Why so expensive to overcome limitations of Electrostats? Why so few speakers beat ol' Quad 57?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
An all too human phenomenon. Reminds me of partisan blindness in politics, often affecting even very intelligent people.

Yes. But I think your political leanings are fine :)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Yes. But I think your political leanings are fine :)

While that may be, I don't subscribe to every idea on 'my side' either. :). I guess I'm too 'centrist' for that. :D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Exactly. However, I think all of the contributor's to this forum have the same goal. That goal is to try and reproduce the sound of music as close as to what they hear live, in their own rooms. A lofty goal, but one that seems to have a slightly different satisfaction level to each and every member here.

No, I do not think so. Some of us are realist enough to know that it is not possible, and know that being driven by an impossible dream is not a good strategy. Attempting live performances can be a good training, giving us good references that we select to recreate our version of the original music.

I am 100% certain that the sax I was listening to last night would be recognized as the 'real' thing by all contributors to this forum...and for that matter to all people. The interesting thing, that I am beginning to realize, is that not all of us are as 'tuned in' to the sound of the what the 'real' sounds like as others....in the same exactitude. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation.:cool:

Single instruments are misleading sources for life versus real comparisons. It was studied and documented since long.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So frustrating to deal with you sometimes, Ack. Peter is absolutely right on this issue and you are dead wrong.

The VTF hardly changes during the VTA adjustment (Peter measured this), and that adjustment for each record clearly yields great benefits.

Could it depend on the arm, as someone else just old me? I easily measure 0.1g to 0.2g VTF changes in mine, with 2-3mm arm adjustments, and I can show you next time we meet - these figures are not what I would call "hardly changes", but feel free to share your own experiences. Moreover, I find alignment way off. When I recently had to lower my arm 3mm, I had to readjust every parameter. Here's a little blurb from Fremer referring to Bob Graham that a friend just sent me [Bob's arms are the "neutral" kind]:

“Graham also likes to emphasize his arm’s neutral balance system. “There are three different ways to static balance an arm” Graham said, “neutral, stable, and unstable.” Stable balance, the kind typically found in lab scales, results when a moving system’s center of gravity occurs below the pivot point. Unstable balance, which Graham says is wholly undesirable for a tonearm application, happens when the center of gravity is above the pivot point. (When an arm is moved from its rest position, stable balance will create an opposing force in the attempt to move the arm back to the rest position, while an unstable balance results in a reduced force as the arm is lifted.) In a neutral balance system, such as the Phantom’s, the pivot point and center of gravity are in exactly the same plane, so when the arm is raised or lowered there is no opposing force. “As a result, Graham continued, “the only downward tracking force is provided by the counterweight, and there is no change in VTF as the arm and cartridge track our less-than-flat records.”

By contrast, my arm is a "stable" balance. So, "dead wrong"? Think about this.

You just look for a pseudo-technical excuse not to make that adjustment yourself for maximum resolution. You always talk about maximum resolution, but you are constantly willing to leave resolution on the table? That doesn't make sense.

See above

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Could it depend on the arm, as someone else just old me? I easily measure 0.1g to 0.2g VTF changes in mine, with 2-3mm arm adjustments, and I can show you next time we meet - these figures are not what I would call "hardly changes", but feel free to share your own experiences. (...)

If you register such changes with a 2-3 mm arm adjustment it is a signal that probably something is wrong with your tonearm - physics says that a change of 2 mm height (less than 1% of the length of the tonearm) can not produce an almost 10% change in VTF. I have no experience with the JMW 10.5i but I would consider aspects such as wire tension any friction - if you measure it we must have a cause for it!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
If you register such changes with a 2-3 mm arm adjustment it is a signal that probably something is wrong with your tonearm - physics says that a change of 2 mm height (less than 1% of the length of the tonearm) can not produce an almost 10% change in VTF. I have no experience with the JMW 10.5i but I would consider aspects such as wire tension any friction - if you measure it we must have a cause for it!

The point remains the same: unless your arm exhibits _NO_ VTF differences [NONE] with SRA/VTA adjustments, then you probably need to worry about it. But as always, feel free to disagree.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Microstrip cant believe you state something like this , if a good hifi system is actually capable of something believable its these kinds of music /instruments

Single instruments are misleading sources for life versus real comparisons. It was studied and documented since long.

I ll take that comparison anyday ,above cableswitching digital switching etc, studied and documented by who ?
A guy probably with a arm thick audiophile cable set or a refrigaratorsize powerconditioner ,:D

If live instruments is not what you re after then i dont know what is ;)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Microstrip cant believe you state something like this , if a good hifi system is actually capable of something believable its these kinds of music /instruments

I ll take that comparison anyday ,above cableswitching digital switching etc, studied and documented by who ?
A guy probably with a arm thick audiophile cable set or a refrigaratorsize powerconditioner ,:D

If live instruments is not what you re after then i dont know what is ;)

I am not really sure what you are referring to or if you are even responding to me, so I'll just throw something else out there that may be hard to believe, regarding unipivot arms like mine: the same 2-3mm adjustments can cause significant azimuth differences (~0.2dB if I remember correctly) - and that was one of the reasons I stabilized my arm with magnets.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I was responding to microstrips statement not you

Ps all those tiny differences audiophiles seem to hear not really interest me nor do I take it really serious

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I was responding to microstrips statement not you

Ps all those tiny differences audiophiles seem to hear not really interest me nor do I take it really serious

Yes, but IMHO your answer was not understandable at all - even I can not figure what you meant with it!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
OK, we are all cool. While I still don't understand where andromeda was going with his post, I do understand now that he doesn't care about small changes, which is fine. But to me, a 4% change in VTF (tracking at 2.3g, variance of 0.1g) is significant (not sure where you got the 10%, micro, but it doesn't really matter). What frustrates me the most is when a scientist like Al uses bold language with no real solid personal data (only circumstantial), cites someone else's unverified and unpublished phantom data (thus, only hearsay), and provides no data of any kind from anyone (verified or otherwise). That's when I really lose interest... And yes, we are way off topic (speakers)... sorry about that.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I do care about differences also tiny ones , but a lot off audiophiles have a tendency to exagerate things tremendously and go off track of what really matters

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

That sounds right. If I remember correctly, Peter measured a fluctuation of VTF between 1.98 - 2.02 upon the largest VTA changes, with 2.00 as the basis point. That is a +/- 1 % difference, which seems insignificant. He may confirm or correct.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
OK, we are all cool. While I still don't understand where andromeda was going with his post, I do understand now that he doesn't care about small changes, which is fine. But to me, a 4% change in VTF (tracking at 2.3g, variance of 0.1g) is significant (not sure where you got the 10%, micro, but it doesn't really matter). What frustrates me the most is when a scientist like Al uses bold language with no real solid personal data (only circumstantial), cites someone else's unverified and unpublished phantom data (thus, only hearsay), and provides no data of any kind from anyone (verified or otherwise). That's when I really lose interest... And yes, we are way off topic (speakers)... sorry about that.

The topic of the thread was derailed when a post mentioned three audiophile misconceptions. I responded to that post. My findings may not be published, but I did collect data. Al is a scientist. His mind is open to learning about this topic. He and I discussed the data and listening impressions to support it. I refer you to this post: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?23930-VTA-and-VTF-How-one-affects-the-other

Sorry for the diversion. I will try to get back on topic. I do think that some dynamic speakers do have electrostatic like dynamics and transparency.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Actually, I would differ...many can recognize the sound, but can't accept they have gone completely down the wrong path in choosing gear. I think this is not such a golden ears thing...people recognize the right sounds, they are just too blind (or is it deaf) to accepting that they went wrong in choosing the right path to recreate that sound. Also, people end up with their gear for a variety of non sonic reasons, which have nothing to do with what they would choose were they given a fresh start and a lot of resources to compare gear

or just simply that we don't hear the same.

for instance, some say SET makes vocals or instruments sound eerily real/in the room. I hear "holographic" distortion instead. who is right?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
to the OP - there are limitations on all kinds of speakers. you have to figure out what limits you are ok with.

for instance, dynamic drivers have crossovers which many don't like. Quads have no bass. there is no right answer for every set of ears.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I tend to think of electrostatics as a type of driver as opposed to speaker. Much of their performance, in turn, is a function of the implementation of this driver type into the speaker (just like the drivers in any other speaker design). Electrostatic's primary drawbacks are high inductance (which can largely be overcome by high current amplification) and frequency limitation. Their benefit are widely known.

When done right (with the right crossovers) electrostatics can bring exceptional dynamics in the frequency range in which they are competent and across the entire frequency range when designed with the right dynamic drivers for the frequencies in which they are not competent.

In my view most of the negative stereotypes come from the fact that some designers have taken electrosts (as drivers) into frequency ranges where they are not competent (due to their physical limitations of absolute air movement) and/or from the fact that some owners fail to match the them with high current amplification to take on their punishing inductance.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
or just simply that we don't hear the same.

for instance, some say SET makes vocals or instruments sound eerily real/in the room. I hear "holographic" distortion instead. who is right?

Sets do wonderful things on the right speaker. The guys who claim they are panacea for all speakers hear the similar to you, but are too stubborn to admit otherwise or accept what they are hearing. They delude themselves.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing