as cameras are usually a generation or two behind the card capability.

Fortunately, there is a great resource to get this data: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Rob benchmarks many cameras and cards against each other and posts the data int he above database. It is focused on DSLR cameras though as those are the people who usually care and need the speed. A P&S camera doesn't usually have the frame rate to require the highest performance. Still, if you buy a card which has high performance with DSLRs, then it is likely to be a fast card regardless of where you plug it in.

He also benchmarks flash card readers.

Only hitch is that he has been slower to update his database than when he started.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
OT: Amir -- Can USB actually do DMA? Is that just in the camera? I am not sure the USB protocol and if the drivers have DMA (I am asking because I do not know, something I have not looked up).

Curious - Don

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have not had to write a driver for USB so don't have first hand experience. That said, whether a device supports DMA is a function of the host interface and in the last 10+ years, it has become trivial to provide DMA support in these controllers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing