Kind regards and salutations to all

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am a vinyl only addict from the United Kingdom. I take great pleasure in reading the posts on this site as I now realise that I am not alone in my madness.

Periodically I will write things that may offend, this said I am not a troll. However I have a very poor grasp of millennial style wokeness and tend to get to the point relatively quickly.

Hopefully this serves as a prior yet long standing apology for ripping Ked a new one.

Peace, love and harmony. The General. P2290999.jpg P2300001.jpg P2290989.jpg P2300004.jpg P2290997.jpg

Last edited:

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Vyger Indian Signature TT, Sumile cartridge, Thomas Mayer D3a Phono, TM 10Y line stage, TM 46 monos, Shun Mook stands, TT stand, Shun Mook cable, Shun Mook giant resonators, Shun Mook transformer, Shun Mook plank. AER Pnoe with BD4 signature drivers. P2290993.jpg P2300011.jpg P2290991.jpg P2300008.jpg

Attachments

• P2290998.jpg
    P2290998.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 702
Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
welcome General, to WBF.

horn owning Ked rippers are always welcome.:rolleyes:

of course, we need pictures of your impressive gear list and room. (oh goody, I see you added very impressive pictures.....thanks).

best regards,

Mike

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What an opening! :) Welcome to WBF, General!

Please tell us about those horns: driver details, crossover frequency, etc.

Thomas Mayer is very exotic! Please tell us about those amplifiers.

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
Welcome General !

Wonderful system !

I give you Five Stars, or Five Shun Mook pucs (whatever you prefer) for your love of Shun Mook products.

Roch

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You don’t like Shun Mooks, then LOL.
You may be Zero Star, but your mission is “Shock And Awe”.
I think your Vyger tt would be a very nice alternative to the AS2000.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oh wow Sammy welcome

This forum cannot handle two shun Mook fans. Especially if between us we have 60000 vinyl records. And most people know I have less than 100

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
What an opening! :) Welcome to WBF, General!

Please tell us about those horns: driver details, crossover frequency, etc.

Thomas Mayer is very exotic! Please tell us about those amplifiers.

Dear Ron,

with regard to the speakers there is no crossover as they run full range. In room they measure 119 db.

The Mayer amps are 46 tubes driving 46 tubes. The output is just over 1 watt. I bought them after hearing the entry level 46 power amp that Thomas makes. Suffice to say I am unable to describe sonic qualities however I feel confident in saying they are up there with the best.

The D3a and 10y were really bought on a flyer i.e; they look nice and he made them. This may sound whimsical and it is possible that I got lucky, as long distance buying contains more caveats than I care to mention.

Valve amps that perform as such are very rare. Thomas has taken attention to detail to all new levels as far as I am concerned.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Salve Bonzo,

From one "ass-burgers" to another, game on. Please read the previous as mightily tongue in cheek. I am fully aware that despite your insane rantings you mean well. May I suggest that until you have woken up with a soldering iron in your coffee and Oreo biscuit dust in your underpants you are not yet qualified to comment.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
welcome General, to WBF.

horn owning Ked rippers are always welcome.:rolleyes:

of course, we need pictures of your impressive gear list and room. (oh goody, I see you added very impressive pictures.....thanks).

best regards,

Mike

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your kind comments and your fastidious diligence and execution.

How do you feel about a new sticky titled "Ked's Med's"?

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Welcome General !

Wonderful system !

I give you Five Stars, or Five Shun Mook pucs (whatever you prefer) for your love of Shun Mook products.

Roch

Thank you equally for your kind words.

Sadly Bill Y is ageing somewhat faster than hoped in lieu I intend to hardcore bulk buy.

Kind regards, G.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Zerostar, can you enlighten me a bit on the Pnoes.

I heard them about 2-3 years ago at the Windsor show, in what was a nice room, tt, tubes, Mooks etc.

The spell was binding me on the usual vocals and small scale jazz.

Then Pink Floyd/DSOTM cranked thru, and Money just fell apart.

I was left feeling that yet another horn demo failed when faced with rock, flatter less audiophile fare.

You obviously are a fan of the Pnoes, can you enlighten me.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Zerostar, can you enlighten me a bit on the Pnoes.

I heard them about 2-3 years ago at the Windsor show, in what was a nice room, tt, tubes, Mooks etc.

The spell was binding me on the usual vocals and small scale jazz.

Then Pink Floyd/DSOTM cranked thru, and Money just fell apart.

I was left feeling that yet another horn demo failed when faced with rock, flatter less audiophile fare.

You obviously are a fan of the Pnoes, can you enlighten me.

Dear Spirit,

99% of my music was pressed post '45 pre '73 as such I never hear the falling apart of which you speak.

The Floyd album is certainly a musical benchmark just not a recording or engineering masterpiece. As it is after Pet Sounds I have to call it derivative.

The studio where it was made devoted all of the serious equipment to classical. I have a letter addressed to the GM of Abbey Road at the time, politely requesting; "please may we have access to the better stuff kind regards, The Beatles?".

Compare the renaissance first album to Dark Side and you may get where I'm coming from.

My system is about playing music not audiophile sound effects performed by fat fingered, ill prepared part timers.

Listen to something recorded on Neuemann ribbons, Pathe Marconi engineered and cut on an Ortofon Lyrec ideally fed by a Telefunken M10a.

Deutsche Grammophon is a perfect example of hero to zero, the vinyl they produced in the 50's is up there with the best and once they switched to transistor, oh dear. Where as the eastern block countries maintained valve well into the 90's Hungaroton has a particularly good discography containing many scintillating performances; Ede Zathureczky, Denes Kovacs, and on Jugoton Zlatko Balokovic to name but a few.

I am a hardcore purist, and I buy my power cords from B&Q.

Kind regards, G.

Reactions: Ovenmitt

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
G, you should stretch to 1974.

I’ve just picked up Previn/Planets EMI from that year, and I’m transported.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
G, I’m apologising for being overly dramatic on the Pnoes, the tendency online is always to use extremes of language .
Take my comments with a salt mine please.

Last edited:

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
G, I’m apologising for being overly dramatic on the Pnoes, the tendency online is always to use extremes of language .
Take my comments with a salt mine please.

No need, the Pnoe meet my personal criteria and have yet to be dethroned.

The Previn Planets is OK not awesome in my opinion there are far better performances.

Kind regards, G.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear Spirit,

99% of my music was pressed post '45 pre '73 as such I never hear the falling apart of which you speak.

The Floyd album is certainly a musical benchmark just not a recording or engineering masterpiece. As it is after Pet Sounds I have to call it derivative.

The studio where it was made devoted all of the serious equipment to classical. I have a letter addressed to the GM of Abbey Road at the time, politely requesting; "please may we have access to the better stuff kind regards, The Beatles?".

Compare the renaissance first album to Dark Side and you may get where I'm coming from.

My system is about playing music not audiophile sound effects performed by fat fingered, ill prepared part timers.

Listen to something recorded on Neuemann ribbons, Pathe Marconi engineered and cut on an Ortofon Lyrec ideally fed by a Telefunken M10a.

Deutsche Grammophon is a perfect example of hero to zero, the vinyl they produced in the 50's is up there with the best and once they switched to transistor, oh dear. Where as the eastern block countries maintained valve well into the 90's Hungaroton has a particularly good discography containing many scintillating performances; Ede Zathureczky, Denes Kovacs, and on Jugoton Zlatko Balokovic to name but a few.

I am a hardcore purist, and I buy my power cords from B&Q.

Kind regards, G.

Welcome G., looks like we have some similar ideals:)!

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing