Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Reactions: APP

Kefas

May 21, 2014
Her newer recordings are even better;
And as APP has pointed out her CD's are available at her BANDCAMP Site;CARMEN GOMES BANDCAMP
From her pre SOUND LIAISON albums I can recommend this one;

The Sound Liaison albums with Carmen Gomes are available as redbook Compact Disk at her bandcamp site; CARMEN GOMES BANDCAMP

Reactions: APP

APP

Oct 1, 2014
and this Friday ; "Bandcamp will be waiving their revenue share on Friday June 5 as a way of showing support for the music creators. This is a great day to load up on downloads of your fave songs and albums by your fave artists. "

Kefas

May 21, 2014
but anyhow, revenues or no revenues bandcamp is a worthy site to support. Much more so than the streaming sites.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Her newer recordings are even better;
Here is a glowing review of the One Mic recording "Don't You Cry" from Carmen Gomes Inc.

the album is available from these distributeurs;
https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/music (Redbook CD, Mp3, wav 44.1)
https://www.soundliaison.com/ (Flac, DXD, DSD)
https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/SL1030A-dont-you-cry ( DSD)

Carmen Gomes: Don't You Cry (Sound Liaison)
Many musicians can play jazz and blues, but few can sing the blues with total conviction and emotional authenticity.
Dutch singer-songwriter Carmen Gomes is one of those few.
A father from the Mediterranean region endowed Carmen Gomes not only with a Spanish-sounding name, but by her own description, with a Mediterranean temperament. At the margins of the culture, the world's differences meet; for Carmen Gomes, the language that gave her freedom of expression was not her native Dutch, but English; and the mode that encouraged her creativity was American jazz and blues. With a dozen previous albums in her catalogue, this accomplished singer, songwriter, teacher and vocal coach distills more than two decades of live performance and recording experience into "Don't You Cry", an hour of compelling jazz vocal music.
The selection and sequencing of the songs tells the story of a woman’s growing recognition that she must throw off the chains of love—false illusions, fears and insecurities—before she can find a more honest way of loving. From the opening "Unchain My Heart", a 1963 hit for Ray Charles, through two songs associated with the great Nina Simone, "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" and Simone's own assertion of female sensuality "Do I Move You", with stops along the way in the Deep South of the songwriter's imagination (Ira and George Gershwin's "Summertime") and the historical reality ("How Long", credited to Leroy Carr, originally written by blueswoman Ida Cox), the listener finally arrives at Gomes' original "As I Do." It's a one-hour trip from the depths of love's oppression to the renewed hope for a relationship between equal partners, cast in the languorous mode of sultry jazz singing and subtle instrumental accompaniment.

Gomes’ stylistic technique extends past the conventions of behind-the-beat phrasing. Listen to how she teases out the syllables, as if the lyrics themselves were musical notes, not just words on a page. On "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood", she prolongs the vowel sounds through several shades of inflection. With her flawless pitch, the effect is entrancing. You might hear echoes of Billie Holliday, but her vocal sound has developed well beyond imitation to distinctive individuality.

The ensemble Carmen Gomes, Inc. is more than a singer and a backing group. Bassist Peter Bjørnild, whose session notes are posted on the Sound Liaison website, produced the record and arranged the songs in collaboration with Gomes, guitarist Folker Tettero and drummer Bert Kamsteeg. Tettero plays an archtop semi-hollow body guitar that has a warm timbre; his stylistic ears are well-tuned to blues idiom, especially the minor-key blues of the mid-1960s. Kamsteeg uses brushes throughout, and keeps superb time without ever overpowering the singer or other players. In bassist Peter Bjørnild, Gomes has found the deep instrumental 'voice' that complements her vocals, the glove that perfectly fits the hand. Their musical partnership is longstanding, and the trust that only years can bring is clearly in evidence.

The decision to record with a single-point stereo microphone came about after the group had already finished a recording session done with conventional multi-mic technique. The late delivery of a Josephson C700S stereo microphone prompted a test recording of a single tune; an afterwards, engineer and label co-owner Frans Rond was so convinced that the sound qualities of that track should be heard on a full recording, he reconvened two more sessions that consisted of the group's working repertoire, done almost entirely in single takes. Those sessions were recorded at MCO Studio 2, Hilversum, The Netherlands, on 26 October and 15 December 2018, in DXD 352.8 kHz. As Bjørnild explains:

"With only one mic… mixing was no longer possible. We would have to make the complete sound stage right there by carefully moving each instrument closer or further away, as well as left and right, in relationship to the microphone."

With an engineer of the capabilities of Frans Rond, mixing is no longer needed. The careful placement of the musicians and the control of group balance makes "Don't You Cry" one of the best-sounding "live in the room" audiophile recordings I've heard.

Not surprisingly, site listeners awarded "Don't You Cry" NativeDSD Vocal Album of the Year for 2019. I eagerly await the next release from Carmen Gomes Inc.

Mark Werlin, HRAudio.

remdeck

Apr 10, 2018
Lovely thread!
As I love female vocals, I'll give some of my favorites here. Starting with Lisa Morgenstern .
I love the voice of this very young woman and she plays most of the instruments herself. (lovely looks also)
As I discovered her in 2019 on Tidal, I bought both of her cd's, Amphibian and Chameleon.

Live performance on Youtube.

Last edited:

remdeck

Apr 10, 2018
London Grammar with Hannah Reid as singer gets me time and time again... Like Lisa Morgenstern she has a warm dark voice.
"Rooting for You" ,
the first song of the second album is really going und my skin...
London Grammar has 2 albums up till now : "If you wait" and "Truth is a beautiful Thing" which I both own as CD and as vinyl.
The problem with vinyl is that it is pressed on maximum amplitude, which is causes a problem when Hannah sings on the top of her voice... It distorts.
The only pressing I found, where it is OK is on the french pressing.

Hopefully they will release a new album soon!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing