Etna SL vs Atlas SL vs Opus 1

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I generally summarized what I, gian, tang, and Shane said in consistency. Those who heard OpuS rated that as the preference..Those who heard Etna and atlas rated atlas. The atlas vs a95 compare I did at Myles and concluded similar to what you concluded on the difference, that the style is similar but Lyra does it better. There did not seem to be anyone who heard the same and said otherwise. So no break in consistency. The Miya zero is the only sole data point I added at the end.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
let's just agree that Lyra carts are polarizing. there is a huge thread on the 'gon about it right now as well.

although I find charging a premium for the SL versions funny.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have actually read a number of people say they preferred the Etna SL to the Atlas SL. In the end it only matters to the person listening.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The Miyajima zero mono on original mono classical will be better than the Opus on stereo LPs in many cases.

Could it be that you are being lured into mono type sound at the momen. I am digging into mono world too but in jazz. Many mono recordings Christian, Jazdoc and other friends recommended just gave me goose bumps. So I am not sure if it is the cart but the recording format itself that intrigues me and you.

Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Could it be that you are being lured into mono type sound at the momen. I am digging into mono world too but in jazz. Many mono recordings Christian, Jazdoc and other friends recommended just gave me goose bumps. So I am not sure if it is the cart but the recording format itself that intrigues me and you.

Tang

Yes but if it's the mono recording you need the mono cart, so the zero becomes an obvious choice over stereo carts.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Yes but if it's the mono recording you need the mono cart, so the zero becomes an obvious choice over stereo carts.

I have the Etna MONO sounding wow wow wow on every mono records I have now, although you may say it’s not true mono like Zero. I like mono the way it portrays recording ambient.

Actually I can get a pretty good sense of mono recording even when I use Opus.

Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have the Etna MONO sounding wow wow wow on every mono records I have now, although you may say it’s not true mono like Zero. I like mono the way it portrays recording ambient.

Actually I can get a pretty good sense of mono recording even when I use Opus.

Tang

Well you would know that only if you heard the zero. I haven't compared but the mono experts I know said a big no to using your stereo cart on them. This is on mono original, and not on mono reissue. I have heard the zero on mono and it blows out the zyx on stereo. at Oswald mills too the best playback was mono.

So the question is, does a zero on mono originals sound better than all your other set ups?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Well you would know that only if you heard the zero. I haven't compared but the mono experts I know said a big no to using your stereo cart on them. This is on mono original, and not on mono reissue. I have heard the zero on mono and it blows out the zyx on stereo. at Oswald mills too the best playback was mono.

So the question is, does a zero on mono originals sound better than all your other set ups?

I now have only 50 mono original pressings but accumulating from friends recommendation from this forum and another. I don’t want to waste money on hit and misses too much.
I played Opus on mono just for fun and out of my curiousity. Of Course Mono cart should sounds better. I likely buy the Zero sometime in the future. But For now just the Etna mono sounds already awesome to me.

By the way, don’t use the phrase “you would know that only if....” with me again. Every time I hear this I end up writing a cheque.

Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I now have only 50 mono original pressings but accumulating from friends recommendation from this forum and another. I don’t want to waste money on hit and misses too much.
I played Opus on mono just for fun and out of my curiousity. Of Course Mono cart should sounds better. I likely buy the Zero sometime in the future. But For now just the Etna mono sounds already awesome to me.

By the way, don’t use the phrase “you would know that only if....” with me again. Every time I hear this I end up writing a cheque.

Tang

New in box Zeros have been sold at 1000 - 1200 pounds. So I guess you will need to wait to know the answer until you can raise finances

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
let's just agree that Lyra carts are polarizing. there is a huge thread on the 'gon about it right now as well.

although I find charging a premium for the SL versions funny.

Not that funny, Keith.
One of my very good friends is Japanese. The other day we were going through various web sites in Japan looking at the cartridges that they sell.
My friend was translating from Japanese and navigating through the various Japanese sites....don’t kid yourself, this isn’t something that most non-Japanese speaking people could do!
My friend was amazed and aghast at the differences in pricing and product that was/ is offered in regards to the Japanese cartridges. I had thought that the pricing in the US and possibly in Europe was a gouge—that turned out to be an understatement! The profiteering in the US is outrageous....and that’s putting it mildly. My friend questioned whether there were very large tariffs placed on the cartridges by the US or European nations....as this might explain a little bit of the ridiculous over pricing....:eek:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
New in box Zeros have been sold at 1000 - 1200 pounds. So I guess you will need to wait to know the answer until you can raise finances

If you would just stop talking about the Zero, then I would not get so curious to know if you had too much ear wax when listening to the Zero.

Tang :p

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you would just stop talking about the Zero, then I would not get so curious to know if you had too much ear wax when listening to the Zero.

Tang :p

Only in one ear. Ok for mono

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Can anyone recommend a good US Airtight dealer?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Can anyone recommend a good US Airtight dealer?

Not sure why they would recommend dealers in CA when you live on the east coast. Bill at GTT audio is your best bet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing