Winding down

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I thought a lot about starting this thread, it’s not exactly in the spirit of WBF where upgrading and ongoing spending is the order of the day, and I’m going to risk losing my audiophile stripes.
But I thought I might combine comments about the beginning of the end of my career as a free-spending hifi nut with the whole psychology of deciding to call it a day on the obsessive need for the next best thing, and assumed impulse to keep spending.
So, I kinda realised deep down 2 years ago that when I swapped out my London apartment which pretty much looked after itself, for an old historic chapel that needs constant feeding (this monster taking up funds on all the things I couldn’t manage re major refurb ahead of moving in), coupled to now having a new Finance Director to have to approve funding decisions (yes, you guessed it, my GF Righteous Ra), that my audiophile spending habits would change forever.
I took the punt on ploughing in $90k to creating the new space and power to it, and got unbelievably lucky in how good it’s turned out. I can genuinely say given the choice of this room and my modest gear versus eg Mike Lavigne’s gear in my old space, I wouldn’t swap my current setup.
This good fortune with less and less ability to spend on audio, and the absolute need to invest in the building, is now a happy balance in my mind.
With the wholly positive outcome to my analog reinstall, and the most amazing epiphany of simple optimisation of my Zus proving to be startlingly effective, revolutionary even, the last 72 hours have been by a massive gap the greatest sound I’ve ever had at home, and for the first time I’m bullish it can compare w some of the best systems I’ve heard.
And so the decision has come to pass to start winding down. No more obsessing on a SOTA idler tt, or horns. No more TOTL accessories from my favourite designers. All I want to do is complete some of the lines I’ve nearly finished with - a couple more Sablon Elite pwr cords, a few more Symposium Rollerblocks, beta test ultrasonic lp cleaner I’m currently trialling.
Beyond that, my only remaining discussion is an affordable streamer/server option, and some judicious diffuser panels to my space.
But these are sporadic purchases that are not going to take up all my savings or get in the way of more essential non-audio spending.
How do I feel about this? In one way, a little sad. Audio spending/major upgrading has been a constant feature in my life for the last two decades, it still feels weird not to be planning the next tt or spkrs package.
OTOH, it’s totally liberating to have a room that works, has vindicated my choices of gear, and I’m finally “in the moment”.
Indeed, my thoughts are more and more going to turn to just thinking about music, and how to broaden my classical lp collection now that my sound is so conducive to natural sounding acoustic material.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Mods, can you please make this a sticky, might have to refer back periodically

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep, up there with “when I buy a tt...” etc etc.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
?? You dont believe its gonna happen

It actually IMO takes more guts to make this decision, and then sit back and enjoy the system. I posted on head-fi only a few week backs, about the FOMS thing. A 'fear of missing something'. So I ask myself, what is it I am missing? And can that thing I am missing, stop me enjoying the music? In my mind it is the stage in some distant past (for me) where I moved from listening to music and moved to obsessing with new gear. And part of that journey, or journey to hell, is finding the next component that will magically be the thing I crave to get that elusive sound.

I have recently managed to take my foot off the gas, after the Aries Carat Kassandra DAC landed. Yeah, I know, that is NOT stopping buying something. But my system now gels so well, I feel I am enjoying the music, all of my music, not just very well recorded material. So I think (hope) I am fixed, got everything I need, nothing is missing.... we shall see. Munich Hi-End looms.

So I totally see what the OP is saying. And I hope, believe, I am too not having a FOMS thing as I used to, not obsessing over the sound. It gets very silly, stressful even. But huge caveat, for me to accept this new 'normal' I first had to solve my DAC situation first!

My other thought on this HUGE topic is, most of us are buying gear from various manufacturers, and that brings a bit of a nightmare matching / system synergy into the equation. I am a firm believer of system synergy, and in theory if a manufacturer does his job really well, you could just buy into the brand, job done. But there are few who have enough top products across the board. I would say Aries Cerat are damb close, just missing a TT.

IMO I don't have either enough money or time to resolve it. It would take decades to get through anything like a decent range of combinations. I see many on head-fi try it with HPs and various amps, partly as they are cheaper to fund and try out, then sell later. Some of my HF buddies have 20 HPs!! Imagine having 20 full range speakers in your house.

Unless I became a dealer to do that experiment as a career choice. But then many companies don't carry enough brands.

Right now, if I had more cash, I would buy all AC gear, leave the guessing out of the equation. Job done.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
What you got is not curable... :)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It actually IMO takes more guts to make this decision, and then sit back and enjoy the system. I posted on head-fi only a few week backs, about the FOMS thing. A 'fear of missing something'. So I ask myself, what is it I am missing? And can that thing I am missing, stop me enjoying the music? In my mind it is the stage in some distant past (for me) where I moved from listening to music and moved to obsessing with new gear. And part of that journey, or journey to hell, is finding the next component that will magically be the thing I crave to get that elusive sound.

I have recently managed to take my foot off the gas, after the Aries Carat Kassandra DAC landed. Yeah, I know, that is NOT stopping buying something. But my system now gels so well, I feel I am enjoying the music, all of my music, not just very well recorded material. So I think (hope) I am fixed, got everything I need, nothing is missing.... we shall see. Munich Hi-End looms.

So I totally see what the OP is saying. And I hope, believe, I am too not having a FOMS thing as I used to, not obsessing over the sound. It gets very silly, stressful even. But huge caveat, for me to accept this new 'normal' I first had to solve my DAC situation first!

My other thought on this HUGE topic is, most of us are buying gear from various manufacturers, and that brings a bit of a nightmare matching / system synergy into the equation. I am a firm believer of system synergy, and in theory if a manufacturer does his job really well, you could just buy into the brand, job done. But there are few who have enough top products across the board. I would say Aries Cerat are damb close, just missing a TT.

IMO I don't have either enough money or time to resolve it. It would take decades to get through anything like a decent range of combinations. I see many on head-fi try it with HPs and various amps, partly as they are cheaper to fund and try out, then sell later. Some of my HF buddies have 20 HPs!! Imagine having 20 full range speakers in your house.

Unless I became a dealer to do that experiment as a career choice. But then many companies don't carry enough brands.

Right now, if I had more cash, I would buy all AC gear, leave the guessing out of the equation. Job done.

Well, for me it's simple, I ran out of money after my latest big system upgrades. Fortunately, those upgrades were tremendously successful for what I want.

I am getting back to just enjoying music, rather than listen to the same stuff over and over again for system evaluation, as I had done for a while. It's not that easy! But yesterday I caught myself thinking about how many new CDs, and new old CDs, I want to listen to the next few days -- a good thing. And I did listen to lots of new stuff last night, as I had done lately.

Part of the trick is to realize that, while your system will never do everything that you hear in other people's systems (even if you had unlimited money, you'd need multiple systems in different rooms for that), you have to appreciate what your system does well. And I really can't complain on that front -- my system excels in so many things that the few where it doesn't don't bother me that much. I can live with the shortcomings -- heck, given that I didn't have unlimited money to spend, I designed these into my system in the first place!

As for system synergy, you can get it from different brands, no problem. You just need to know what you are looking for as your personal highest priorities in music reproduction, and maximize those with each new upgrade. I guess many people just want it all, which is a futile undertaking. Just go to a concert of live unamplified music for a reality check a number of times per year. It keeps you grounded.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
A good friend jumped off the audiophile upgrade path and is very happy. He sold his complicated system and bought a McIntosh/Zu/Transrotor combo for his living room. He is singularly focused on collecting vinyl records now, deleted his Audiogon account.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Julian, my journey is mainly coming to an end because of the confluence of receding funds and my room being the upgrade to end all upgrades.
In London I would be obsessing as much as ever, plotting upgrade after upgrade. I do feel somewhat free of that.
Re FOMS, Kassandra by definition is not missing something. It’s pretty much close to having everything .

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jeffrey, another guy where Zu is part of their destination of choice .

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Al, running out of money. Curse or boon, I guess it depends. With the rampant geometrical inflation in high end pricing, it’s hard not to run out of cash.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Re FOMS, Kassandra by definition is not missing something. It’s pretty much close to having everything .

Nope.

I never had any FOMS when it came to SACD and other 'hi-rez'. Glad that I didn't spend time, energy and money on those things -- one of the best decisions in my audiophile life (others will feel differently, but then, all our decisions are personal). I knew from the beginning that they would never become mainstream, which would make them non-applicable for most of the music I listen to. And lo and behold, plain ole CD has proven to be so much better than we knew when all those 'hi-res' formats were introduced. In fact, CD is high resolution.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Rodney, you may be skeptical of my sentiments, but at least we have one thing in common, the Godsend of the (near) ideal room.
For me, at a stroke it took all compulsion to keep looking at new components out of the equation. And opened up the new equation of system optimisation as the way fwd, not constant system upheaval.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al, running out of money. Curse or boon, I guess it depends. With the rampant geometrical inflation in high end pricing, it’s hard not to run out of cash.

Fortunately I managed to buy components that were not price-inflated. My new monitors must be one of the best values in high-resolution monitors out there, and my new amp is quite cheap for what it does. DaveC's ZenWave Audio cables must be among the best values out there too. So is my DAC -- in fact, ridiculously so. I don't consider the JL Audio subs over-priced either.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Jeffrey, another guy where Zu is part of their destination of choice .

You know what...I love going to his house. We pop a bottle of wine and just really enjoy the records and the music. It's like what people say about the Denon 103R, it gets 95% of the music right and only makes sins of omission.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Al, thru necessity, but also because I’ve really wanted to, I’ve always favoured the smaller boutique Left Field designer/marque. Often a byword for maxx SQ/price ratio.
And so it came to pass that I settled on VFM pieces btwn 2012-2015 that are still w me.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Winding down, or looking after one's finances - however, you want to look at it - is (to me) a sane thing in this hobby. I admire those who spend judiciously, or those who call it quits. I hate spending on this hobby myself, and that's why I modify everything I can. It is a ridiculously and unnecessarily expensive hobby that can break the bank very quickly. I keep a spreadsheet with of my expenses just to make sure I don't lose sight. Having our priorities straight is paramount. Sonically, I am sure you have done well, so enjoy audio retirement!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ack, my tt/arm/cart/“phono” has just gone thru a dozen mods, big and small.
Tube amps have some mods too, and the Zus major Lundahls and Duelunds updates.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I dont buy into the system thing really
A very good amp manufacturer is not necessarily a good speaker designer.
A dentist aint a hartsurgeon either.
If the journey has come to an end i see it as a good thing , upgrading is not really a topic for me anymore , apart from a noisefree play as loud as you want acoustically treated room

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
See if you wanna be up to date with what the magazines are prescribing your not building a system for yourself .
magazines need to sell magazines sell adds and what not.
New isnt always better luckily, is it better or Just Different?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing