The Audio System and High-End Philosophy of Mike Lavigne

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Have you got WiFi in the air?
I bet your still on the ground then ,lol
I m now working for this new company i ve got already 25.000 miles in 2,5 months.
Are you and Ron going for the audiophile goldcard?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yeah still not taken off.

Marc... You will be interested.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm.
Interested, as in like I am in Gillian Anderson ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Landed

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’m trying to get excited .
Are you coming back?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lol

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I have set up 3 inputs into my devialets , uncorrected, DIRAC and Trinnov and can instantly flip between them.
Uncorrected is not acceptable at all..end of story..those bass nodes are ridiculous.
anyway to get to the nub of the matter , the correction via dirac enhances imaging and is really great in the bass , albeit the correction can fall down a bit if you do full freq.

When you first hear what the trinnov does you realise you need to change your view on recorded music presentation..the change is jaw dropping , what stands out is the rock solid holographic imagery .. its so seductive .. it enables you to follow every thread in the music and imagine you are there..you can place instruments in 3d space ..clarity and bass improve amazingly especially the bass in depth and pitch definition.
Im not good with descriptions barring to say that I get a more immersive effect and it really not hard to believe that the performers are in front of me....
The correction is configurable so that you can lets say , just correct bass and phase..sounds quite different depending what you do and how you set it up..you can really make your system sound like you want

My pal was over a few days ago and he was playing reggae at crack your ceiling levels and he made a remark that the system doesnt do dub well and with a few tweaks I had him grooving and reaching for his stash :)

Great report Rodney. Thank you very much. I think I understand where you are coming from in your comments even down to the last line........;)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The question is that you only referred to the frequency response - that will depend on speaker and speaker positioning. As Mike found, only after having the speakers it is possible to adjust the acoustics to get a nice response. Bonnie is using them probably for evaluation and project development - not as a deliverable.

The other parameters that the acoustician can control are mostly related to time behavior - the decays - and the reflection level. They are complex to interpret and extremely subjective, as they have to be regarded as an whole not as individual measurements - she will probably explain them to you, but will not release them.

Did you notice that no owner of the great rooms we debate at WBF has released full measurements of his room? Some years ago I have privately asked a couple of owners for them and they told me they were asked not to divulge them. At that time I was the only one to show decays of bass frequencies in my room ...

BTW, Nyal Melior has an excellent introductory page to this subject - see http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/room-acoustic-measurements-101/

Okay, Francisco; now I understand. I will discuss this on my system thread now, as it is totally irrelevant to Mike's room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing