A “Loom”? Why Not a “Complete Set of Cables”?

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
In electronics the world 'loom' has always meant:
A flexible nonmetallic tubing placed around insulated wires for protection.
Later it referred to a 'wiring harness' like in the dashboard of your car.

Audiophiles are known to re-purpose words. Words like 'subjective' for one.

Ya but what's not subjective is that Ron's objectivity is always looming behind the scenes while we all rack our brains to keep up with his unique kit of skills.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
;)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
As it relates to wire the term loom probably came out of the early automobile or aircraft industries. In these industries they had to form and weave groups or bundles of wires and snake them through their vehicles.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ya but what's not subjective is that Ron's objectivity is always looming behind the scenes while we all rack our brains to keep up with his unique kit of skills.

Now that is the type of humor I appreciate early in the morning. Well done, Paul.

I agree with you Ron about how some of the terms in this hobby are a bit annoying and often confusing, or misused. However, I think the goal should be that we, as a community, come to some kind of agreement about the terms we use so that we can better communicate. If the term "loom" is understood and accepted as a way to describe an assortment of cables, from one manufacturer or not, then we should appreciate the fact that everyone knows to what the word refers. It seems rather unambiguous to me, if not precisely "correct" English. Conveying meaning is surely more important than rules or adhering to dictionary definitions. I can't believe I just wrote that because I am usually a stickler for rules and proper use of a language. Well, there we are.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
“sounds” is the term that bothers me most.

100%!

It has always made me smile when someone talks about how their power outlet "sounds",or any other object, in their bit of kit.

"I installed a new super nuclear,reverse ionic, quadruple grounded,triple infused, double insulated,wiped down with holy water outlet today and sat down to listen how it sounds"

Not that it does not change the sound one way or another, it just sounds silly and any "normal" person would have us committed once their butt got up off the floor from falling off their chair from belly laughing so hard they hurt.

Every forum has its grammar police, got over it decades ago, but it makes for some fun.
Another one I am on, the dude gets roasted every time he makes an error.
When I find it to be a problem I will start hanging out on the grammar forum,
With an international crowd this is a futile effort.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
100%!

It has always made me smile when someone talks about how their power outlet "sounds",or any other object, in their bit of kit.

"I installed a new super nuclear,reverse ionic, quadruple grounded,triple infused, double insulated,wiped down with holy water outlet today and sat down to listen how it sounds"

Not that it does not change the sound one way or another, it just sounds silly and any "normal" person would have us committed once their butt got up off the floor from falling off their chair from belly laughing so hard they hurt.

Ha. I didn't even think of it that way but you're right.

I don't like when people refer to a brand's sounds. "I don't like 'XYZ' sounds." It's not plural.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
People that don't care have "Wires"

People that sort of care have "Cables"

The OCD among us have "Looms" because we are the crazies that actually try to dress all our cables in opposing 90 degree angles LOL In light of that your honor, I move that the term loom be recognized under the WBF rules of court. LOL

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
People that don't care have "Wires"

People that sort of care have "Cables"

The OCD among us have "Looms" because we are the crazies that actually try to dress all our cables in opposing 90 degree angles LOL In light of that your honor, I move that the term loom be recognized under the WBF rules of court. LOL

If My dear administrator Ron goes after grammar too, I then would have to stop writing.

Tang :)

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Living languages evolve with usage. Dictionaries eventually catch up! How long has google been recognized as a verb? Not long. "Google it!", but it's in common usage and understood by most everyone.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing