Some 2018 Axpona Pics

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hard to beat MBL for 3D open sound and SLAM!

And don't forget SMT panels on the right!

IMG_0676.JPG

caesar

May 30, 2010
IMG_0661.JPG

YG and MSB. This is a game over system, even in a tiny little hotel room.

caesar

May 30, 2010
IMG_0672.JPG

High Water Sound room is spectacular at every show, including here. And check out the desk on the right! Anyone whining about bad sound at shows can stop by this room, and find musical bliss for 3-4 hours.

TW - Acustic, Horning speakers. Not sure what the amps are, but a very emotionally-expressive system

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
IMG_0678.JPG

Gryphon with Jadis Integrated - for those who want a very "natural" sound.

caesar

May 30, 2010
IMG_0674.JPG

Full Gryphon System. I liked it better with Jadis driving the speakers

caesar

May 30, 2010
porsche-boxster-gts.jpg

I wonder how many of the exhibitors realize they are competing with this. And yes, it's nice to have both

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
127767AC-3C8B-4A91-B522-4AF27C7EDC10.jpg
0463D603-D433-4689-BCDA-C4E737B43A43.jpg
2A6B9FE1-38D4-4BFE-B6F8-4DE1921848A4.jpg
049D4D03-BABB-4193-988B-1FE3A281FA40.jpg
181C9AFC-0D52-4975-B0F7-C930EAAE8FF7.jpg

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
E83E925E-D605-424C-9291-085E8D690D33.jpg
87494B88-BF38-4C22-B5FF-EEC6308F8989.jpg
02850A44-1755-4AA7-863F-A3D2DF186454.jpg
4C6803C4-80A4-40C3-81DC-3204A6E6239B.jpg
C61FAF00-4DF4-4E17-8587-A193DDD42A8A.jpg

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
View attachment 39948

Göbel Wow! Accurate and Musical with CH Precision

Hi Caesar,

Those were the speakers that WERE in my room. I am curious how they scaled in such a small room. A quick note from Elliot said he was getting about 60-70% of what he got in my room. My front end was the MSB Select II so I have no idea how the CH DAC compares, but I was blown away by the accuracy and detail and soundstage in my room.

I know they are doing the REAL THING at RMAF with the big Gobel and a full dual mono CH Precision setup in one of the main rooms. They just wanted to introduce this to the American market and didn't have the time to get a bigger room.

I am curious about the sound in the room as I will be moving to a "smaller" room, although not so small as they were being shown in.

Thanks
Howie

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi Caesar,

Those were the speakers that WERE in my room. I am curious how they scaled in such a small room. A quick note from Elliot said he was getting about 60-70% of what he got in my room. My front end was the MSB Select II so I have no idea how the CH DAC compares, but I was blown away by the accuracy and detail and soundstage in my room.

I know they are doing the REAL THING at RMAF with the big Gobel and a full dual mono CH Precision setup in one of the main rooms. They just wanted to introduce this to the American market and didn't have the time to get a bigger room.

I am curious about the sound in the room as I will be moving to a "smaller" room, although not so small as they were being shown in.

Thanks
Howie

Hi Priaptor,

Sorry this is brief and my writing ischoppy as I am on the road...

First of all, this speaker is truly impressive!!! And in a small hotel room, with a large, wooden headboard on one side and a table like you see above in High Water Sound room above on the other side. The room measurement guys would go have a coronary if they measured, but the speaker still SHINED...

In fact, I have never heard a speaker that marries Valin's platonic ideal of "transparency to source" yet without a hint of analytic sterileness, along with Harry Pearson's platonic ideal of the Absolute Sound. It's like a Martin Logan CLX without the thinness and with full, great bass.

Even in a small room, one can tell their single driver is splendid. And integration with the bass drivers seems impeccable. It is a superbly engineered luxury product...

Sure, the stage could be wider and bigger, but heck, it's a friggin, horrendous hotel room! And it was set up in a day! So no need to nit pick on anything...

If your room is larger, you will do even better...my 2 cents would be to get some bass trapping in the corners (without deadening the room), and get a couple of diffusers on each side to deal with reflections and give you spaciousness... I was thinking 2 SMT wings (or RPG equivalents) on each side and 2 wings behind your head to mitigate the problems of a "small" room, and you will be in great business!

Good Luck!

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Hi Priaptor,

Sorry this is brief and my writing ischoppy as I am on the road...

First of all, this speaker is truly impressive!!! And in a small hotel room, with a large, wooden headboard on one side and a table like you see above in High Water Sound room above on the other side. The room measurement guys would go have a coronary if they measured, but the speaker still SHINED...

In fact, I have never heard a speaker that marries Valin's platonic ideal of "transparency to source" yet without a hint of analytic sterileness, along with Harry Pearson's platonic ideal of the Absolute Sound. It's like a Martin Logan CLX without the thinness and with full, great bass.

Even in a small room, one can tell their single driver is splendid. And integration with the bass drivers seems impeccable. It is a superbly engineered luxury product...

Sure, the stage could be wider and bigger, but heck, it's a friggin, horrendous hotel room! And it was set up in a day! So no need to nit pick on anything...

If your room is larger, you will do even better...my 2 cents would be to get some bass trapping in the corners (without deadening the room), and get a couple of diffusers on each side to deal with reflections and give you spaciousness... I was thinking 2 SMT wings (or RPG equivalents) on each side and 2 wings behind your head to mitigate the problems of a "small" room, and you will be in great business!

Good Luck!

Truly appreciate your impressions.

After the show they come back to my room until Elliot gets his studio setup and my current room is incredibly spacious and the speakers shine beyond belief but as I have said in prior posts I will be moving to a smaller place, sound room still yet to be determined, but will definitely be smaller than my current 24'x32'x12' room so I was very interested to see how these perform in a small room.

I had the same impressions as you after living with them for close to a month. They left my visitors breathless after they heard it.

Thanks
Howie

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing