Y-12 Morion

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
This 20 gram big boy is the entry level variant in Sensitive Sound's mid-tier lomc: Y-12 /Y-12S.
IMG_20180318_142143346~2.jpg

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Since there was a recent cornering of the market on NOS SME 3012R tonearms here on WBF these Y-12(S) and T-8 carts are just the ticket!

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Why there are 4 T8 with same price around 8.000 usd?
Which are the difference in sound of these 4 cartridges with same price and very similar weight and output?

Thanks

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Hi Gian,

There are a lot of models it's true. As a distributor it certainly adds a challenge. In some ways you should focus on the top version of each model series, although I like the Morion presented here because the price ($3,500) is quite reachable. In some instances a system optimized already for ultra-low output carts might also choose lower output. A few comments:

There are three fundamental architectures; the Splash/ART, the Y-12/Y-12S and the T-8.

Each step up in a given design usually comes with higher output and subtle changes in metallurgy in the motor; Roman Lebedev is quite focused on metallurgy to achieve his ideal sound across his designs and he doesn't talk about all the secret details. You notice the mention of Meteoritic iron on the website for the Voices M? The lower cost ART, for example, has three versions. The least costly uses MuMetal for the core, the middle Permalloy and the top Permendur. AS you go higher up Roman has more guarded choices :) . Mostly the MicroHD stylus shape is used but also the 0.3x0.7 line contact on some.

The Sensitive Sound 'sound' is in my experience quite consistent across these seemingly diverse designs; very wide bandwidth with excellent true low bass weight. Midrange presentation is deep, not as pushed forward as some, really nice sense of space very natural.

Thanks for asking :)

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
The new owner of the Y-12 mentioned above sent me a few comments now the cart has a little time on it:

"... it has settled in greatly, and the sound is fantastic. The Y-12 seems to be able to produce deeper lower end notes than any I have heard, but it’s not overbearing, it just seems to go to lower octaves than most others. The ability of the Y-12 to produce vocals, female and male, is also very pleasing. Holly Cole, Nat King Cole, Harry Belafonte, Led Zeppelin, Miles, Monk, no matter what I throw at it, it just seems to extract the music from the Lp’s. Yet it is still very quiet and sensitive on stuff like the Cowboy Junkies, Allison Krauss, Rickie Lee and Chris Whitley’s solo LP. A very good mate for the Audio Origami tone arm (finally). All and all, love it…"

This lowest octave performance is one of the really neat attributes of Sensitive Sound.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
BTW offering Sensitive Sound Y-12/Y-12S and T-8 with Groovemaster 2 Ti tonearm as a bundle....hit me up for details...

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Looks similar to the long standing and wonderful sounding Dyavector XV-1 series

DrTXV-1s_crp_sm.jpg

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Yes, there definitely is a resemblance; however at 20-22g the Y-12 is much heavier. Best with a high mass arm, hence the offer with the groovemaster.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing