Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Electrical phase...

In Australia we have a mixture of single phase and three phase power in homes, but thanks Folsom for your comprehensive explanation, we run 240 Volts ...
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    I like a lot my proximity polarity checker - I can check polarity anytime even without disconnecting plugs from the sockets. Mine is similar to this one:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, SoundLab A1 Px, Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT 2, cj ART monoblocks , TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

I have this one. But you can only test the hot and neutral outlet/IEC PC pin...
    The question is how to verify that the, for example, amplifier internal phase is right or inverted.

Name:  95A4C1FA-AEC9-4967-B68F-FEA9EABF46E3.jpeg
Views: 78
Size:  16.6 KB

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stereophonic View Post
    I have this one. But you can only test the hot and neutral outlet/IEC PC pin...
    The question is how to verify that the, for example, amplifier internal phase is right or inverted.

Name:  95A4C1FA-AEC9-4967-B68F-FEA9EABF46E3.jpeg
Views: 78
Size:  16.6 KB
    The proximity polarity checker allows this check. It as is built using a sensor that is sensitive to the electric field, not current. Just checked a DVD player that does not have a grounded plug - in one position it lights a 8t cm distance and in the reverse orientation of the plug it lights at 2 cm - this is the proper position corresponding to a lower leakage current through ground. Remember that in order to break the ground line you have to use a cheater adapter to carry this measurement - you can get it from a cheap travel plug adapter set.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, SoundLab A1 Px, Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT 2, cj ART monoblocks , TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Thank you very much Micro !!!

The "phaser" (funny name, silly) just tells you the same thing as those testers for hot wires... It does what it says on the top, it detects polarity. If you know which wire is Hot (Line) you know the polarity. The whole point of the phaser is just to make sure everything is wired with the same polarity, but clearly you can use the little hand-held versions.

If you want to know about the amplifier ask the manufacturer first. Maybe you've played with a DAC that has a phase button? Rarely does it do anything. Albums can be in or out of ultimate phase. My suggestion is not to worry about it. Polarity is a worthy concern, however, as stated previously.
    Industry Affiliation: Folsom

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    The proximity polarity checker allows this check. It as is built using a sensor that is sensitive to the electric field, not current. Just checked a DVD player that does not have a grounded plug - in one position it lights a 8t cm distance and in the reverse orientation of the plug it lights at 2 cm - this is the proper position corresponding to a lower leakage current through ground. Remember that in order to break the ground line you have to use a cheater adapter to carry this measurement - you can get it from a cheap travel plug adapter set.
    That isn't phase though, it is polarity still. Anyway, that is a great little trick.
    Industry Affiliation: Folsom

Hi everybody.

Yesterday i recieved this item:

Name:  12C6BC18-6CB1-4537-9BE4-AADA51AAAD15.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  93.6 KB

That is the operating instructions:

Name:  E6224129-6321-49FF-A4A5-512899214630.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  167.4 KB

My objective was to detect the internal polarity of each electronic/electric device.
    This item really works !!! I have confirmed that all my audio system is right connected.
    As my mono amplifiers has hum sound since day one i began to test all the rest of the electric devices of my home.
    I discovered refrigerator and coffee machine were connected out of phase.
    Once everything tested and rightly connected amplifiers hum sound has gone.
    Now i haven’t any ground loop.

Highly recommended !!!!
    Last edited by Stereophonic; 04-14-2018 at 05:11 AM.

I’m sorry but i can’t write any objective audio improvement.
    My new router LPS is still on broken progress.

Name:  CE1DE37F-1849-4011-87BB-7EF87B608B2F.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  55.3 KB

Regards !!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234