High Velocity HVAC

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
For a number of reasons I have been considering an Unico High Velocity HVAC. Anyone have any experience here on what to expect? Ideally I don't want an annoying noise in the audio room.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Stephen, low not high velocity is audio's friend. Ideally we want high airflow with the least amount of turbulence which is usually the result of high pressure. It is pressure that adds greatly to velocity. The rule of thumb is to go ducted and fave the ducts some 30 to 35% larger than standard and to have the ducts insulated. That way there is lots of cold or hot air flowing in without any whooshing. Hope this helps.

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
It does! I was hoping I could do high Velocity to get rid of some of my soffits in the kitchen. Obviously not an ideal choice for the stereo so will think of other options. Being on a slab is no fun!

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Buddy of mine has it in house, noticeably noisier that my standard HVAC

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Stephen, low not high velocity is audio's friend. Ideally we want high airflow with the least amount of turbulence which is usually the result of high pressure. It is pressure that adds greatly to velocity. The rule of thumb is to go ducted and fave the ducts some 30 to 35% larger than standard and to have the ducts insulated. That way there is lots of cold or hot air flowing in without any whooshing. Hope this helps.

I agree with Jack.

in my HVAC installation I did a few other things to minimize the noise.
--HVAC is on the 'dirty circuit' AC grid panel in my barn along with the lights and 'dirty outlets'. I have a completely separate 70 amp service to a balanced isolation transformer to feed my listening system. so there is zero effect of the HVAC on the system performance.
--the air exchanger is mounted outside on the other side of my barn with three walls between it and my listening room. totally isolated.
--my air box is in the attic above the hallway outside my room. so it was not directly next to or above my room.
--the air box is mounted on a metal tray with rubber pad to minimize resonance transfer.
--I have three 90 degree turns in the duct work before it exited into the ceiling of my room to dissipate the noise, and the ducting was split into two separate runs (2 runs can substitute for larger ducts).
--those output vents are in the rear of my room in the ceiling, the returns are on either side of the front of the room near the floor which gives great flow and I can have 30 people in my room in the summer and it can cool it in a hurry but QUIET. and the air flow is from behind and above me and not into my face.
--with no music playing the only thing you can hear is the control module on the wall softly clicking on or off. any conversation or music of any kind zero notice even of those clicks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing