andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Eye candy .
First nagra T audio then
Studer A820, C 37

Tape handling telefunken M15a.
Cant beat the spool direction speed adjustment all in one handle.
Plus it easily takes pancakes and large reels
I never owned a A 820 as thats probably slicker

A 80 RC MK 2 i sold because of the crappy plastic meterbridge.
And freakin heavy .
I like portables these days

I could buy a ATR next but it wouldnt be for looks.
May be a portable " new " one direct from the US

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
tape handling of my M15 is primitive compared to the A80RC
the M15A winding direction lever has nothing to do with tape handling
I also find the A80s lack of woodpanels and bling appealing ...a machine built for a purpose....

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Studer B 62 is also an awesome sounding machine.
I always had the impression it sounds more dynamic then the A80 .
May be its the cast iron

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Interesting, how people get different impressions from looking at the same things... I too don't consider the tape handling on M15A in the same class as Studer's, it is on the rough side. And yes, it does take platters (most such machines do, anyway), but not 14", like A820 or ATR-102 do. Its standard platter is 12", same as for A80, with 12.5" custom made possible - I made some, see the pic.

The rewind lever on M15A is not continuous, as on some machines, it has several speeds, 3, I believe, which is still great. By comparison, the MCI JH-110 and Mechlabor STM-310 have continuously variable speeds. The MCI also handles 14" reels.

As far as the wooden cases... I consider them in the same category as wooden panels on cars. :)

In the Eye Candy class my nomination today is Lyrec Frida.

Attachments

• Pancake 1r.jpg
    Pancake 1r.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The rewind lever on M15A is not continuous
No its continuous.
It takes the large pancakes my studer b 62 cant take.
Overal handling is just the best i have owned .
German simplicity.
The plates for underneath the pancakes are much larger so the tape is always supported.

Why did you make the custom platter?
I suppose the standard studer diam.was to small right, same as my problem.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
if one uses EDIT mode on A80 you get continuous as well
I had 2 Lyrec Frida and agree when it comes to looks and even in std it´s a fine sounding machine
sold due to uncertain/impossible spare part situation and few knowledgable to service it

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
I am pretty sure it is a 6 or 7 position rewind speed switch on the M15A, and you can feel it take steps in speed as you go from position to position. The schematic shows the switch S6. The transitions are soft, but they are there.

Problem with the EDIT mode on A80 is that it does not lock in, it is spring loaded. I have thought about removing that spring... :) On some other machines you can set it on slow and walk away. :)

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I am pretty sure it is a 6 or 7 position rewind speed switch on the M15A, and you can feel it take steps in speed as you go from position to position. The schematic shows the switch S6. The transitions are soft, but they are there.

Problem with the EDIT mode on A80 is that it does not lock in, it is spring loaded. I have thought about removing that spring... :) On some other machines you can set it on slow and walk away. :)
I can on my A80RCs
picture of lever SWITCH / selector on my M15 a few seconds ago ;)
reminds me of Seiden

update....a Dutch expert on Telefunken tapemachines confirms that this lever on M15 looks identical to the one on M15A

however the viper gives 5 speeds on each side if including when it touches 2 contact points at the same time....

Attachments

• 20211201_134744.jpg
    20211201_134744.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I dunno... to me their wooden cases are like a hearty fart in the middle of a Brahms violin concerto.
Here is my analogy:

Studer A80/A820 - Diana Krall
Ampex ATR-102 - Ella Fitzgerald

Larry

• Haha

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Leif did have a video compare of Telefunken M15a vs Studer A80.

Best to listen without watching which one is playing.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Leif did have a video compare of Telefunken M15a vs Studer A80.
Both machines produce good, but unremarkable sound in their stock form. It is clean, but noticeably lacking in air and detail. Either one will satisfy probably 90% users, and beat the A8XX machines easily. Either one can be sucessfully used as a drive for external head preamp.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I cannot understand why you put A820 and A80 in same boot.....A80 looks like a professionals tool and not a furniture imo
take the top skins off; both the Studer's have single castings that everything is bolted to, the A-820 casting is especially robust and likely the single most amazing build aspect of any piece of audio/hifi gear ever. the Ampex is screwed together. and the A-820 uses convection cooling, not fans like the Ampex. build quality is higher with the A-820.

the wood sides are just covers.

i suppose we can talk about horns and wood. no one is denigading vintage horns (or modern one's either) for using wood.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Both machines produce good, but unremarkable sound in their stock form. It is clean, but noticeably lacking in air and detail. Either one will satisfy probably 90% users. Either one can be sucessfully used as a drive for external head preamp.
my A80RCs both have new custom stabilizer cards and repro and record boards from Todor Dimitrov of Mastertapesoundlab in Thessaloniki
they´re also rewired with a special Kapton insulated silver wire with silversheat plaid shield......had enourmous impact on resolution without sounding harsh
the wire was also supplied by Todor

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
I am not familiar with that particular modification, but certainly some improvements can be made. Also, you have the RC machines, which are much superior in sound to any A8XX one to begin with.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I´m happy with them, but still curious about Charles project......
for me the M15, not A, in the M10 trolley with outboard audio cards is more of a clenode
my wife says I should keep it because the looks are like a wwII tank or something :)
quite tolerant when you think of how much livingroom space my system already occupies

Last edited:

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Knowing Charles, I am sure those cards would be a welcome improvement, and I would definitely consider them if I were using the A80 through its outputs. There are no questions regarding the Telefunken looks, they project the sense of power more than precision, but it is nice to have the verity. :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Both machines produce good, but unremarkable sound in their stock form. It is clean, but noticeably lacking in air and detail. Either one will satisfy probably 90% users, and beat the A8XX machines easily. Either one can be sucessfully used as a drive for external head preamp.
I dont know if you notice but the fact we are still talking about these machines stems from world famous recordings that were done with them .
Sixties / seventies recordings are still considered as the best by many .
The recording engineer bought my studer just to add the studer flavour to his digital recordings .
They re even selling digital plug ins.
Because people love the old studer sound.
Mechanics AND ....the audiocards

Last edited:

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Mass produced recordings were mainly done on mass produced machines, and probably 98% of them are at best mediocre, many outright horrible.

OTOH, if you look at what is used by the best boutique recording studios today, it is normally not the stock equipment. And they tend to produce the best recorded sound available on tape.

Things like ML-5 and Tim De Paravicini modified machines have been used and in demand for good reason.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing