Winding down

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
for ten days now I’ve been listening and listening, not once over analysing or criticising my sound - that in itself is proof enough..

Doing the "over analyzing" and "criticizing" is what took away from what should have been an enjoyable hobby. I was listening to "the system" instead of listening to "the music".

I did not say so in my last post but what actually started me to evaluate my place in this hobby was when my wife hired a 3 piece jazz group for my birthday about 7 years ago to play in our home (sweet woman that she is). Until then, I was pretty convinced that some of the finest audio systems I had heard (not mine, but others) could justly reproduce that sound. But it was obvious in the first few moments they began to play that, by comparison, home audio is not even close to live. Not even close. Why not is for a different thread.

One of my audio buddies was at the gathering in our home (he has one of those systems that I thought did reproduce live), looked a me and smiled and it was just so obvious that what we were both trying to accomplish with our audio systems is simply not even close to possible - at least with current technology. So why continue the chase to "perfection"? So I decided right then to begin to chase "enjoyable". And by that I mean, during a listening session, not thinking about the room or equipment or those audiophile "things" that we all chase. But rather, "did I COMPLETELY enjoy the experience?" And that journey is what has finally ended with my current system/room. (A journey no less expensive and occasionally just as frustrating as my previous journey).

A reason that "enjoyable" works for me is there is no universally accepted "standard". So I can achieve it when I decide I have achieved it. Not true if one is trying, with their audio system, to either have the performers in your room ... or you in theirs. Live music is the standard and while we may each hear live differently, we each know live when we hear it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Audioguy, again I couldn’t agree more.

I’ve been to a fair amount of live unamplified in the last 15 months.

I remain convinced audiophiles are chasing unicorns if they think they can get the scaling dynamics of concerts at home.

Similarly I’m skeptical of the whole forensic detail/imaging thing.

But trying to achieve a semblance of tone density, air, and timbral accuracy, well these are my aims.
And I do feel I’ve gone a long way to succeeding.

No disrespect to those who wholly disagree with me.

My system/room integration is now such that I am getting a lot more of the things I was totally missing before, especially timbre and air.

And I’m sufficiently receptive enough to know what a quantum leap this is for me.

My remaining avenues comprise some demos of tweaks: spkrs platforms, supertweeters, diffuser panels.

And a final dive into the world of streaming. Or not. Will see how I feel in 2019.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing