Suggestions for a Newbie

Jester

Mar 28, 2018
I have been using an old Marantz 1250 (SS amp) since the late 70's, still works great. I'm thinking of getting a tube amplifier and would like suggestions on a suitable amplifier that will hopefully not break the bank.

I had an audiophile friend back in the 80's that introduced my to the sound of a really good system (from my perspective). The speakers (there were two different sets) one being big flat Magplanars? and the others custom built KEF. Both sounded different but amazing. The power amplifier was tube based, the pre-amp was SS I think but i'm not sure. I would like to recreate that sound.

Once and a while I enjoy cranking up the volume, so I would not want something vastly underpowered compared to my present 2x125W Marantz.

Suggestions and comments please.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have also Marantz 1200B and sound is good also today
With old Magneplanar you need power,at least 80/100 watt tube so if you need good tube at cheap price has to check in vintage and find old Jadis 80 or ARC d 115,or CJ MV75,or EAR 509

john95

Apr 17, 2018
I have been using an old Marantz 1250 (SS amp) since the late 70's, still works great. I'm thinking of getting a tube amplifier and would like suggestions on a suitable amplifier that will hopefully not break the bank.

I had an audiophile friend back in the 80's that introduced my to the sound of a really good system (from my perspective). The speakers (there were two different sets) one being big flat Magplanars? and the others custom built KEF. Both sounded different but amazing. The power amplifier was tube based, the pre-amp was SS I think but i'm not sure. I would like to recreate that sound.

Once and a while I enjoy cranking up the volume, so I would not want something vastly underpowered compared to my present 2x125W Marantz.

Suggestions and comments please.

Hi Jester, I understand your feeling. My first audio system that I had back in 1977 was a Panasonic radio & tape recorder one speaker only. Of course I was a young boy and was very happy, now I have 3 audio setups, giving a look at the Bryston 28B3 monos 1,000 watts $22K and I'm not that happy as I was in 1977. I am in a different money situation today as it is expected to be successful in life but going back to your question :D There are lots of amps and speakers to choose from. If you like the KEF signature sound, check their new stuff, listen to them and find a suitable amp for that speaker. I have had KEF with tube and SS amps and sound great depending what music you like. B&W are great also. About Amps there are many tube & SS great amps like Audio Research, Conrad Johhson, Cary, Jolida for SS: Bryston, Krell, Mark Levinson, Parasound, Rotel, PS Audio but the only problem that I have found with all these units is the amount of heat that they develop in the room. If you go with a pure A class amp,100 watts it is enough but if you go with a D or A/B class amp a 300 watts is needed to drive a good number of speakers under $20K.

Last edited:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
What is the bank? If it's $6-7K, then I highly recommend these:

http://www.arteformaaudio.com.tw/due-volte.asp

Then you need to roll the tubes. I can help you optimize them if you purchase these amps. PM me.

If you are on a severe budget, get an old Scott EL84 based amp on ebay and roll the tubes in that.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome, Jester!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing