Etna SL vs Atlas SL vs Opus 1

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you for your thoughts. Does the Opus 1 have good transients and upper frequency extension?

Gian can put his thoughts, but I would say that Lyra has more of those but Opus does not have less. It is not rolled off, for example, if that's what you are worried about.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Gian can put his thoughts, but I would say that Lyra has more of those but Opus does not have less. It is not rolled off, for example, if that's what you are worried about.

Thanks, Ked. While I am slightly worried about it being rolled off, what I'm really worried about is too much emphasis in the midrange that give the impression of it being rolled off. For example, many classical recordings don't have that much upper frequency info (or come across as 'midrange-y') and a cart that has a lot of midrange bloom (like my Zyx) makes the recording sound rolled off (or dull).

I want a cart capable of conveying beauty, but not at the cost of emphasizing the midrange. I want clarity, resolution, speed, extension, deep soundstage, instrument separation. All the good stuff. :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I want a cart capable of conveying beauty, but not at the cost of emphasizing the midrange. I want clarity, resolution, speed, extension, deep soundstage, instrument separation. All the good stuff. :)

You will get "all the good stuff" you mentioned above plus more dimensionality than many top carts from Opus1 sir.

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks, Ked. While I am slightly worried about it being rolled off, what I'm really worried about is too much emphasis in the midrange that give the impression of it being rolled off. For example, many classical recordings don't have that much upper frequency info (or come across as 'midrange-y') and a cart that has a lot of midrange bloom (like my Zyx) makes the recording sound rolled off (or dull).

I think Lyra does most of things but think for speed it truncates decay which is why, whenever I have heard it, and this is in many systems with valves and SS, CH, Ypsilon, pass, naim phonos, I have appreciated how music is presented but never become involved. Dynamics, speed, detail, resolution, extension, has always been great.

Opus was clearly better in Gian's system, immediately, on all the classical records I played. More natural, better stage. On an attribute to attribute basis it would lose out on speed, extension, and dynamics to the Lyra, but would still be better... That's the problem with trying to write why vs listening.

It did not have a midrange bloom. But then I think zyx while it has a nice midrange does not have a bloom at the cost of other stuff. Koetsu and madake do. And zyx universe premium at Steve's is far from dull. So there is some system mismatch

Will Opus be a cart that Is complete? I don't know. It might still not be sufficient, but then will all others. It will be more complete than Lyra based on listening in Gian's system. That's the problem with these carts. Spend so much and it's not complete. It sounds better than GFS at Gian's too, but may or may not do so at Mike's.

If you ever go to audio arts in N.Y. The Allaerts to me is a complete cart, outside Mike's analog set up, albeit with less resolution than Lyra (like all other carts), plus a price am happy with. This might change over the next three months as I compare it to more carts.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
You will get "all the good stuff" you mentioned above plus more dimensionality than many top carts from Opus1 sir.

Kind regards,
Tang

Thanks for your thoughts, Tang. Much appreciated.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I think Lyra does most of things but think for speed it truncates decay which is why, whenever I have heard it, and this is in many systems with valves and SS, CH, Ypsilon, pass, naim phonos, I have appreciated how music is presented but never become involved. Dynamics, speed, detail, resolution, extension, has always been great.

Opus was clearly better in Gian's system, immediately, on all the classical records I played. More natural, better stage. On an attribute to attribute basis it would lose out on speed, extension, and dynamics to the Lyra, but would still be better... That's the problem with trying to write why vs listening.

It did not have a midrange bloom. But then I think zyx while it has a nice midrange does not have a bloom at the cost of other stuff. Koetsu and madake do. And zyx universe premium at Steve's is far from dull. So there is some system mismatch

Will Opus be a cart that Is complete? I don't know. It might still not be sufficient, but then will all others. It will be more complete than Lyra based on listening in Gian's system. That's the problem with these carts. Spend so much and it's not complete. It sounds better than GFS at Gian's too, but may or may not do so at Mike's.

If you ever go to audio arts in N.Y. The Allaerts to me is a complete cart, outside Mike's analog set up, albeit with less resolution than Lyra (like all other carts), plus a price am happy with. This might change over the next three months as I compare it to more carts.

As always, I really appreciate your insight, Ked. I think two other issues I have with my Zyx Premium (which I can't seem to give away) is that the bass is too sluggish for me and the transients are on the soft side. I recently got to hear Peter's Airtight Supreme and My Sonic Labs in my system and preferred both to my Zyx. I think the Supreme was more realistic and the MSL a little hyped in the highs (not that I minded that much).

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Then you will like Opus - at least in Peter's system, heh.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Yes, I think you said it right - which is why Lyra makes analog sound more like digital.

And the systems I have heard the top Lyra carts ironically are all tube. Ron and I were talking Atlas vs Proteus recently (we both heard the same system) and agreed that the Proteus isn't warmer persay, its just more analog sounding and the brain relaxes yet still has wonderful resolution, dynamics, etc.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
MF, I've heard the Etna and Atlas in one analog friend's system....and the Atlas and Supreme in another.

I didn't like the Lyras in either system and find them more on the analytical side of the equation with a midrange that isn't particularly analog/smooth. That said, I would think the Supreme sounds more like your Zyx so if you want something different Lyra might indeed be the answer.

In the Etna/Atlas system, I preferred the Proteus to both. I find the Transfiguration a great "value"

Good luck

Keith, which Proteus are you referring to? I see there is a new D (diamond) model that is 10k...

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yes, I think you said it right - which is why Lyra makes analog sound more like digital.

And the systems I have heard the top Lyra carts ironically are all tube. Ron and I were talking Atlas vs Proteus recently (we both heard the same system) and agreed that the Proteus isn't warmer persay, its just more analog sounding and the brain relaxes yet still has wonderful resolution, dynamics, etc.

I have a Lyra Etna SL and doesn't sound digital at all too me. It is definitely less warm than my Benz Micro LPS or Ortofon Anna, but it is not digital sounding.

Maybe I need to understand what you mean by sounding "digital."

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I have a CH P1 so phono stage is not a problem. Based on what you describe here, the Altas SL is a better choice for me, but how is the soundstage and instrument separation?

You will not have any problems with either.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Well, lucky me, I'm going to get to try out an Etna SL tomorrow - thanks to a good friend who is lending me one!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Have fun Floyd. If in doubt load it higher

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Ian, did you feel that my AirTight Supreme had those qualities when you heard it in your system? Or the MSL Sig. Gold? The Opus 1 is supposed to have even more resolution, extension and speed, apparently. I have not heard it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing