Giant Custom Horn Systems - How they sound and issues with sonics

I definitely dream of one day building the ultimate system and room. I see what some of these crazy guys do with truly giant custom horn installations and they make me drool, but (like most of us) I've never had an opportunity to hear one of these crazy systems (see pics).

But I'm guessing at least a few of you have and others probably possess some theoretical engineering knowledge around the issues these giant horn systems might create, but I've never seen a thread that discusses the sonic pro's and con's of these systems.

Would love to hear some thoughts (even if it is just some pontificating on theory) regarding these types of installations. Let's discuss.

Hi Johan,
That's (high) "top" .... (& very higher).
Congrats ... Hoedje af.
Karel.

(I lost more Horn DIM picture by double Mac-crash)

Thanks for joining and posting your hornsystems Swen, Karel, jdza and anyone I missed! :)

Very inspirational!

Thanks for joining and posting your hornsystems Swen, Karel, jdza and anyone I missed! :)

Very inspirational!
... a endlessly history ..... addicts to (full) "horn" concept ....
Welcome in the horn-paradise-club .... first row seat ....
Karel

I've seen this Horn already many times but still I don't understand the expo curve of it:confused:

Sven,
It's (very) easy.
Take the basic Iwata curve (experimental ... no formula ... etc).
Redesign (scale 1/1) the mean exp.-section in function your multiplis-pannel (18mm or higher)
Cut all panels ...
Etc.
Allez, salukes.
Karel
Btw, I can give you a practical seminar ....

Very inspirational!

Yes, it is fascinating; it makes us feel better . . . grounded. The music passion.
Beautiful designs, by artists. Thank you for sharing from across the Atlantic.

20180410_092836.jpg
This is the apotheosis ^ just gorgeous.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune
I've seen this Horn already many times but still I don't understand the expo curve of it:confused:

The Iwata as published in l'Audiophile all those years ago remains the most natural sounding horn I have ever encountered. Build it from a combo of ply and solid wood,hold it to your ear and listen. Then give it to your wife(provided she is a competitive swimmer- even the midhorn is mega heavy) and let her talk through it. All colouration you will hear is a slight addition of air-not a bad thing in general.

I have posted this elsewhere but I have to ask to please listen on headphones. It was recorded ambisonically and will sound like absolute rubbish on speakers. Also bear in mind it has been compressed and not only i-phonized but you- tubefied as well

This morning I saw magic, and I heard a glimpse of musical magic in an audio forum from a homemade YouTube music video.

Awesome post, very elegant horns in a pleasant room decor; simple without distraction. I like the color tones too.

Many thanks ;) I was happy in this room

for a few years. Now it's time for a little upgrade.

Attachments

• 3736D663-1052-4E52-B183-ADB92F6FC04C.jpg
    3736D663-1052-4E52-B183-ADB92F6FC04C.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 9DD14B52-E04F-4F2F-930C-421322742FD5.jpg
    9DD14B52-E04F-4F2F-930C-421322742FD5.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 183
Wow Karel, that looks like many hours of sawing and glueing. I guess, you started by laminating the overall horn profile and later added the small pieces of thicker ply for structural integrity (against resonances)?
Do you also have images from the construction of the smaller horns?
Hi,
Yes, you start with:
1°) glue inner double layer 2x3mm triplex
2°) glue center layer 18mm multilayer
3°) glue (one) outer layer 1x3mm triplex
4°) glue side flare 1x3mm triplex
5°) glue side center lath-work layer 18mm with screws
6°) glue final outer layer 3mm triplex (waf-factor)

About the "resonances" ...
yes, every horn, genre WE15/WE66A/Sato ..... & other, are subject to resonances.
In my "home" configuration (& other horn heavy addicts) .... it's not a issue (only a little with "heavy metal music" .... but no problem @ home)
About the other images smaller horns ... I search in my Mac (after two HD-disk crashes) ...
In the mean time see Johan's his duo Iwata concept in slices .... completely "amorph" ... easy to build & efficient ....

Some "amuse bouche":
Full 5 way horn EVPATRICIAN.jpg
Full 5 way horn Iwata.jpg
Full 5 way horn.jpg
WE66A Brut.jpg

Jdza : I know the Iwata. I have still one Pair here. I was talking about the expo curve of the Basshorn.

Best Regards Swen

Jdza : I know the Iwata. I have still one Pair here. I was talking about the expo curve of the Basshorn.

Best Regards Swen

Hypex Q 0.707 f 21 Hz . Roof slopes at 5 degrees to avoid standing waves . Apart from this but taking it into account the flare is mainly in the horizontal plane. Uneq response curve elsewhere on this forum. Throat and mouthsizes. i cannot recall

Thanks for you answer. So this one is yours. Seen it already a few times. Good job. Thumbs up

The moment I saw an Iwata horn, many years ago, it felt like........ .... .. first sight :)

jdza, Thank you for the link to your flicker account. You have uploaded some pages from L'Audiophile magazine, if Iam not mistaken?

Karel, Stunning work! Chapeau! Thanks for posting the images and your comments on the construction.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing