Jeffrey Jackson of Experience Music - an apology

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’m a bit guilty of one of the things I’m highly critical of others doing, namely being a bit free and easy w criticism online, esp when unfounded, even to the point of potentially damaging reputation, sales etc.
So, some years back as I was contemplating our move to the chapel where I’d have a spectacular space ideal for large horns, I came across Wheel Fi Horns founded by Jeffrey Jackson and the now famous video showing Old School craftsmanship in the modern world.
I had some contact, but it didn’t lead to anything, indeed I informed him I was maybe going to stay w my current choice, and was looking at more affordable horns.
I remember the contact recently as being non productive, and maybe some emails got lost in the Aether.
On the thread of big horns recently on WBF, Walnut Horns fwded me Jeffrey’s email, and contact has established my memory of this period as being v poor, and my criticisms being inaccurate, and bang out of order.
So I’d like to take this chance to just apologise for getting this so badly wrong.
It’s brought into sharp relief how words can be cheap, but have pricey consequences.
I say this because Wheel Fi are no more in the original form, indeed Jeffrey is working more on his own.
And I’d hate to think my ill chosen words contributed even a little bit to this.
Moral of this story? Maybe scrap more posts than sending them.

Reactions: Fred Crane

bach_king

Mar 10, 2018
Northampton , England
Well Done that Man

I’m a bit guilty of one of the things I’m highly critical of others doing, namely being a bit free and easy w criticism online, esp when unfounded, even to the point of potentially damaging reputation, sales etc.
So, some years back as I was contemplating our move to the chapel where I’d have a spectacular space ideal for large horns, I came across Wheel Fi Horns founded by Jeffrey Jackson and the now famous video showing Old School craftsmanship in the modern world.
I had some contact, but it didn’t lead to anything, indeed I informed him I was maybe going to stay w my current choice, and was looking at more affordable horns.
I remember the contact recently as being non productive, and maybe some emails got lost in the Aether.
On the thread of big horns recently on WBF, Walnut Horns fwded me Jeffrey’s email, and contact has established my memory of this period as being v poor, and my criticisms being inaccurate, and bang out of order.
So I’d like to take this chance to just apologise for getting this so badly wrong.
It’s brought into sharp relief how words can be cheap, but have pricey consequences.
I say this because Wheel Fi are no more in the original form, indeed Jeffrey is working more on his own.
And I’d hate to think my ill chosen words contributed even a little bit to this.
Moral of this story? Maybe scrap more posts than sending them.

We all get it wrong sometimes but it is brave to openly admit it

(From one who has made a few mistakes!)

All the best

David

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, I try to pride myself on not casting aspersions and jumping to wrong conclusions.
And online, words can have unintended consequences.
I will only have added to negativity tangentially.
But I’d rather hold up my hand.
To Jeffrey’s credit, he hasn’t blown me out and would still like me to consider a horn project w him.
However this turns out, I’ll select my words more carefully in future ahead of pressing “send”.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
A stand up gesture of a gentleman.
We all probably are guilty from one time or another.
Well done Bravo!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, I’ve been back in contact w Jefferey. But I feel I let myself down as much as anyone. Online, it really is too easy to be clumsy, inaccurate and undiplomatic.

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
Well done!

it is not easy to admit being in the vicinity of being even the slightest bit wrong, so this is very nice to read.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The issue was part me getting my info wrong, and part broadcasting online inaccurate info. I always been scathing about others being idiots online on social media, it was quite the experience to ignore it in myself.
The good news is Jefferey is in good spirits involved in many bespoke projects for clients.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It takes a man of ethos and cojones to come out and apologize like you have! Humility is a great thing.

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
It takes a man of ethos and cojones to come out and apologize like you have! Humility is a great thing.

Indeed . mark of character too ( no pun intended )

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’ll certainly think twice in future before dissing any gear or brand publicly. It’s SO easy to do this.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I’ll certainly think twice in future before dissing any gear or brand publicly. It’s SO easy to do this.

It becomes complicated when discussing different typologies - turntable drive types, for instance - and then denigrating one, with specific brands mentioned, all in the name of personal preference. This happens all the time in an effort to pump up and market one's favorite, new, latest, current gear. Criticizing specific competitors, even if direct comparisons were never made, but just based on a hunch, or drawing conclusions by hearing components in vastly different contexts, is common practice.

I applaud your efforts to come clean Marc, but what you did is done all the time and people don't even seem to be aware of it. OR they are and they do it on purpose. Think of the insults hurled at Magico and "sterile" JV. The internet is a very strange place.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, I only opened this thread because in recent email contact w Jefferey, he specifically highlighted how I’d fouled up, and felt (justifiably) a little hard done by. It then occurred to me I indeed had got things wrong.
I’m not making too much of a point otherwise, just felt a retraction was in order. But I have got into the habit of being a bit free and easy w my criticisms of individuals and brands, and I’m now more minded to either not post, or be more selective in my words.

bgupton

Sep 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Peter, I only opened this thread because in recent email contact w Jefferey, he specifically highlighted how I’d fouled up, and felt (justifiably) a little hard done by. It then occurred to me I indeed had got things wrong.
I’m not making too much of a point otherwise, just felt a retraction was in order. But I have got into the habit of being a bit free and easy w my criticisms of individuals and brands, and I’m now more minded to either not post, or be more selective in my words.

Kudos to you! I've had nothing but positive interactions with Jeffrey. We've never met, but we have become kinda email pen-pals over our shared interest in bands. He's forgotten more about audio than I've ever known and he's super down-to-earth and never ever salesy. He's been very helpful with me on designing a very modestly priced system until I'm settled longterm in Colombia, too. I will definitly have some Jeffrey horns and amps one day... maybe soon.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I applaud your efforts to come clean Marc, but what you did is done all the time and people don't even seem to be aware of it. OR they are and they do it on purpose.

True.

Think of the insults hurled at Magico and "sterile" JV. The internet is a very strange place.

Oh yes, and Spectral. And everything NOT horns or SETs. I could go on...

I usually don't disparage entire brands.

Also, system context is everything.

Also, people get impressions from shows. If it sounds good, great. If it sounds bad or mediocre, it means nothing. The bad sound can have all kinds of reasons unrelated to the individual components. People forget that.

People think Magico speakers are not dynamic, and claim to being entitled to that opinion because they have heard Magico on 20 different occasions? Well, then they have heard them 20 times not properly set-up and/or with sub-optimal electronics driving them. It means nothing.

(Recently I have heard that just a slight change in set-up of a Magico speaker can make a day-and-night difference, so the chances that a set-up is off when the sound is not great are pretty high, IMO.)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The internet indeed is a very weird place. Fake News is in no way a new phenomenon.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I am fortunate to own Jeffrey's gear (pictured on his website). Lovely, unique person. We rarely discuss gear; it's all about music.

Like so many have discovered, as I 'mature', there is increasing ease in using the phrases:
1. I apologize (or I'm sorry)
2. I don't know

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing