Etna SL vs Atlas SL vs Opus 1

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ian, did you feel that my AirTight Supreme had those qualities when you heard it in your system? Or the MSL Sig. Gold? The Opus 1 is supposed to have even more resolution, extension and speed, apparently. I have not heard it.

Peter, both of your carts were very good - I liked them both even though they were very different. Hopefully the Opus 1 is the best of both worlds.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well, lucky me, I'm going to get to try out an Etna SL tomorrow - thanks to a good friend who is lending me one!

How will that tell you how it compares to atlas and Opus - I guess you can compare it to Peter's supreme

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Opus1 would go very well with my new Q3s. Alas, I have to save some money.

There are cheaper carts which might go better, if money is a consideration. Multiple carts at this level are not for sonics, they are for those who don't need to save and want to play. Of course, to buy a cheaper cart when one has upgraded his speakers does not make optical sense

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
There are cheaper carts which might go better, if money is a consideration. Multiple carts at this level are not for sonics, they are for those who don't need to save and want to play. Of course, to buy a cheaper cart when one has upgraded his speakers does not make optical sense

I think buying used cart from someone you can trust is a way to go. For example, the vdH that MikeL put on sale. Reasonable price and no need to do a long burn in. But you have to make sure Mike is not so clumsy :p.

Tang

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
No loading necessary when you have a CH P1.

That approach did not work when Fremer ripped into the Kuzma carts as boring and bland.

Have fun, that is the main thing. I find that Lyra carts like tracking at exactly what Lyra recommends.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My friend has CH L1,P1,a1 mono and Wilson Alexandria 2 and Atlas
Wilson has always too full midbass
And Atlas is very good in his system
He found better in P1 in mm/mc input
With 600 ohms
I use Atlas sl in current with 60 dB gain
If in your system midbass is full Atlas can be very good
If is neutral could be Opus is little better,little more natural

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

I've never cared about "optical sense" unless it is about the aesthetics in a formal living room with things like speakers, room treatment, or cables all over the place. If you are referring to prices and perceptions, sound has always been more important to me that what something costs or what others think. I have not bought a brand new cartridge in fifteen years, only gently used from good friends at heavy discounts. No issues there.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
How will that tell you how it compares to atlas and Opus - I guess you can compare it to Peter's supreme

It won't of course. But it will answer the question of "would I have liked the Etna SL?" which is something I've been wondering but didn't have enough confidence. Even if I love it, I will be able to get a feel for what the Atlas sounds like since I've read a lot of comparisons. And, I can try and compare to Peter's two cartridges (even though I'd have to go by a memory that is already fading). I can also compare to my Zyx and Ortofon A95 (both of which I know very well).

It also provides me with another data point and helps slow down my decision making (I've been wanting a new cartridge so badly that I'm not even listening to analog at the moment).

I've been told that a cartridge I should consider is the Transfiguration Proteus D ($10.5k). Too many choices!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I think buying used cart from someone you can trust is a way to go. For example, the vdH that MikeL put on sale. Reasonable price and no need to do a long burn in. But you have to make sure Mike is not so clumsy :p.

Tang

I once bought a Dynavector XV-1s from MikeL. It was in fine shape!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I've never cared about "optical sense" unless it is about the aesthetics in a formal living room with things like speakers, room treatment, or cables all over the place. If you are referring to prices and perceptions, sound has always been more important to me that what something costs or what others think. I have not bought a brand new cartridge in fifteen years, only gently used from good friends at heavy discounts. No issues there.

I think Ked meant to say 'optimum' sense.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
My friend has CH L1,P1,a1 mono and Wilson Alexandria 2 and Atlas
Wilson has always too full midbass
And Atlas is very good in his system
He found better in P1 in mm/mc input
With 600 ohms
I use Atlas sl in current with 60 dB gain
If in your system midbass is full Atlas can be very good
If is neutral could be Opus is little better,little more natural

Thanks, this is very helpful. I have a full midrange but NOT a full midbass.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Tang

It depends a lot on exchange policy of the manufacturer. Van den Hul cartridges are always an excellent acquisition - you can get them inspected, serviced or refurbished for a small fraction of new cost in a fast time. Some manufacturers will ask almost full price for a replacement or take an extremely long time to service cartridges.

Although the stylus can be inspected to check how long the stylus has been used and the expected usable time, it is not an easy job.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ian, you can probably guess what I am about to say, but if you are going to spend that kinda money, maybe you owe it to yourself to listen to the Atlas SL at Myles's place...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ian, you can probably guess what I am about to say, but if you are going to spend that kinda money, maybe you owe it to yourself to listen to the Atlas SL at Myles's place...

Not sure I can guess, Tasos - or did you just say it? I didn't know Myles had the Atlas SL. Good to know.

I have the Etna SL on my table now. Brand spanking new so it needs break-in and I'm sure I don't have the arm height nailed yet. I'm on my 4th side now. This is nothing like my Zyx; I don't hear any midrange bloom (at least not yet). Much more like my A95 except much, much better.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Not sure I can guess, Tasos - or did you just say it? I didn't know Myles had the Atlas SL. Good to know.

I have the Etna SL on my table now. Brand spanking new so it needs break-in and I'm sure I don't have the arm height nailed yet. I'm on my 4th side now. This is nothing like my Zyx; I don't hear any midrange bloom (at least not yet). Much more like my A95 except much, much better.

Sorry, I thought you had read his review, and you know how much I glow about his system... Anyway, if folks are saying the Atlas is superior to the Etna, so much more the reason to audition it. I also kinda guessed you'd think the Etna would be better than the A95. Let us know how the audition progresses...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Etna is better than the a95. The atlas is better than the Etna. The Opus is better than the atlas. The Miyajima zero mono on original mono classical will be better than the Opus on stereo LPs in many cases.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The Etna is better than the a95. The atlas is better than the Etna. The Opus is better than the atlas. The Miyajima zero mono on original mono classical will be better than the Opus on stereo LPs in many cases.

Not sure any of those generalizations are necessarily correct. It all depends and we are talking different flavors...what makes a cart better than another ? Pretty subjective if you ask me...when we are talking near top tier carts.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I agree with Christian.

Besides, Ked, you haven't heard the Etna SL (if I'm not mistaken). Supposedly a big difference between the non SL version.

It might be fair to say the A95 is eclipsed by the others as it's a much lower priced cartridge, but even there they might be those who prefer it over the others (not me, I'm sure :)).

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have also A95,good,but Atlas and Opus are in another league,also cost more than double

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing