The XP-27 has landed -- and it's staying right here!

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Over the last week or ten days I've been comparing Pass' new XP-27 phono amp to the XP-25 I've been living with for a couple of years. I'll cut right to the chase -- this is NOT a subtle upgrade. The Pass website talks about changes to the power supply and front end input stage, and the sharp-eyed will note a change from the flat ribbon cable to a beefier round umbilical with cannon-plugs to link the two chassis. What they didn't mention was that somehow Wayne Colburn managed to turn the Presence control up to 11 or 12 -- players and vocalists are IN the room. The XP-25 set the bar pretty high but the new model vaults the bar with ease and sticks the landing for a 10.0.

Instrumental textures, musical detail, tonal saturation, micro- and macro-dynamics -- it's all off the charts. If the XP-25 was a little laid-back (and I'd never thought that about the XP-25 before), the XP-27 is vivid and lifelike and very, very present with absolutely no hint of being in-your-face forward.

Mark at Reno HiFi hooked me up with an in-home demo and of course continues his unbroken string of never having me send anything back that I've tried out. Sly marketing technique coupled with fantastic customer service, that one.

Bottom line, I'm very pleased and yes, it's definitely a keeper.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 308

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations, Steve. I see that you like Pass electronics. I just upgraded my XP20 to the new XP22. I will be trying the XP27 at some point to see how it compares to my XP25. Did you notice any difference in noise floor? That is, did you compare each with no music playing but high volume to see if you noticed any difference in noise coming out of your speakers? Also, besides the improved sense of Presence, how about overall resolution and dynamics? Thanks, and congratulations again. I have high expectations for this new phono stage.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Congratulations, Steve. I see that you like Pass electronics. I just upgraded my XP20 to the new XP22. I will be trying the XP27 at some point to see how it compares to my XP25. Did you notice any difference in noise floor? That is, did you compare each with no music playing but high volume to see if you noticed any difference in noise coming out of your speakers? Also, besides the improved sense of Presence, how about overall resolution and dynamics? Thanks, and congratulations again. I have high expectations for this new phono stage.

Thanks Peter. I didn't do the high volume/no music/ear to the speaker comparison between the two, but I kind of did that with the XP-27 at a normal to high level when I was seeing if I wanted or needed to use the ground jumper between tonearm and phono amp chassis. I found that the XP-27 was dead quiet even without the jumper attached, so I left it off.

Resolution, dynamics and low-level detail, as well as instrumental separation were all in favor of the XP-27. It wasn't a subtle improvement I had to do much A/B to hear.

I think you'll be in for a treat when you get the XP-27 to try.

I've already told Mark I want the first XP-32 he gets when they're released -- after his own, of course!

Best regards,

Steve

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Congrats! Good to know this is not a subtle upgrade!

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Congratulations, Peter. Beautiful looking system and a very nice write-up. You articulate what you hear much better than I do. Many happy hours of listening to you.

Steve

Annapurna

Mar 19, 2018

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing