Oppo out

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Wtf?!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Oppo is going out of business. Buy your 4K UDP- 205's now before they are gone.

Not actually "going out of business", as a quick read of Bob's linked articles and/or some more Internet research will reveal.

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
OK, they are staying in business to sell off all their inventory and then going out of business.

The issue here really boils down to Oppo being owned by a much larger manufacturer of dramatically higher volume items. I've heard from others that parts cost increases would push prices higher, and the parent company isn't interested in lower volume business. If this was a more typical CEDIA or hi-fi company I'm sure they would have just kept going along given the strong differentiation they have in the market vs. the cheaper players in the market.

Personally I was really hoping we would see them some day work out the licensing mess from the streaming services to make the player a killer 4k/UHD interface/playback device. I have to wonder if one of the bigger brands in the home theater market might bid to take over the brand. ATI has a history of doing just that in similar past cases.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yes, Esoteric's are just too expen$ive even used one are too much $$.
Regarding Sony, which model are you referring to?

They have several models, all with SACD playback; Stereophile have reviewed some. Here's one, affordable too:
https://www.stereophile.com/content...amplifier-sony-uhp-h1-universal-player-page-2

Sony's first universel 4K UHD Blu-ray players, the X800 and X1000ES, play SACDs stereo and hybrid multichannel, they even play hi-rez DVD-Audio in both stereo and multichannel.

* The X800 I paid only $150 (USD) around last Christmas holidays.
It's like a free "audiofall" snowflake from the sky. I can't complain.

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
They have several models, all with SACD playback; Stereophile have reviewed some. Here's one, affordable too:
https://www.stereophile.com/content...amplifier-sony-uhp-h1-universal-player-page-2

Sony's first universel 4K UHD Blu-ray players, the X800 and X1000ES, play SACDs stereo and hybrid multichannel, they even play hi-rez DVD-Audio in both stereo and multichannel.

* The X800 I paid only $150 (USD) around last Christmas holidays.
It's like a free "audiofall" snowflake from the sky. I can't complain.

Only through HDMI, though, except for the afterthought stereo-only analog outs on the X1000ES

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Marantz has several CD/SACD players from affordable to high end, including the SA8005 (sometimes modified, e.g., ModWright), SA14-S1, SA-10 (new high end player/DAC).

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
There are hardly any true universal disc players with analog 5.1or 7.1 outputs, other than Oppo, and none of comparable quality. Who knows, there may not be a market for one.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
bought one yesterday at music direct, today they told me they have no more and are cancelling the order. Currently fetching $600-$700 over msrp on ebay for new ones.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
There are hardly any true universal disc players with analog 5.1or 7.1 outputs, other than Oppo, and none of comparable quality. Who knows, there may not be a market for one.

The bass management is usually superior in the pre/pro, or AV receiver.
And with analog it is more complicated to access a room calibration of decent effectiveness.

Today's HDMI connections truly simplify the latest multichannel audio technologies...Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D. With only 7.1 analog output from the Oppos, it has become a restricted world for the up-to-date aficionados in 3D music/movies...4K UHD.

All the other manufacturers know that, and you won't find much connections on their rear. Two HDMI outputs is all you'll find among one optical or coaxial digital output and the AC power cord. ...On front, a USB port. A front panel display? For some pros yes, for PJ people, mostly not.
Me, I never look there, I look onscreen. Same for my pre/pro as the Harmony remote control sets everything perfectly, including the sound mode according to the source and everything else.
I can have all my audio/video invisible, be blind in the dark, and all the magic is there, like second nature.

How many Oppo owners use the analog 7.1-channel output today; a very small minority. Oppo could have let go of this feature. And sell the 203 and 205 for the same price. They would have save money and time, and last longer with the competition, maybe. It's my opinion.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
How many Oppo owners use the analog 7.1-channel output today; a very small minority. Oppo could have let go of this feature. And sell the 203 and 205 for the same price. They would have save money and time, and last longer with the competition, maybe. It's my opinion.

I stopped using it years ago. HDMI to my Bryston SP3 sounds great.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I stopped using it years ago. HDMI to my Bryston SP3 sounds great.

Same here, I stopped exploring with them about five years ago, strictly for multichannel music listening.
I'm HDMI for both movies and multichannel music.
I still listen to analog stereo music...roughly 50/50. I'm plugged in for both digital and analog. I feel secure.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing