The Basis Transcendence

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
This ought to be one sensational turntable to listen to and own, and should be available at Goodwin's in a few weeks. I intend to go and listen with the Magico M3s

Notice, a departure from the suspended designs, which is very much along my current line of thinking (they are so yesterday). Still don't like the 2+2+1 loose wire configuration sticking out of the Superarms, and would rather see a 5-wire configuration that has the ground wrapping up the signal cables, for maximum noise absorption.

I still believe acrylic platters are the best way to go, but perhaps this metallic one is as dead as acrylic...

The AJ Conti Transcendence is a fully isolated turntable, offering the advantages of immunity to outside noise, floor vibration, and other feedback inducing energy that would greatly degrade the sound of other turntables. This turntable will deliver the same state of the art sound in any installation circumstance.

https://www.basisaudio.com/aj-conti-signature/

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Ack looks pretty interesting, their big claim seems to be their speed stability,
I am unclear about their isolation methodology do you have more information ?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This ought to be one sensational turntable to listen to and own, and should be available at Goodwin's in a few weeks. I intend to go and listen with the Magico M3s

Notice, a departure from the suspended designs, which is very much along my current line of thinking (they are so yesterday). Still don't like the 2+2+1 loose wire configuration sticking out of the Superarms, and would rather see a 5-wire configuration that has the ground wrapping up the signal cables, for maximum noise absorption.

I still believe acrylic platters are the best way to go, but perhaps this metallic one is as dead as acrylic...

https://www.basisaudio.com/aj-conti-signature/

Great link, Ack. Thanks for posting. I seriously considered Basis turntables before I chose SME. Goodwins loves Basis and I have heard two excellent examples in their showroom over the years. I'm sure this new one will sound fantastic. I checked out the claims for the new Basis table. Their rumble, wow and flutter, and speed accuracy/drift specifications are very similar to those of TechDas AF1 and the SME 30/12 as tested by Milleraudioresearch for HiFi News reviews.

AF1: rumble -105db or better, speed error 0.012%, wow 0.01%, flutter 0.02%
SME 30/12: rumble -105db or better, speed error 0.003%, wow 0.01%, flutter 0.02% (http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/download2009/reports/mar09/sme_30_12a.html)
Basis Transcendance: rumble -90db, speed error 0.012%, wow and flutter 0.01%

They claim best in the world in the promo link you provided. They seem about the same as these other two turntables which are actually tested by an independent lab.

Also, you write that you are not in favor of the suspended designs, and that Basis has departed from this design. However, the promo link states that the Transcendence is "fully isolated" and "immune from outside noise, floor vibration" etc. Are you making a distinction between "suspended" and "isolated" designs? Why is one better than the other? Could you elaborate? I met and talked at length with AJ Conti a couple of years ago about his designs and he showed me some prototypes of his new turntables and arms. He told me that his isolation footers which looked similar to those in the photo of the Transcendence were evolutions of the footers/towers that he has on his other suspended designs. It seems that his designs still incorporate isolation devices unlike a mass loaded turntable with no suspension/isolation like the American Sound AS2000.

Of course, the proof is in the listening and not so much in great specs. I may have to make another trip to Goodwins to hear the combination. I heard the M3 a few weeks ago and it is an incredible speaker.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The Transendence is one of the best TT’s that I have heard. I think it is matched by the Inspiration, but I very much like the sound of the acrylic tables in general.i also believe the Superarm 9 had quite a bit to do with the superb sound coming from the Transcendence, when I heard the combo.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Interesting you mention your liking for acrylic turntables yet I know MF is not a fan of them
I owned a musical fidelity and have heard basis debut and clearaudio reference and all three had a similarity to their sound; why is it you like about acrylic turntable yourselves

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Basically, I think that there is a sense of calm that seems to elude the typical metal plattered table...particularly if it has all other metal parts. This calm is probably what MF dislikes, he seems to like a certain amount of glare in his system, as evidenced by the fact that he never really heard the ringing of the now somewhat infamous Focal titanium tweeter in several of his prior Wilson speakers. Having heard quite a few tables that utilize acrylic platters and plinths...Clearaudio, Basis, etc, I can say that they all were quite enjoyable to me.
The Inspiration is a superb table that I think is not really bettered by any other table out there, IME. The Clearaudio Statement is also still SOTA in most ways, even today.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes I agree that acrylic has a certain “ quiet” to them which metal platters don’t have

There is the argument they are non resonant, however they don’t necessarily challenge vibration away, like metal platters, which transmit sound together , but need their resonance tuned

I agree they do have this calm sound, but am still not sure it’s not a coloration , though I agree it is very appealing

The engineering specs on this new table are pretty superb, so I could see why it could appeal

Maybe I will have another listen to basis turntables

They are very reasonably priced second hand, was always tempted to a vacuum model to try ;)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The Transendence is one of the best TT’s that I have heard. I think it is matched by the Inspiration, but I very much like the sound of the acrylic tables in general.i also believe the Superarm 9 had quite a bit to do with the superb sound coming from the Transcendence, when I heard the combo.

What was the rest of the system?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Basically, I think that there is a sense of calm that seems to elude the typical metal plattered table...particularly if it has all other metal parts. This calm is probably what MF dislikes, he seems to like a certain amount of glare in his system, as evidenced by the fact that he never really heard the ringing of the now somewhat infamous Focal titanium tweeter in several of his prior Wilson speakers. Having heard quite a few tables that utilize acrylic platters and plinths...Clearaudio, Basis, etc, I can say that they all were quite enjoyable to me.
The Inspiration is a superb table that I think is not really bettered by any other table out there, IME. The Clearaudio Statement is also still SOTA in most ways, even today.

+1 on all points. And it looks like Clearaudio are the only ones left doing acrylic?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Oracle in Canada still doing it too.

Jeffy,

As far as I remember the current Oracle platter is made of aluminum or another metal with a solid acrylic mat. But there are several other manufacturers using solid acrylic platters, such as Scheu, Audio Note, Bergman and some Project models.

My first turntable with an acrylic platter was the Pink Triangle PT T00 - it had a vivid, well defined but light sound. The Forsell has a thick acrylic structure platter sandwich, including a damping layer and a metallic layer.

David Wilson carries demos of the WAMM in his room with a Basis Inspiration turntable.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have to admit Basis turntables have always evoked emotions in my senses

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 208
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 210

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
What was the rest of the system?

If I remember correctly, it was ARC Ref 250's, ARC Ref 10, Wilson Alexx's. I played my original Living Presence Rite of Spring and the dynamics blew us all away.

Great table. Now that AJ is no longer with us, i sincerely hope that his family will continue in the business. Top level Basis tables are one of only a few that I think can better my Radikal D Linn.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Italian distributor told me that Basis will go on to produce without problems

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I got into analog because of the acrylic SPJ alba TT. I heard it, jumped, and said I can't ignore analog anymore (i would like to, it's too expensive)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing