Max's speaker and a few words...

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
100 mm aluminium what you want?
A monster in your house , i ts not gonna be cheap too.
Mine are 40 mm which is more then enough i think i could go to 30 mm also without problem .
Remember magicos extruded S 5 aluminium is only 14 mm iirc.

Cast not milled. You can get a custom-cast piece in Germany for not that much money. But that in 5 years time.
Right now I'm optimizing driver-radiation patterns.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
To give a rough cast design a Nice finish wont be cheap either and still reqiure quit a bit of milling to fit in the units properly

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
To give a cast design a Nice finish wont be cheap either and still reqiure quit a bit of milling to fit in the units proper ly

But you can overall make it "smaller" because you do not have to design in "aproachways" for the CNC mill.

Yeah I know its going to be f-ing expensive... but I have no plans to sell them commercially...

And only the bass enclousure will be cast. The top ones will be specific to the midrange or tweeter...
So I have a quick-change system for the top drivers- They would be fixed to the bass enclosure with big bolts (M12 or something along those lines).
Antivibration-mat in between.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
M 13 is not a standard you mean M 12.
IT would have been my Idea as well although not bolted .
My next speakerdesign if there Will be any , i might try a ribbontweeter for a change which can be filtered lower

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
M 13 is not a standard you mean M 12.
IT would have been my Idea as well although not bolted .
My next speakerdesign if there Will be any , i might try a ribbontweeter for a change which can be filtered lower

Yeah miss-type... Fixed
Sounds cool. Im really like the modular idea...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes its cool , i could make another mtm with the same eff. / Roll off and Just place IT on top , basscabinets are costly to make

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Which CAD programs are you folks using for these pictures posted? SolidWorks or??

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes i think so.
to be honest i only did the design, a guy at my previous work helped me with the computermodelling,
It was quite a Nice design , pin - hole construction through out , only bolts at the back , a Industrial dampning glue in between , the whole design glassbead blasted clear anodized.
Like the Boulder amp finish

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Tweeter would sound better off-center.

No port?

And even better with arm Thick cables lol.
No no port remember IT was designed to be used with a bass cabinet so steeper mtm roll off would only be beneficiair.
Different tweeter placement gives off course different dispersion , do you have some arguments measurement s to back your claim up why off center is better?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ah, I missed that you were using with bass cabs.

Claims? Every speaker building book, too many websites and pro speaker builders to count as well, modeling software for speakers & diffraction, etc. Here's a simple post about it.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Seems like they dont state it as An absolute thruth either.
Diffraction ive paid high attention too, hence my ultra smooth rounded baffles.
A reason EA acoustics speakers might sound as free as they are might stem from the fact they have paid extreem attention to sloping cabinets.
With the HPL i use it would be very expensive due to exxesive waist material.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Avalons also have that spacious character , also sloping cabinets to minimize diffraction, in speaker design there are a lot trade offs , especially if you want it not to be too expensive

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
By the way max whats the eff today of those AT drivers?
It used to be very low in the 84 db range , probably thats why the old arrakis was such a juice sucker

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Another example of a minimum diffraction moulded design is the arrakis off course, not aluminium i know.
If you pour aluminium in a mould any shape is possible which is an advantage

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Seems like they dont state it as An absolute thruth either.
Diffraction ive paid high attention too, hence my ultra smooth rounded baffles.
A reason EA acoustics speakers might sound as free as they are might stem from the fact they have paid extreem attention to sloping cabinets.
With the HPL i use it would be very expensive due to exxesive waist material.

If you rounded over the corners of your cabinet a lot more it wouldn't be as important to offset the tweeter. Look at GMFK's design, that's a round-over. There is no question of whether or not it's happening, but rather how important it happens to be. It's obviously more key to MTM's because the tweeter is so symmetrical compared to say Rockports where it's at the top of a trapezoid-ish shape and there for not as symmetrical.

Another way around it is absorbing material around a tweeter (see Wilson and Ryan speakers).

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Depends which rockport you pick , the arrakis uses Both symetrical mtm plus absorption plus a sloping cabinet, most top high end speakermanufacturers have a symetrical mtm , that a diy website says its not the best way , is another story.
Afaik max doesnt built a mtm

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Well, most high end speakers are somewhat underwhelming anyways. Most of the ones I've liked deal with diffraction in some way. A horn/waveguide would be another way to change the MTM so it wouldn't be as important.

The DIYa post was just the first one I came across. Generally speaking you'll find more knowledgeable people on there than in the industry (many of them are the people engineering the products you use) - it just takes time to figure out who is who. You can also find this information from speaker buildings books, various companies, and just knowing basic physics will tell you it's so. Again, the argument may be whether it's important or not. It has been shown that plenty of products ignore diffraction and some people like the harsher sounding tweeters. But many of them use round overs so they don't have to worry about it so much, too.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
An expert sells loudspeakers not books imo.
I tossed that Vance Dickinson Ls cookbook right in the bin.
I like to design and listen , not Just follow some formulas.
A real succesfull loudspeaker entrepreneur is to busy for forums anyway dont you think?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing