Great recording labels

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've heard some people say this JATP was a fluff recording made by a couple of Swedish guys that had no business doing "American" jazz, which I personally found to be quite elitist. I think the recording is superb, and if the desire was to recreate a feeling of "I am there"...they succeeded beautifully.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Totally agree. it is an incredibly lifelife recording.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hi

Shouldn't Reference Recording be part of this discussion?
And Water Lily Acoustics? Kavi Alexander (Often great Music, good to great recordings)
And DMP? Tom Jung (Great Music at times, good to excellent recordings)
And ECM which by the way produces great music and great recordings? More often than not .. Good to Excellent Music and decent to extraordinary recordings.
And EMI which has produced some wonderful classics? Som were on the famed HP naker's dozen
And Pathe Marconi ( french Label)
And Proprius?
And BIS
And Harmonia Mundi ( Music from good to spectacular , recording from decent to Extraordinary)
And Tuff Gong Studio, Which recorded many Bob Marley Albums which are sonically splendid?

There are many more I'll stop there

I refuse to be mired in the past looking at the Golden years of recording, yes they were excellent but there are other and in some caes better recordings .. Their music remains ins some instances definetive but there are now better recordings .. An example Regardless of the quality of music (decent to fair) one of the best recording of Live Jazz ..ever, IMHO is Jazz at the Pawnshop .. NO old recording, I have heard comes ...

I second the ECM quote above from FrantzM, a very complete coverage was part of last month Stereophilllle magazine interviewing the GM.

Harmonia Mundinand and Audioquest also have seen few light in these thread and worth consideration IMO.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
i would also add Collegium Records and Linn Records.

Classical:
Mercury
Decca
RCA
EMI UK
Harmonia Mundi
Connoisseur Society
Lyrita
Argo
L'oiseau Lyre
Nonesuch
Erato (organ)
Proprius (organ and choral)

Jazz:
Riverside
Pablo
Prestige
Fantasy
Verve
Blue Note
Impulse
Columbia
AudioQuest

Rock/folk:
Vanguard
EMI/Harvest

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Without trying to find it I want to say 1976.

Bingo.

My beautiful original double LP inner notes say it was recorded in Stockholm 14-15 december 1976. It also includes a very nice 30x40cm hand sketch of the premises with the performers and the public - it is why the vinyl has much better soundstage than the CD version ! :)

The SACD soundstage should be also less good than the vinyl - the graphical quality of the 10x10 cm sketch is miserable compared with the LP album. :eek:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My 'nominees' are:

1. Sheffield Lab - Doug Sax works are great, until these days.
2. RR - Keith Johnson is right up there.
3. Decca - I try to get hold of 1st press Wide Bands of my favorite titles.
4. Mercury - FR stampers are beautiful sounding.
5. Command - a few titles, by Tony Mottola are nice. Nice works by George Piros and Robert Fine.
6. RCA Living Stereo
7. Proprius - the one that got me into 'foreign' music.
8. Opus 3 - continuing the Scandinavian connection.
9. M&K - Ken Kreisel has great works too.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I also will add the MTV Unplugged albums. Eric Clapton, Corrs and Nirvana Unplugged are the 3full albums i own, and they are both excellent. i also have the Best of MTV Unplugged and there are numerous well recorded tunes there as well.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
No Problem with t1976 .. What I was pointing at was that this superb recording is not from what is considered the Golden Eras, that is late 50 to 65 .. It was much later and just to put thing in perspective, I believe a Revox A 77 was used .. I am not sure there were any tube in the process either ...

I am also really surprised there has been NO mention of Lyrita ... In many ways superlative both in musical content and recordings ...
I would also add
Deutsche Gramophon .. Usually not stellar in term of recording but musically all encompassing and more and more atuned to the righ sound at least their recent outputs...
Hyperion
Opus 3
MA Records ... Worth more than a casual listening .. Eclectic catalog of little known music and artists .. Strictly acoustic settings, they don't use studios ... Deserves more attention .. Some are musical and sonic gems .. Just ordered a few .. in Hi-Rez and Hybrid SACD ...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Also I find that the big stars can command excellent recording techniques regardless of the label.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I am also really surprised there has been NO mention of Lyrita ... In many ways superlative both in musical content and recordings ...

Yes, cut from the famous Nimbus plant in UK. Nice recordings.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No Problem with t1976 .. What I was pointing at was that this superb recording is not from what is considered the Golden Eras, that is late 50 to 65 .. It was much later and just to put thing in perspective, I believe a Revox A 77 was used .. I am not sure there were any tube in the process either ...
(...)
Deutsche Gramophon .. Usually not stellar in term of recording but musically all encompassing and more and more atuned to the righ sound at least their recent outputs...

Hyperion
Opus 3

As far as I remember, the main microphone was a condenser microphone, the famous Neumann U47 that uses a EF86 pentode tube - the same type that it is used in the input of the custom Repro amplifier of the Nagra T of Dan Dan Schmalle of the Tapeproject. Small world!

Nice to know you like the recordings of Hyperion - they are excellent, with plenty of life. Most of their recordings of polyphonic coral music have outstanding technical quality (and performance, surely).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

I would also add
Hyperion
Opus 3
MA Records ... Worth more than a casual listening .. Eclectic catalog of little known music and artists .. Strictly acoustic settings, they don't use studios ... Deserves more attention .. Some are musical and sonic gems .. Just ordered a few .. in Hi-Rez and Hybrid SACD ...

My oversight on the Lyrita. Knew needed to look at record shelves. One though has to like British composers. Having all the albums have to say that there's only a few that really listen too :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes, cut from the famous Nimbus plant in UK. Nice recordings.

Actually the best sounding Lyritas pressings were cut for them by Decca and will have the Decca matrix number. The later pressings were done by Nimbus and aren't up to the sound of the earlier Deccas. :( (Sorta like the Holland/Phillips Decca pressings.)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Actually the best sounding Lyritas pressings were cut for them by Decca and will have the Decca matrix number. The later pressings were done by Nimbus and aren't up to the sound of the earlier Deccas. :( (Sorta like the Holland/Phillips Decca pressings.)

I haven't heard those Lyritas pressed by Decca. Must be rarer than those cut by Nimbus. I should look out for them, but it wouldn't be easy these days.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I don't know what microphones were used on JATP, perhaps Bruce B. could help us on this piece of trivia. ... I also read somewhere that a High Speed Revox A 77 was used ... Have to look at some liner notes as the consensus seems to be a Nagra Portable ..
The point remains that present day recordings can be good and sometimes consistently. I can name from the top of my head two Artists whose records are routinely well recorded : Lyle Lovett and Pat Metheny ... And of course there are the bad recordings .. which are the norm ...

I didn't dig in the esoterica of whose pressing it was with the Lps , they sounded spectacular in most instances, the Lyrita CDs are also excellent . Wasn't Ken Wilkinson of Decca Fame, the Engineer for Lyrita?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi

I don't know what microphones were used on JATP, perhaps Bruce B. could help us on this piece of trivia. ... I also read somewhere that a High Speed Revox A 77 was used ... Have to look at some liner notes as the consensus seems to be a Nagra Portable ..

I seem to remember the Revox being listed on the record jacket. Opus 3 also used I think a modded A77.

The point remains that present day recordings can be good and sometimes consistently. I can name from the top of my head two Artists whose records are routinely well recorded : Lyle Lovett and Pat Metheny ... And of course there are the bad recordings .. which are the norm ...

I didn't dig in the esoterica of whose pressing it was with the Lps , they sounded spectacular in most instances, the Lyrita CDs are also excellent . Wasn't Ken Wilkinson of Decca Fame, the Engineer for Lyrita?

Wilkie did some Lyritas.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
On JATP - just checked CD liner notes for recording equipment...it's not listed. i bought mine CD s/hand so maybe i'm missing something...but what i've got does not list recording equipment.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
On JATP - just checked CD liner notes for recording equipment...it's not listed. i bought mine CD s/hand so maybe i'm missing something...but what i've got does not list recording equipment.

Full list from the FIM SACD JATP :

Neumann U47's , KM56 's and M49 cardioids
NAGRA IV x2 (2 track 15 ips 1/4" Nagra curve)

Curious that we read in many sites that it was a Revox A77 ...

Now the nice extra - Paul Stubblebine (of Paul Stubblebine Mastering and Tapeproject ) did the re-mastering for the SACD FIM version.

BTW, Steve, do you still remember your listening session of 1" tapes at Paul Stubblebine Mastering?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing