Test Pressings/Promo Copy LPs

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi all,

I have been hearing all these fuzz about test pressings and promo copies of an album sounding more 'superior' (ie., sounding better) to say, any commercial pressing of the same titles. Can any one shed light on this?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Phil,

I only have one and that would be Waltz for Debbie. To be honest it was no better to me than the commercial reissue that followed in terms of sonics. I just jumped on it because I didn't know how long the wait would be.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Phil,

I only have one and that would be Waltz for Debbie. To be honest it was no better to me than the commercial reissue that followed in terms of sonics. I just jumped on it because I didn't know how long the wait would be.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the info. I personally have never gotten any test pressings and it's good to hear a feedback.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi all,

I have been hearing all these fuzz about test pressings and promo copies of an album sounding more 'superior' (ie., sounding better) to say, any commercial pressing of the same titles. Can any one shed light on this?

In theory, a test pressing should be superior to the production LP; That's based up it being earlier off the press.

Reality, unfortunately, ofter differs from theory. Thus how the TP sounds greatly depends upon the company doing the test pressing and how the test pressing is made. For instance, some companies run the test pressings at the beginning of a production run. Often the press isn't quite up to temp, so the test not only won't sound better, and actually can sound worse, than the production LP. Other times, the test pressing is made between production runs and chances are the press is up to snuff. There, the TP may sound better since it's the earliest pressing from that stamper. If I remember correctly, the first 250 or so LPs off the stamper are thrown away since they are not quite up to snuff either.

Now I haven't compared TPs with the final product in all occassions. What I can say is that I find TPs a mixed bag. I've found some, such as the Chesky, Decca, EMI and Mercury test pressing to often be noisier than the released LP. I have found the EMI test pressings I've picked up to sound better than the final releases-eg. they just have more information.

I'm have some test pressing from Chad, Classic Records and a few others made at RTI and they are not noisier but really haven't evaluated for sound quality vis a vis the commerical release. N

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
This LP at the AK-Fest was a promo-test pressing LP, and it sounded awesome.

Although it could have been the horns and tubes too.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Are test pressings different than acetates (which I have heard and found them better than the LP)?

As I understand it acetates only get so many plays before sound degradation

Yes, acetates are used to make the metal parts that are used to stamp the test pressings. And since the acetate is made from a softer plastic material, it wears quickly. Also, most co's today plate as soon as the acetate is cut since the acetate's grooves can "relax." We can also talk about whether today's acetates are as good as those of yesteryear ever since the EPA put nitrocellulose on the "banned" list.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The ones I have heard were awesome

Yes had one years ago--Reiner's Scheherazade on RCA courtesy of Chesky. It was a reject because of groove narrowing towards the end of the record. But the opening violin solo never sounded sooooo sweeeet....

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for all your inputs. Lately, I have gotten hold of a 'promo' copy of Tango by Almeida and Byrd on Concord Records. I had a commercial pressing before. I compared them and found the promo copy to sound better in many respects, specially in clarity. Now I am not sure whether that is due to groove wear as my commercial copy looks more used than the promo copy which still looks mint and pristine.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles

just for my understanding, are acetates the same as test pressings

No. Acetates are used to make the metal parts that are used to stamp the test and regular pressings.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And a follow up question on the topic. What is your take on 1st pressings vs. 2nd or 3rd or even present day reissues? Do 1st pressings necessarily sound better? For example, the 1st pressing of Weavers Reunion at Carnegie Hall - the 1st pressing which is the gatefold cover with a gray Stereolab label vs. a 2nd yellow/red label; or 6 eyes Columbia vs 2 eyes Columbia..

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
And a follow up question on the topic. What is your take on 1st pressings vs. 2nd or 3rd or even present day reissues? Do 1st pressings necessarily sound better? For example, the 1st pressing of Weavers Reunion at Carnegie Hall - the 1st pressing which is the gatefold cover with a gray Stereolab label vs. a 2nd yellow/red label; or 6 eyes Columbia vs 2 eyes Columbia..

It's another example of theory and reality not necessarily being congruent :) With rare exception, I find the earlier the pressing the better for Decca, EMI, Mercury, RCA, Columbia, etc. I also find in most cases, Deccas superior to Londons despite people swearing they're from the same stamper. While the OJC are are a nice budget label, they don't come close to the originals. Well something is not right!

Now all things are not equal and probably the biggest determining factor is who had the LP before you. I've heard for instance a later SD pressing of Witches Brew sound better than an earlier pressing; it was clear from listening though that whomever had this record had not been kind to it.

I'm pretty sure the first US pressing of the Weavers (that I don't have) is a black label. I have the speckled orange label.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for the inputs, Myles. I agree too. I prefer the Decca Wide Band ED1s over the narrow bands. The FR1 Mercury's over the RFRs. But with the RCA 1s over the 3s and up, I'd say I don't feel the advantage is that big. I have both the black and the speckled orange pressings of Weavers. For me, the black sounds really smooth without edge or grit, has a slight darkish texture overall while the speckled orange sounds more lively and a bit clearer. Basically, they do not sound alike. I just don't know why.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks for the inputs, Myles. I agree too. I prefer the Decca Wide Band ED1s over the narrow bands. The FR1 Mercury's over the RFRs. But with the RCA 1s over the 3s and up, I'd say I don't feel the advantage is that big. I have both the black and the speckled orange pressings of Weavers. For me, the black sounds really smooth without edge or grit, has a slight darkish texture overall while the speckled orange sounds more lively and a bit clearer. Basically, they do not sound alike. I just don't know why.

Of course, one needs to know when the labels switched to RFR, ED2 or 3, etc. Then you can say in the case of the Mercuries, add in the Promo (white or other colors), Vendor pressing, etc just to complicate matters. I find the white Mercs just a little to tilted up in FR for my tastes.

I find the later Weavers just brighter, harsher and lacking in low end.

I do prefer the earlier RCAs-and there are cases where the later ones such as Reiners Pines of Rome were compressed.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I find the later Weavers just brighter, harsher and lacking in low end.

Same here. I had a 3rd pressing, the Mid-line all yellow label in the 90s, and that was it, there was a sense of harshness, and even hardness that is kinda fatiguing to my ears. I eventually sold it. I never got to hear an AP or the 45rpm re-issues.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Same here. I had a 3rd pressing, the Mid-line all yellow label in the 90s, and that was it, there was a sense of harshness, and even hardness that is kinda fatiguing to my ears. I eventually sold it. I never got to hear an AP or the 45rpm re-issues.

Have you guys had a chance to compare that album against the gold CD (which I have and isn't bad)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i have 10-15 test pressings from Classic and AP (Chad). i also have the commercial Lp in every case. i have only found a couple to be clearly better. i think, at least for these 2 sources, that the 'test pressings' are simply from the normal run but preceed the printing of the jackets. they do command a bit of a premium.

now when you get into DJ copies, and other older test pressings, then anything is possible. you need to do research or ask experts to know where the gems might be. there is no way to find the 'hot' stampers unless you buy from 'Better Records' (i'm kidding). in theory; DJ's got the best sounding records.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks, Mike. As I am from the Philippines and not really familiar with the industry practice there of promo copies and 'DJ ' copies, I'd like to ask what is the difference between the 2 as I would guess that DJ copies are part of the promo copies upon the initial production. And, my thinking tells me that LPs that are DJ copies would have been 'played to death' on radio stations specially in the pre CD era, as such, groove wear would set in and eventually, loss in sonic quality.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing