Beating Ypsilon

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
Has anybody heard the Ypsilon Aelius ii and pre 100 and compared to something which is better

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Has anybody heard the Ypsilon Aelius ii and pre 100 and compared to something which is better

Luxman m900u - Joel owns both on his Vivid Giya G1 and the Luxman easily beats the Ypsilon Aelius II. Separately I compared Ypsilon with AR Ref 10 into Constellation and the AR was much better. I am sure Vitus, Symphonic Line, Dartzeel, Berning Quads, Dagostino, CH, AR REf 250SE, FM Acoustics, would easily beat the Aelius. The Ypsilon lacks drive and bass. Possibly the higher much more expensive model that Fremer reviewed improves on that. It might perform better on easy to drive speakers. It did not do well on Soundlabs either.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

I will provide a counterpoint because some of the very best show demos I have heard were with an all Ypsilon chain and either Perfect 8 or Ypsilon's own speakers...plenty of drive and a very natural tone.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I will provide a counterpoint because some of the very best show demos I have heard were with an all Ypsilon chain and either Perfect 8 or Ypsilon's own speakers...plenty of drive and a very natural tone.

Show demos are better than private compares, obviously

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Apart from the fact that the amp at Munich was twice the price and the power of the one in the OP

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
I am using the complete chain of Ypsilon that is the Aelius II,PST 100 Pre,DAC100 but for transport it the acoustic art reference transport with cabling recommended by Demitris of Ypsilon for Analog tools
silver real good cables at a very lucrative price.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Show demos are better than private compares, obviously

Lol, that is the exact opposite of what most on this forum, including you, have said in the past on this forum...

Reactions: Manos_Bits

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lol, that is the exact opposite of what most on this forum, including you, have said in the past on this forum...

Do you not get sarcasm at all?

• Haha
Reactions: chet atkins

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Do you not get sarcasm at all?
Conveying sarcasm with just words requires much more than your rather literal statement...even an emoji or two.

caesar

May 30, 2010

Hi Morricab,
What's your take on the Perfect 8 sound?

I always thought they sounded the best with big power, like the 500 WPC BALaboo, but seems like Ypsilon may be a great match also

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi Morricab,
What's your take on the Perfect 8 sound?

I always thought they sounded the best with big power, like the 500 WPC BALaboo, but seems like Ypsilon may be a great match also

Only heard the smaller ones at a show with Ypsilon and was quite impressed with the transparency and punch. Tone was really good too probably courtesy of Ypsilon.

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
www.audiophile-magazine.com
Hi all,

I confirm that this demo Ypsilon with Perfect 8 in Munich was excellent!
Especially with LPs.
If you need more grip and slam, the silver Aelius could be the right direction but with a significant price increase.

Joël

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I am using the complete chain of Ypsilon that is the Aelius II,PST 100 Pre,DAC100 but for transport it the acoustic art reference transport with cabling recommended by Demitris of Ypsilon for Analog tools
silver real good cables at a very lucrative price.

Can I ask what speakers your using, and about the bass
Also what cabling, my understanding the Aelius 2 has a input transformer to allow balanced and even up the impedance

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Hi all,

I confirm that this demo Ypsilon with Perfect 8 in Munich was excellent!
Especially with LPs.
If you need more grip and slam, the silver Aelius could be the right direction but with a significant price increase.

Joël

Joel, Ked says u own both the Luxman and Aelius, an you give your views on each, and what speakers your driving ?

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
That’s not completely correct. I have reviewed both Aelius 2 and Aelius 2 Silver. And I still own one pair of Luxman M800a which are completely different amps when driven in BTL mode.
I have used all these amps with Vivid Audio G1 and G1 Spirit (own two pairs actually), and Leedh E2 Glass. Vivid top range is rather friendly load, and Leedh is a very difficult one.

Joël

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
That’s not completely correct. I have reviewed both Aelius 2 and Aelius 2 Silver. And I still own one pair of Luxman M800a which are completely different amps when driven in BTL mode.
I have used all these amps with Vivid Audio G1 and G1 Spirit (own two pairs actually), and Leedh E2 Glass. Vivid top range is rather friendly load, and Leedh is a very difficult one.

Joël

Can you link your reviews? THX

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Joël

If I remember correctly, your Luxman was also your preferred amp on the Maggie 20.7

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
If I remember correctly, your Luxman was also your preferred amp on the Maggie 20.7

With the 20.7, my preferred amp is the VTL 1250. Then comes the Chord SP6000, and then the Luxman M800a bridged combo.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok interesting. Is this the Wotan?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing