Table Clock for $2G anyone?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
no thanks MAC..

I really like my MAC electronics but have never drunk the MAC kool aid. Watch the "blue meter group" stand in line for one of these. Pathetic.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I think this one is far nicer:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Amiir-tube engineers from yesteryear could make tubes do damn near anything. just look through an RCA tube manual sometime to pick up a flavor for what has been created. Tubes are truly engineering marvels.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Indeed. I would always marvel at what goes in them and intricate manufacturing. That was one of their appeals: you could look inside them!!!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Amir!

Didin't notice you had started a thread about this 2 days earlier. Please go ahead and merge.....

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
I've been checking around for a Nixie Tube clock myself. The top one here is available as a kit for $85.00. I'm ordering one so that I can build something similar to the one shown in the bottom shot. I think they both look pretty awesome!

Attachments

• icetubeclock_LRG.jpg
    icetubeclock_LRG.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 135
  • badness_russian_tube_clock.jpg
    badness_russian_tube_clock.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 99

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I've been checking around for a Nixie Tube clock myself. The top one here is available as a kit for $85.00. I'm ordering one so that I can build something similar to the one shown in the bottom shot. I think they both look pretty awesome!

That 2nd one is awesome. Is that someones DIY or is it available?

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
Here's a link to the second one with the sweet industrial design. There are a couple of other cool photo's there as well as a video. Very cool stuff.

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/12/sweet_vacuum_tube_clock_build.html

It's actually a Russian Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) rather than a Nixie tube used in both of the one's I'd cited earlier. That really great looking second one in unfortunateky not available as either a finished good or a kit, it's completely custom DIY. It would look great next to my BAT pre-amp though!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing