added a 3rd Studer A-820 Mk2 with both 1/4" and 1/2" heads, guides and hubs

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Ed Pong isn´t exactly using std A80RCs :D
I have 7 of ed pong s tapes and they arent exactly the best available .
But if your system is unable to reproduce it is another thing .
Quit a few even exhibit unwanted back ground recording noise .
I have discussed this with ed years ago , i did a test at eternal arts in germany on his best A 80 machine, with 1000 dollar headphones same thing.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
analogue productions ultra tape / hugh masekela.
Is one of the best commercially available tapes .
I have piano recordings done with my stock B62 as well .
Never heard piano better.
That includes also all other commercial master tape copies that i have.
And this includes shows dealers whatever

As far as i know hugh masekela is recorded on a atr 102 machine.
Which audio cards /amps i dont know

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I never claimed that they were either, but if you´re into the music, his concept is fascinating
The time i bought audiophile concepts (out of sympathy), audiophile pure signal path bla bla , is way way past behind me.

I am willing to pay .....for the best quality .
Good circuit design is what counts not the most expensive paper in oil cap or silver coil

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
The time i bought audiophile concepts (out of sympathy), audiophile pure signal path bla bla , is way way past behind me.

I am willing to pay .....for the best quality .
Good circuit design is what counts not the most expensive paper in oil cap or silver coil
You must be years ahead of me

• Haha
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
What is "good circuit design" in your opinion?
The circuit that sounds " just right'
Only the ear can tell you not the list of audiophile components being used .
Like i said my standard B 62 cards sound terrific.

Good circuit design .....CAT amplification

Last edited:

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
The cicuit that sounds " just right'
Only the ear can tell you not the list of audiophile components being used .
Like i said my standard B 62 cards sound terrific.

Good circuit design .....CAT amplification
As I mentioned, the standard circuits in Studers don't sound "just right" to me. And when I look at their schematics, certain things immediately pop up, things I would never use in my designs.

That is, I believe, big part in why the later generations, the A8XX, sound so much worse than the RC, for instance.

But this is all about personal preferences. If the unmodified Studer sounds good to you, who's to tell you you are wrong? Not me. These things are there for us to enjoy them.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
But this is all about personal preferences. If the unmodified Studer sounds good to you, who's to tell you you are wrong? Not me. These things are there for us to enjoy them
My machines were recapped because of aging but not with anything really exotic .
Other wise it wouldnt fit also on the studer cards

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Im not saying the studer cards cannot be made " better" per se
May be a outboard preamp based on the exact same studer circuitry but with a big housing to accomodate the big duelund caps for example will sound better , but may be also not .
For each to decide .
I m just saying that imo the cards provide excellent amplification ( to my ears)

Last edited:

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
My machines were recapped because of aging but not with anything really exotic .
Other wise it wouldnt fit also on the studer cards
Of course... there is limit to what you can do to existing boards... that is why the external boxes are becoming more and more popular.

However, I would not base that external box on old Studer circuitry... today we know how to make things better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing