Just read the Fremer review of the Ypsilon Hyperion...interesting

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The comment section was very interesting indeed

I was wondering whether JA listened to the amplifier?

Often when Stereophile has such criticisms they subject it to further review, especially from such a well respected maker, like with the M28

I must admit if there is no negative feedback in the SS amplifier, your going to get some interesting results so it’s hardly surprising , I think it would be interesting if we new JA views on the listening, he describes it as tailored, but is removing something tailoring it ie NF, or is adding NF tailoring it to make it “neutral”.

I just find it strange that it is clear the amp is no feedback (look at the THD vs. power curves) that he would be more critical than he is with most SETs (particularly with Lamm SETs, which don't measure any better but get a "clean bill of health" from JA).

IMO, anything that has some color and life in the sound to them is "tailored". What a drab, grey sonic world they live in...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The component list in my system thread reads when it comes to power chords:

Power chords:
stock or thicker version of regular power chord (Tripp Lite 14 AWG chord, $ 16)

;)

You are missing some potential in your system then...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
This thread seems to be diverging from amplifier measurements to power cords and dacs, not sure how we got onto that.

Personally I think MF comments about PCs was perfectly reasonable, and consistent with my own observations, having said that, some manufacturers insist their equipment is voiced for their PCs, MF pointed out, though theyYpsilon Hyperion used a 20A IEC they didn’t provide a pc with it and he used his own

As he owned musical fidelity tri vista which used those 20A IEC, like AR, I assume he had these lying around as I still do and used them.

Well, I have heard this amp and I have to say I thought it was pretty good and the measurements, despite what JA says, are pretty consistent with a push/pull hybrid that has no feedback. I am not surprised that Fremer found it more "right" sounding than his Darts...havin heard both amps I would concur with his assessment. Now, whether the Hyperion sounds better than Lamm ML3s...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well, I have heard this amp and I have to say I thought it was pretty good and the measurements, despite what JA says, are pretty consistent with a push/pull hybrid that has no feedback. I am not surprised that Fremer found it more "right" sounding than his Darts...havin heard both amps I would concur with his assessment. Now, whether the Hyperion sounds better than Lamm ML3s...

By having heard both at a hifi show in separate systems you concur with this assessment?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I just find it strange that it is clear the amp is no feedback (look at the THD vs. power curves) that he would be more critical than he is with most SETs (particularly with Lamm SETs, which don't measure any better but get a "clean bill of health" from JA).

IMO, anything that has some color and life in the sound to them is "tailored". What a drab, grey sonic world they live in...

I cannot see how adding NF is any less talilored than no NF

There are a few amplifiers I have had where u can very the NF, I always preferred the least, the ch precision u can very, not heard it but be interested in people who have owned it like Gian?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You are missing some potential in your system then...

Yeah, that's what they say. Frankly, so far I haven't heard any obvious improvements with expensive power chords, and worse, actually deterioration of sound with some, compared to a stock power chord. Call me an unbeliever in fancy power chords if you will.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Why a thicker version of the regular power cord? Did you notice any improvement?

I just didn't want to have any "current restrictions" ;)

I have not checked if it made an improvement, no need to do so for an expense of just $ 16.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

why would we be comparing a 400 watt SS amp to a 20 watt SET? and why are you only focused on one graph?

quite frankly, the Lamms measure much better.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I cannot see how adding NF is any less talilored than no NF

There are a few amplifiers I have had where u can very the NF, I always preferred the least, the ch precision u can very, not heard it but be interested in people who have owned it like Gian?

I had only one amp with variable feedback, the VAC 30/30, and it was far better on zero than any other setting.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yeah, that's what they say. Frankly, so far I haven't heard any obvious improvements with expensive power chords, and worse, actually deterioration of sound with some, compared to a stock power chord. Call me an unbeliever in fancy power chords if you will.

Which did you try?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
why would we be comparing a 400 watt SS amp to a 20 watt SET? and why are you only focused on one graph?

Because of how it is designed. I am not focused on any one graph...nothing I have said gives that impression either. The Lamm hybrids do measure better in some ways...they also have some negative feedback. The ML2 does not really measure better, nor does the ML3.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Because SETs have to win

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I just didn't want to have any "current restrictions" ;)

I have not checked if it made an improvement, no need to do so for an expense of just $ 16.

Can you define "current restrictions" (without smiles, please :) ) ?

Well, how are you sure that the new cable did not degrade the performance? Blind faith in thickness?

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Because SETs have to win

ahh yes...the world according to SETs....a wondrous world as depicted through rose coloured lenses. :cool:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Well, how are you sure that the new cable did not degrade the performance? Blind faith in thickness?

Yes, blind faith in thickness. ;)

Cheaper than blind faith in expensive power chords. Of course, if some of them actually do sound better, then it's all good and things transition from blind faith to evidence. However, I have found that in this case, as in others, sounding different does not necessarily mean sounding better.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, blind faith in thickness. ;)

Cheaper than blind faith in expensive power chords. Of course, if some of them actually do sound better, then it's all good and things transition from blind faith to evidence. However, I have found that in this case, as in others, sounding different does not necessarily mean sounding better.

Unfortunately for our wallets good power cables (or grounding devices, BTW) can bring real significant improvements in sound quality. We have surely to match them to our systems - there is no miraculous "best choice". I had to try several complete looms until I settled in my current choice. And still keep several complete sets with very different characteristics on hand, surely not too expensive, :) to be sure that I always give a fair opportunity to equipment I want to listen.

In this hobby it is very easy to exclude or be negative about something - most of the time we do not have instantaneous reward.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Unfortunately for our wallets good power cables (or grounding devices, BTW) can bring real significant improvements in sound quality. We have surely to match them to our systems - there is no miraculous "best choice". I had to try several complete looms until I settled in my current choice. And still keep several complete sets with very different characteristics on hand, surely not too expensive, :) to be sure that I always give a fair opportunity to equipment I want to listen.

In this hobby it is very easy to exclude or be negative about something - most of the time we do not have instantaneous reward.

Possibly there is merit in some expensive power chords. I have not yet had been fortunate enough to hear good evidence for that.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Because of how it is designed. I am not focused on any one graph...nothing I have said gives that impression either. The Lamm hybrids do measure better in some ways...they also have some negative feedback. The ML2 does not really measure better, nor does the ML3.

you mean the Ypsilon's impedance deviation, poor sine wave, and high distortion in the bass don't matter? as an SS amp with no OPT?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
ahh yes...the world according to SETs....a wondrous world as depicted through rose coloured lenses. :cool:

You must see the world in grayscale then

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing