A “Loom”? Why Not a “Complete Set of Cables”?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In my possibly annoying but nevertheless well-intended efforts to encourage proper grammar, punctuation and definitions here on WBF I have noticed that some members refer to a complete set of a particular brand and model of cables as a “loom.”

This appears to be an innocent and inadvertent misuse of the noun “loom.”

8291B5CD-0D68-4614-A6E2-0D0C0541DB5C.jpg

As a complete set of audio cables of the same brand and model is not an “apparatus for making thread or yarn into cloth by weaving,” perhaps we can describe the former as a “complete set of audio cables of the same brand and model”?

As that admittedly seems a bit cumbersome perhaps we can write the very simple and succinct “complete set” or “full set”?

“Loom” is inapposite.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In my possibly annoying but nevertheless well-intended efforts to encourage proper grammar, punctuation and definitions here on WBF I have noticed that some members refer to a complete set of a particular brand and model of cables as a “loom.”

This appears to be an innocent and inadvertent misuse of the noun “loom.”

(...)
As a complete set of audio cables of the same brand and model is not an “apparatus for making thread or yarn into cloth by weaving,” perhaps we can describe the former as a “complete set of audio cables of the same brand and model”?

As that admittedly seems a bit cumbersome perhaps we can write the very simple and succinct “complete set” or “full set”?

“Loom” is inapposite.

Ron,

I am a non native english writer, and probably could learn a lot from your well intended efforts. But since I have been reading about "cable looms" since many decades from Keithley, HP, Tektronix and other manufacturers, I see no reason to change and I intend to go on using such wording.

Anyway, a quick search shows that writers such as M. Fremer and Harry Pearson used it frequently, Stereophile and Hifi+ magazines also do similarly, why shouldn't WBF posters use it?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
4 letters and one syllable vs more? :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Ron,

I am a non native english writer, and probably could learn a lot from your well intended efforts. But since I have been reading about "cable looms" since many decades from Keithley, HP, Tektronix and other manufacturers, I see no reason to change and I intend to go on using such wording.

Anyway, a quick search shows that writers such as M. Fremer and Harry Pearson used it frequently, Stereophile and Hifi+ magazines also do similarly, why shouldn't WBF posters use it?

I agree

“Loom” is a well accepted term that is imo understood in audiophile banter

I see no reason to change

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, microstrip, for your reply. But I don’t find terribly persuasive the argument that “people we respect do it wrong, so that means we can do it wrong, too.”

Steve, it certainly is possible — in fact, you are very likely correct — that “loom” has become a kind of audiophile slang. (Of course I would reply that we should try to use proper English and to avoid slang, even in our own hobby. :D)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you, microstrip, for your reply. But I don’t find terribly persuasive the argument that “people we respect do it wrong, so that means we can do it wrong, too.”

Steve, it certainly is possible — in fact, you are very likely correct — that “loom” has become a kind of audiophile slang. (Of course I would reply that we should try to use proper English and to avoid slang, even in our own hobby. :D)

Sorry, but you are misunderstanding and misrepresenting my argument. It is not audiophile slang, it is a technical expression.

Do you think that companies that wrote technical documentation for decades, such as Keithley, Hewlet Packard, Tektronix, and many scientific /technical writers who wrote known books on instrumentation, all did it wrong?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Loom is sexy, I like it. Plus it rhymes well with loon and moon and vroom. :b

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Sorry, but you are misunderstanding and misrepresenting my argument. It is not audiophile slang, it is a technical expression.

Do you think that companies that wrote technical documentation for decades, such as Keithley, Hewlet Packard, Tektronix, and many scientific /technical writers who wrote known books on instrumentation, all did it wrong?

In this case I think you are implying that they all used the word “loom” as technical jargon. Technical jargon is extremely common in virtually every field. I use technical jargon myself.

To answer your question if we assume they were all using technical jargon, then that’s one thing. Technical jargon has a long and proud history . :cool: If they were attempting to use proper English then, yes, they all did it wrong.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
In this case I think you are implying that they all used the word “loom” as technical jargon. Technical jargon is extremely common in virtually every field. I use technical jargon myself.

To answer your question if we assume they were all using technical jargon, then that’s one thing. Technical jargon has a long and proud history . :cool: If they were attempting to use proper English then, yes, they all did it wrong.

The term "Loom" is used in pro audio for multi cable assemblies..also known as patch cables and a few other names I can't recall. It think "kit" came from Ham radio also.

Attachments

• IMG_1984.jpg
    IMG_1984.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 136

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is so funny that you should mention “kit,” Roger. “Kit” is another word I personally find annoying when it is used to refer to a bunch of audio components.

“Kit” does not come from the amateur radio world, as I have had my FCC license since I was 12 years old.

I thought “kit” came from “drum kit”?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ron, since you have decided to elect yourself as the the head of the grammar police, it will be our job to make sure that any grammar failings on your behalf are immediately rectified! LOL!!:p:D

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
That is so funny that you should mention “kit,” Roger. “Kit” is another word I personally find annoying when it is used to refer to a bunch of audio components.

“Kit” does not come from the amateur radio world, as I have had my FCC license since I was 12 years old.

I have some amateur radio friends and they use the term...lol. I hope to get my general this year...have wanted to since I was a kid.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
A kit is a sound system in Europe.
A rack is a structure with your audio components.

Spring is in the air.
___

Bonus:

I thought a rack held wine bottles,horns on a elk or a busty chested woman...wth do I know.;)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, since you have decided to elect yourself as the the head of the grammar police, it will be our job to make sure that any grammar failings on your behalf are immediately rectified! LOL!!:p:D

100% absolutely correct!

FYI: I often write posts on my cell phone, and then when I read them later on the computer I see typos. I always correct typos I see. I believe it is difficult for people to proofread their own writing, and virtually impossible to proofread accurately one's own writing immediately after writing it.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

A sports team's uniform is also referred to as a "kit"...in England anyway. I hear it referred to in North America with increasing frequency among MLS fans. Remember also that language evolves...and I'm OK...or is it Okay ...with that.:D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I thought a rack held wine bottles,horns on a elk or a busty chested woman...wth do I know.;)

A wine rack of course. Me I never hunted, my Dad did, and even if we are French, we used to call them "rack" for the moose on top of the car, with his rack in front of the hood. The year was 1959.

Rack: http://www.testing1212.co.uk/r

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have some amateur radio friends and they use the term...lol. I hope to get my general this year...have wanted to since I was a kid.

I have had a General Class FCC license since I was around 15. I could not copy Morse Code today at 13 wpm to save my life. (I would say my current Morse Code copy speed is two or three wpm!)

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
In electronics the world 'loom' has always meant:
A flexible nonmetallic tubing placed around insulated wires for protection.
Later it referred to a 'wiring harness' like in the dashboard of your car.

Audiophiles are known to re-purpose words. Words like 'subjective' for one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing