12 Young American Jazz Musiciians you need to knoq-: helen Armitage

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

GREAT Post. thanks. Some I knew, some I did not! Cecile McLorin Savant (who has been called the new "Sarah Vaughan") sang a live set broadcast from Dizzy's in NYC a while ago which included one of the dirtiest songs I ever heard. As she said, she will probably never sing it again live because it is so long (20+ minutes?) but it was mesmerizing (about a woman who shoots the lover of her man and she is thus sent to prison, but has no regrets!). Amazing singing as well as story-telling. Doubtful anyone else could do it justice.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
GREAT Post. thanks. Some I knew, some I did not! Cecile McLorin Savant (who has been called the new "Sarah Vaughan") sang a live set broadcast from Dizzy's in NYC a while ago which included one of the dirtiest songs I ever heard. As she said, she will probably never sing it again live because it is so long (20+ minutes?) but it was mesmerizing (about a woman who shoots the lover of her man and she is thus sent to prison, but has no regrets!). Amazing singing as well as story-telling. Doubtful anyone else could do it justice.
I am a big Sarah Vaughan fan. I have a top ten female vocalist list in my head. Some of them have gone on to ancestry. If she keeps working hard, she can join that list. I especially appreciate she is not a slave to the classics.
As you probably know Sarah's voice changed as she left hard jazz and went more to show tunes. IMO. I would match her more to the early Sarah.

Note: Much to my surprise the recording quality is first rate.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing