The Basis Transcendence

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Agreed. However, I think the SQ is easily up there with the AF1...and to my taste...actually considerably better.

Have you heard this? I have heard the one Gian is referring to it isn't close to AF1

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Have you heard this? I have heard the one Gian is referring to it isn't close to AF1

We are talking about the Basis Transcendence,right?...which I have indeed heard, and on a couple of occasions. As I stated above, I much prefer it to the Tech Das...to my ears.
I have heard the Tech Das AF1 on a few occasions,frankly it is not that impressive to me...SQ wise. Not a popular opinion here, I’m sure, but that’s my opinion and others will differ.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry I was talking about the work of art.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
We are talking about the Basis Transcendence,right?...which I have indeed heard, and on a couple of occasions. As I stated above, I much prefer it to the Tech Das...to my ears.
I have heard the Tech Das AF1 on a few occasions,frankly it is not that impressive to me...SQ wise. Not a popular opinion here, I’m sure, but that’s my opinion and others will differ.

You compared the AF1 to the Transcendence in the same system or was it in your system?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
You compared the AF1 to the Transcendence in the same system or was it in your system?

To me these sort of comparison are very challenging, even in the same system with the same arm and cartridge, you need time to optimise, then the question is, does that arm and cartridge bring out the best with that turntable, may be not, when Ked compared DDK well set up TTs, he changed his mind on preference dependent on different carts on different turntables.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
To me these sort of comparison are very challenging, even in the same system with the same arm and cartridge, you need time to optimise, then the question is, does that arm and cartridge bring out the best with that turntable, may be not, when Ked compared DDK well set up TTs, he changed his mind on preference dependent on different carts on different turntables.

It's impossible to evaluate ANY piece of gear if it's in a system you're not familiar with. Turntables are most difficult because of arms, cars, phono stages, platforms, etc.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It's impossible to evaluate ANY piece of gear if it's in a system you're not familiar with. Turntables are most difficult because of arms, cars, phono stages, platforms, etc.

You can say that again, it takes a long while to understand a highend tt and and only after you get the setup right.

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
it takes a long while to understand a highend tt and and only after you get the setup right.

david

I put a bold on these words. I listen to my tts almost everyday and I am still learning more and more about my tts. I would be so over my head if I say I really understand the EMT 927.

Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I put a bold on these words. I listen to my tts almost everyday and I am still learning more and more about my tts. I would be so over my head if I say I really understand the EMT 927.

Tang

Depends whether you are interested in understanding the 927 or in judging what it can sonically do. If the latter, visit 3 to 4 people who have set it up well - ddk, airbearing, etc. Maybe you will be one of them. It is possible it sounds different in all those systems - in some good, in some bad. You then need to try to replicate the set up where it sounds good. If you just keep trying in your system on your own, you may (or may not) get it to sound right. Luckily, you have a lot of resources. Most people do not have the resources to get complex things sounding right in their own system, as they are compromised by budget and space. That's why people get excited every time they buy an amp. It is not like they have lined up 10 amps at their place with their speaker to understand the right combo and differences, but nevertheless, they buy an amp, or a TT, and keep it for 2 years and post excitedly about it daily till they sell it off.

In fact, I would contend that for 95% of those with limited resources, in their own system, will never hear what their components can do. This is especially true of more complex gear like analog and certain speakers, as again, 95% of people underdrive their speakers and have too large speakers for their rooms.

To put it another way, have you understood your TTs or carts more because you have had multiple TTs, arms, carts, and phonos?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
To put it another way, have you understood your TTs or carts more because you have had multiple TTs, arms, carts, and phonos?

Dear Kedar,

Yes, you are correct. Multiple tts, arms, carts and phonos will help understand tt or cart more. It is the same principle as you yourself visiting different systems but listening to the same cart. You will likely hear different sound but still can identify some cart's inherent characteristics. A cart in system A might not sound as good as in system B (because an arm or even a phono is different) and the guy with system A might be too early to conclude that the cart is not that good. So for me, I like to take my time listening to each piece of equipment, then start changing other variables to see how sound changes. I have listened to the 927 with Orthofon for 4-5 months now. Now I am changing the arm to see how the sound change and what sounds remain. So I can understand the tt itself more. I am sure ddk and airbearing who have been living with the 927 for ages played around with theirs until they really know the intrinsic characters of this tt.

I still have a lot of time to catch up because I am young :cool:.

Sorry for getting off topic. I will stop now.

Kind regards,
Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear Kedar,

Yes, you are correct. Multiple tts, arms, carts and phonos will help understand tt or cart more. It is the same principle as you yourself visiting different systems but listening to the same cart. You will likely hear different sound but still can identify some cart's inherent characteristics. A cart in system A might not sound as good as in system B (because an arm or even a phono is different) and the guy with system A might be too early to conclude that the cart is not that good. So for me, I like to take my time listening to each piece of equipment, then start changing other variables to see how sound changes. I have listened to the 927 with Orthofon for 4-5 months now. Now I am changing the arm to see how the sound change and what sounds remain. So I can understand the tt itself more. I am sure ddk and airbearing who have been living with the 927 for ages played around with theirs until they really know the intrinsic characters of this tt.

I still have a lot of time to catch up because I am young :cool:.

Sorry for getting off topic. I will stop now.

Kind regards,
Tang

Ahem, Airbearing & I are young at heart! For ages is true, more than two decades for me with nothing besides a few cartridge changes it's a testament to it's sound quality and engineering, what are you changing the Ortofon arm to Tang?

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Ahem, Airbearing & I are young at heart! For ages is true, more than two decades for me with nothing besides a few cartridge changes it's a testament to it's sound quality and engineering, what are you changing the Ortofon arm to Tang?

david

Haha..I knew you would Ahem :D.

I had Dietrich makes the Axiom 14” to fit the original mounting of the 927 so I could keep the tt original and authentic. He was here two weeks ago but the mounting mechanism was a bit off so he had to go back to refabricate. Will be back mid April. I am familair with the sound of Axiom so putting it on the 927 will let me hear and learn more of the tt itself...without the Ortofon that I have been listening to from the start.

Just have to do the walk.
Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Haha..I knew you would Ahem :D.

I had Dietrich makes the Axiom 14” to fit the original mounting of the 927 so I could keep the tt original and authentic. He was here two weeks ago but the mounting mechanism was a bit off so he had to go back to refabricate. Will be back mid April. I am familair with the sound of Axiom so putting it on the 927 will let me hear and learn more of the tt itself...without the Ortofon that I have been listening to from the start.

Just have to do the walk.
Tang

That should be an interesting combination!

david

GT Audio Works

Industry Expert
Feb 12, 2015
Stockholm NJ
www.gtaudioworks.com
For those planning on attending Capital AudioFest in November
We are happy to report Basis Audio will be joining our room.
The AJ Conti Transcendence will be part of our system.
As well as Pass Labs XS150 monos, XS phono and XS line stage.
Greg

Reactions: PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing