PNW NADAC Player demo opportunity

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Hi all. So what's an analog-centric guy like me doing with a new Nadac Player? A demo opportunity arose from the new distributor, and since my vinyl mastering studio days had put me close to Merging hardware in the past I decided to take this for a test drive to see if it would be a good fit. For the next two weeks an in home demo for Seattle area forum members could be arranged.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
The NADAC is a joke, and the NADAC Player is an even bigger joke. I say this as a massively disappointed owner of a NADAC.

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. I've never heard one, will do this weekend. If I may ask is it the sound quality or user experience or both?

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Nothing wrong with the user experience IMO. It got it to work with no problems. The local dealer is great.

My beef is the sheer cost of this thing and what it offers for the money. Look inside and you will find parts that are exceeded by even a humble personal digital player. Why are they using an ancient off-the-shelf DAC chip worth $20 each, and an SMPS for example - in a DAC that is priced to compete against Playback Designs (which uses its own custom firmware upgradeable DAC chip)? Switch mode power supplies are a dirty word in the high end word, especially since the modest power requirements of this thing would mean it would not cost more for them to equip it with a decent power supply, and there is so much empty space in the case! If it were 1/3 the price it would be good value. But at the price they are trying to flog it at - there is no way.

I paid another $1500 to buy a third party Linear PSU and it made an immediate and noticeable difference. So it ended up costing me an extra $1500 when it would have cost Merging maybe a hundred dollars (if that!) to put a better PSU in it, in the first place.

I strongly urge you to open it up and take a look. What you will see will make you very angry if you had to pay for it.

As for the sound, I compared it against an MSB DAC IV and the Playback Designs MPS-5. And I most recently had a chance to compare it with the Holo Springs DAC (at about 1/5 the price). Every time it is compared to another DAC, it loses. It has a thin, "fast" sound. Nearly everything else has richer harmonics and more of a sense of body.

Oh yes, when I complained on another forum about the poor value of the NADAC, none other than Dominique Brulhart turned up to abuse me.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Thanks for the reply. I am merely exploring it so I don't have any preconceived idea of what it offers on sonics or value.

roundhead

Oct 31, 2018
Can you recommend a cheaper and better value for money MULTICHANNEL DAC with Roon or alternative streaming built in please? I’m hunting for such a device and the Nadac player ticks all these boxes but as you say it’s a big box with empty spaces abs cheap parts.

Reactions: Solypsa

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Can you recommend a cheaper and better value for money MULTICHANNEL DAC with Roon or alternative streaming built in please? I’m hunting for such a device and the Nadac player ticks all these boxes but as you say it’s a big box with empty spaces abs cheap parts.
exaSound s88. It is more flexible than the NADACs, is a Roon endpoint and can be used as Roon Core. OTOH, I would not recommend the latter if your collection is extensive. I would, however, recommend the optional LPS for the DAC/analog portion of the s88.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
it's a mistake to confuse the NADAC products of 4-5 years ago with the current product line up. it's got much, much better, more natural sounding, and more expensive.

the top level NADAC dacs now compete at a very high level. so the earlier posts (2018 and back) on this thread are not relevant. at Axpona 2019 i heard a NADAC dac that was superb.

Reactions: Solypsa

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Nothing wrong with the user experience IMO. It got it to work with no problems. The local dealer is great.

My beef is the sheer cost of this thing and what it offers for the money. Look inside and you will find parts that are exceeded by even a humble personal digital player. Why are they using an ancient off-the-shelf DAC chip worth $20 each, and an SMPS for example - in a DAC that is priced to compete against Playback Designs (which uses its own custom firmware upgradeable DAC chip)? Switch mode power supplies are a dirty word in the high end word, especially since the modest power requirements of this thing would mean it would not cost more for them to equip it with a decent power supply, and there is so much empty space in the case! If it were 1/3 the price it would be good value. But at the price they are trying to flog it at - there is no way.

I paid another $1500 to buy a third party Linear PSU and it made an immediate and noticeable difference. So it ended up costing me an extra $1500 when it would have cost Merging maybe a hundred dollars (if that!) to put a better PSU in it, in the first place.

I strongly urge you to open it up and take a look. What you will see will make you very angry if you had to pay for it.

As for the sound, I compared it against an MSB DAC IV and the Playback Designs MPS-5. And I most recently had a chance to compare it with the Holo Springs DAC (at about 1/5 the price). Every time it is compared to another DAC, it loses. It has a thin, "fast" sound. Nearly everything else has richer harmonics and more of a sense of body.

Oh yes, when I complained on another forum about the poor value of the NADAC, none other than Dominique Brulhart turned up to abuse me.
Hi Keith,

Interesting. As the founder and former owner of Playback Designs, I've compared both players numerous times as well as with the newer Playback Designs components and I assure you something must have been amiss during your time with the Merging Technologies NADAC because there really is no comparison... the NADAC is far superior sonically. Also the Playback Designs is quite a bit more expensive and always has been.

You can listen to 10 dacs all with the same chipset and yet they all sound different. Why is that if the DAC chip is so important? There is a lot more that goes into the sound of a DAC.

I sold the company in 2014 and did not take on new digital until 2019 because I had not heard anything I thought was worthwhile enough until the Merging Technologies NADAC. Merging also now offers an optional and outstanding external power supply which adds greatly to the sonics and is still quite a bit less expensive than the Playback Designs offerings. I had a chance to compare the Merging with other DACs as well, the Nagra HD, Lampizator's Golden Gate 1 & 2 as well as the Pacific, Aqua Formula xHD, EMM Labs DA2 and countless others. The Merging NADAC always easily came out on top. That is why I proudly took on the line.

Keith, I do not know where you live, but I invite you to revisit the NADAC again. I am certain your experience will be much different.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
exaSound s88. It is more flexible than the NADACs, is a Roon endpoint and can be used as Roon Core. OTOH, I would not recommend the latter if your collection is extensive. I would, however, recommend the optional LPS for the DAC/analog portion of the s88.
Hi Kal, the NADAC can be ordered as a 2 or 8 channel player which actually has Roon built in. It really does not get more easy than that!

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I am curious @roundhead what your application will be for the multichannel ?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Thanks. Sorry I was unclear in my question. Was just curious what you are outputting multi channels to?

roundhead

Oct 31, 2018
Hi Kal, the NADAC can be ordered as a 2 or 8 channel player which actually has Roon built in. It really does not get more easy than that!

It is easy but the price is now in region of £14,000 and that is a lot of money for many.

roundhead

Oct 31, 2018
Thanks. Sorry I was unclear in my question. Was just curious what you are outputting multi channels to?

Ah, I see what you mean. No problem. Yes, outputting to Beolab 90s front left and right and Beolab 3 speakers as the surrounds. Very best.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing