Mike Lavigne’s room and neutrality

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I think you should sell off and start again otherwise it will get boring

Heh, Heh! I think you get a newspaper whack on the nose.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well Mike, Ked will tell you how proud I was over my last space. I’m afraid he called me out pretty accurately. I guess some audiophile sins are common to us all.

However as with all things subjective, the very first gear he asked me to listen to as an alleged improvement was so allergic to my ears that we hit the rails on reasonable swapping of views. Amongst other disconnections.
And we didn’t really have much to agree about in common on other things we heard.

The core of my system gear is unchanged, but the current results are unrecognisable from before.

Borne out by every visitor here genuinely being complimentary while still giving me constructive criticism.

Indeed I’m more likely to tell them all what I’m still unhappy about, perceived shortfalls.

And my visit to U.K.-Paul gave me massive food for thought.

But with a recent, effectively mega breakthrough, I have overnight lost pretty much all my remaining misgivings, and am now super confident on my sound, meaning my planned slow down in upgrading ad infinitum is perfectly timed.

However I know we can all rely on you to keep pushing the audio boat out.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Some well known experts and acoustic consultants tell us that concrete walls are a nightmare. The main problem in most small or medium sized rooms are the nulls and peaks caused by bass reflection, solid walls can be very problematic.

And others say the opposite, who is right?

My own experience is that solid construction makes a better listening room.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Well Mike, Ked will tell you how proud I was over my last space. I’m afraid he called me out pretty accurately. I guess some audiophile sins are common to us all.

However as with all things subjective, the very first gear he asked me to listen to as an alleged improvement was so allergic to my ears that we hit the rails on reasonable swapping of views. Amongst other disconnections.
And we didn’t really have much to agree about in common on other things we heard.

The core of my system gear is unchanged, but the current results are unrecognisable from before.

Borne out by every visitor here genuinely being complimentary while still giving me constructive criticism.

Indeed I’m more likely to tell them all what I’m still unhappy about, perceived shortfalls.

And my visit to U.K.-Paul gave me massive food for thought.

But with a recent, effectively mega breakthrough, I have overnight lost pretty much all my remaining misgivings, and am now super confident on my sound, meaning my planned slow down in upgrading ad infinitum is perfectly timed.

However I know we can all rely on you to keep pushing the audio boat out.

that's too much pressure to carry anyone else's needs. if I buy something or change something because others expect me to then I've gone off the rails. and for sure we can sometimes unknowingly get sucked into that tread mill.

yet enjoying the interaction of others in the hobby is part of the fun, but just don't let it get to you. don't allow feedback to get in the way of your own hobby enjoyment.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, I had three major criticisms of my system/in my old room.

One was that my dynamics were too soft. This led directly to my changing a Burmester 948 conditioner for the Westwick 8kVA balanced transformer.

Another was that my bass was MIA, which led to more powerful SET amps, and improved power cords and speaker cables.

And the last was Ked’s universal criticism that my harsh room acoustics were debilitating the whole lot.

It was a few years later when I packed my bags and set up shop here at the chapel that this last criticism was addressed.

I had a pro-audio installer here recently (who has helped set up gigs for Prince amongst others) who really feels my sound hit the mark, and two trusted friends off WBF who both have exemplary systems of their own and who I’ve encouraged to be absolutely frank with me, who both really like what they hear in the loft.

I know deep down that I’m achieving something really special, if any blunt criticism comes my way, I’ll know if it’s reasonable.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Even at 1 Cent to the Dollar, Ked won’t be biting LOL.

gshelley

Member Sponsor
Jan 10, 2011
Austin, TX
I agree with this 100%+. I have learned a lot from Mike, and others here.

gshelley

Member Sponsor
Jan 10, 2011
Austin, TX
I agree with this 100%+ with Rockitman. I have learned a lot from Mike, and others here. Thanks for being willing to hang it all out there.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing