What is the history of innovation of the drivers for these incredible speakers?

caesar

May 30, 2010
This incredible speaker seems to have a very unique driver. How was it invented? How did it come to being?
Thank you

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
This incredible speaker seems to have a very unique driver. How was it invented? How did it come to being?
Thank you

http://goebel-highend.de/technology.html
You can read this from the website and if you have any other questions I will be happy to ask Oliver to answer them for you.
He holds the patent on the stiff bending wave technology that is used in the speakers Caesar

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thank you very much. I will check it out. Most people, it seems, just stuff drivers in boxes... yes the boxes are more rigid and the drivers seem to contain more exotic materials, but nothing really innovative... If possible to find out, I am wondering how Mr. Göbel got such a creative spark to pursue this innovative technology, but no biggie.

Best of luck with the line!!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It is interesting that in Goebel's flagship Divin speaker which is monstrously big...they do not use the bending wave technology.

Goebel Divin.jpg

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
It is interesting that in Goebel's flagship Divin speaker which is monstrously big...they do not use the bending wave technology.

View attachment 39559
I will ask Oliver to address that for you however I know they built it specifically for the Asian market and their distributor there. Its very efficient and I think that was a huge part of the reasoning behind it.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I will ask him to comment here. I know that this was something he was playing with for a very long time. One of the great things about an almost full range driver is the purity you get when there are't multiple different drivers and complicated crossovers with huge numbers of parts. It is a very hard item to make and do the proper cuts but IMHO its very worth it when you get to listen. I am not versed enough in engineering to tell you exactly what is happening but I think that in most multi driver systems we are hearing the result of different dispersion characteristics, phase anomalies and driver interactions that influence what the speaker ultimately presents to us as a finished musical sound. I will see if I can find out for you or ask him to comment on what his thought preocess was or what inspired him to go down this path. I would rather Oliver speak for himself since these are his designs and creations and he is an extremely bright man with a full background in engineering. If you combine that with his perfectionist attitude you get a insight into the products he makes.

Thank you Caesar, are you going to attend Axpona? RMAF? MOC? we will be at all of them in the next few months. I would be happy to introduce you.
Best regards,
Elliot

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

View attachment 39559

The bending wave driver can't give you the kind of SPL that a monster like that would produce otherwise. It's physically impossible while retaining improved phase (not perfect).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The bending wave driver can't give you the kind of SPL that a monster like that would produce otherwise. It's physically impossible while retaining improved phase (not perfect).

Thanks!

Oliver Göbel

Industry Expert
Oct 9, 2017
Munich
www.goebel-highend.de
Hello all together,

many thanks for your discussions, questions and interests in our products. I’m happy to share with you a few insides in our products and our product philosophy.

Generally, all our products are statement products in their fields with the highest demand for quality. Our goal is to really bring music alive. That is, and always was the passion behind all our efforts, researches, technologies, … to manufacture real statement products which bring the ultimate real music experience!

The basic thinkings behind our Epoque Aeon and Divin loudspeaker lines are:

The Epoque Aeon line is of course fully based on our patented and world wide unique Carbon Excellence Bending Wave drivers, with all their unique and outstanding advantages which you could find listed on our website. (Many thanks Elliot for posting the link to the technology site on our website.) A perfect phase and time behavior / coherence are only a few advantages. This Epoque Aeon loudspeaker line with it’s sensitivity of around 86 dB / 1 W is perfect for normal listening distances.
Technology like, this loudspeaker series is extremely special and for the real ultra high end connoisseurs.
Maybe it is also interesting for you to know, until now we are developing bending stiff bending wave drivers since around 20 years. Around 14 years ago I founded my company Göbel High End and simultaneously unveiled and offered our first bending wave loudspeaker series.

The Divin line is only on the very first sight a traditional dynamic loudspeaker. With enormous 2 x 18inch bass chassis, 2 x 8inch midrange chassis and one wave guided tweeter in one loudspeaker. All chassis are especially developed and designed for this Divin line. Additionally we massively used and applied our bending wave knowledge and technologies in order to perfectly control the membrane break up (because every normal piston loudspeaker also produce sound over in this case undesired bending waves), reaching a perfect phase and time behavior and avoiding resonances in the enclosure materials and crossovers.
This Divin loudspeaker has a sensitivity of around 98dB / 1W and in terms of max. sound preasure level and listening distances there are no real limitation.
The thinking behind this additional Divin loudspeaker line is to also offer a high sensitivity and highest power loudspeaker line that is the ultimate choice for real ultra high end connoisseurs, which for example prefer low wattage amps or tube amps and to show what is possible with traditional dynamic loudspeakers, which are enhanced by our bending wave technology.

Please let me know when you have any further questions.

All the best,
Oliver

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing