Frustrating Reading About all these Super Expensive Arms and Their Difficulty in Setup.

Vintages

Apr 8, 2018
Again, some of your points I can concur with. However, you lose me when you compare some of the typical vintage tables..Lenco, Garrads etc., with the best out there today. Once again, you talk of the Linn...which version, what model and how old? The LP12 in its current Klimax model with Radikal D is a very very different table than one that was built even ten years ago! Have you actually heard one of the new LP12 Klimax models, a current Basis or a current SME?
Listen to a Walker or a Acoustic Signature Invictus and then tell me that the old Lenco in a nice plinth competes....

Modified Lenco Custom Plinth with Talea or Graham Tonearm.

Go to Lenco Heaven
or search out Arthur Salvatores Detailed description on his website about the recent switch from Forsell to that Modified Lenco.

Hes been in the industry for 40years owned and tried many things. He would been the last person to concede victory to a humble lowly idler drive lenco. Lets be honest Its blasphemous in the audiophile world to praise a pauper over a king.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Modified Lenco Custom Plinth with Talea or Graham Tonearm.

Go to Lenco Heaven
or search out Arthur Salvatores Detailed description on his website about the recent switch from Forsell to that Modified Lenco.

Hes been in the industry for 40years owned and tried many things. He would been the last person to concede victory to a humble lowly idler drive lenco. Lets be honest Its blasphemous in the audiophile world to praise a pauper over a king.

Dear sir,

Are you offended by cost or difficulty in set up?

Either way I fail to grasp your point,all turntables are time consuming but not impossible to set up.

The best ones sound the best when one does not try to bend the rules.

In my experience the more one spends the better,I would not swap my Vyger for any idler.

Kind regards,G.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Kind of tired of listening to the woes of setting up these fortune costing arms only to hear its not good enough and its quite not right. If it cost 5000 in whatever currency it better be the best and easy to set up or its useless to me. Ive heard enough of the whining and complaining how that other one is just a bit better. Like really?

I dont mind spending the money but if it takes a full day to set up an arm and cartridge right then both are useless and unpractical. Give me a vintage sme, ortofon, jelco, saec, rega. Im tired about reading the woes of these abnoxious high end tonearms not quite right. Must be fantasy not reality listening.

A rega years ago was the rave of the audio world and it was amazing to my ears in mids highs and bass. What has happened in the analog world lately? Some have dug yourself a deep hole you cant get out of. Spending spending and more spending on something that doesnt really exist. Yet these manufacturers are making millions off many who are gullible. Linn Sondek is blamed for starting this madness with all the cash grabbing upgrades. Its all planned in advance folks to steal your money. Shame on them and some of you for believing it. Its getting ridiculous now.

Just because a tonearm costs more than 2000 units doesnt mean its sonically better than a 500 arm. I dare anyone to prove me or others who agree with me wrong. Lets not start with newer cartridges now. Its more snake oil above 600 bucks quid or euros whatever. Seriously its a cash cow and cash grab. Very sad it has come to this.

Audio should be fun beautiful and easy but this way overpriced astronomical priced turntable tonearm and cartridge crap has got to stop. Its gotten way out of hand now. Where did all the simlpicity go? What the heck was wrong with an s shaped tonearm on a great technics turntable? Or the rega tonearm just because it doesnt have vta its not audiophile. Bs. By what criteria. Who makes up these rules? Sounds like a religion now.

I like Rega. They are hassle free.......IF you use a Rega cart. Heck, you don't even need to know how to align a cart because Rega carts on Rega arms mount with 3 screws not the usual 2. No need to mess with VTA either because the carts are all the same height. Now what happens when you don't want a Rega cart and want to fit something else? Out comes the protractor and yes, you can buy aftermarket shims or VTA adjusters OR goodness gracious me, buy one from Rega itself. Shocker. Well no it isn't. The reference plane will change according to the height of the cart. That is it. Deal with it. Oh, Technics? The 1200 family members all have VTA adjustment. Scratch with a Shure? An Ortofon? A Stanton? No problem. Turn the ring. Just don't be clumsy and send the arm flying across the platter while you're doing that. Easier than taking the entire arm off and inserting a ring adjustable in increments of 2mm.

Hmm. There are a bunch of arms out with easy VTA adjustment. Loosen the locking screw, move arm up or down. Lock. Not as easy as the Technics but not rocket science or needing exceptional manual dexterity. Many with VTA on the fly as well. Much easier still! So the question is....who is really complaining about difficulty of set up? Is this really the issue? Practice makes things easier. Maybe you've been reading stuff written by a bunch of whiners. They just might be plain lazy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing