Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I'd add Layton and Mohr with their recordings in Chicago with Reiner for RCA Living Stereo, and Kenneth Wilkinson for his work during the golden age of London/Decca, especially from Kingsway Hall and Walthamstow Town Hall.

Lee

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Cool. Any links to recording techniques used by these labels would be appreciated.

Tim

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Lee I'm learning about the the three microphone "Decca Tree." The Link above concerning Wilma Cozart actually describes the technique of several recording labels. Decca included.
I'd also like to talk about the modern guys Like Doug Sax, David Chesky, et al.

I think used two mikes to a 2track Ampex recorder.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I was just looking through a portion of my LP vinyl collection. Some give the recording venue, microphone, tape recorder and actual recording arrangement. Not all are audiophile records.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
A basic jazz set-up

Attachments

• Image4..jpg
    Image4..jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 150

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Marcus roberts Trio who I think is S
ony.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Is a great label a "great label" because of the techniques they employ?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Is a great label a "great label" because of the techniques they employ?

Basically for purpose of this thread the answer is yes. I would consider Motown for example is a great label because of the talent they developed. I would not get too excited about the sound quality of their recordings.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Basically for purpose of this thread the answer is yes. I would consider Motown for example is a great label because of the talent they developed. I would not get too excited about the sound quality of their recordings.

Fair enough and I would agree.

However, and I really, really don't want to derail or "crap" on your thread as there are many members who love these kinds of dicsussions, but forgive me for asking the following. The setup and techniques may be good or above par and better than anything heard from other labels, but what about the output? Is the music enjoyable to listen to? Are the pressings on par with the same care taken in the studio? Those things are much more important to me than any technique employed in the studio.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
http://www.auldworks.com/bbrec1.htm

This site has a very interesting summary of the THE ART OF RECORDING THE BIG BAND by Robert Auld . Part two even discusses the famous The King James Version recording, and there are plenty of examples and references.
Enjoy!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Shouldn't Reference Recording be part of this discussion?
And Water Lily Acoustics? Kavi Alexander (Often great Music, good to great recordings)
And DMP? Tom Jung (Great Music at times, good to excellent recordings)
And ECM which by the way produces great music and great recordings? More often than not .. Good to Excellent Music and decent to extraordinary recordings.
And EMI which has produced some wonderful classics? Som were on the famed HP naker's dozen
And Pathe Marconi ( french Label)
And Proprius?
And BIS
And Harmonia Mundi ( Music from good to spectacular , recording from decent to Extraordinary)
And Tuff Gong Studio, Which recorded many Bob Marley Albums which are sonically splendid?

There are many more I'll stop there

I refuse to be mired in the past looking at the Golden years of recording, yes they were excellent but there are other and in some caes better recordings .. Their music remains ins some instances definetive but there are now better recordings .. An example Regardless of the quality of music (decent to fair) one of the best recording of Live Jazz ..ever, IMHO is Jazz at the Pawnshop .. NO old recording, I have heard comes ...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
How old is Jazz at the Pawnshop?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree on Reference Recording and Proprius. Prof Johnson does remarkable recordings. Pie Jesu...Turtle Creek & Dallas Wind Symphony. smokes...that is an amazing recording. speaking of which, Jazz at the Pawnshop was Dec 14-15, 1976 Stockholm...a Proprius recording. Just bought it this Christmas.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i would also add Collegium Records and Linn Records.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing