Review: Whisky and Listening – Vertere SG-1 turntable, SME-V tonearm, and Koetsu Onyx Platinum

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2018...table-sme-v-tonearm-and-koetsu-onyx-platinum/

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
That and a little ganja are great for those blind listening tests.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Drinking and spinning is fine, mighty fine when in moderation.

Analog audio reviews are becoming more . . . moderated, and perfected, with quality reviewers and beverages. :b

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’ve had one too many accidents w analog to trust myself to listening while sipping a drop of the hard stuff.
There’s no joy at all to clip an air bearing linear tracker after imbibing.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I’ve had one too many accidents w analog to trust myself to listening while sipping a drop of the hard stuff.
There’s no joy at all to clip an air bearing linear tracker after imbibing.
Second tonearm maybe

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016
One of the best listening experiences I ever had was with the Vertere Reference table and reference arm.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Alcohol has a direct effect on hearing which is detrimental both short term and long term

Drinking significant quantities of alcohol is not consistent with critical listening acuity, though it may be enjoyable

I would not suggest making tuning changes to your system while drinking significant quantities of alcohol

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
What did you say...Buzz kill!
Alcohol has a direct effect on hearing which is detrimental both short term and long term

Drinking significant quantities of alcohol is not consistent with critical listening acuity, though it may be enjoyable

I would not suggest making tuning changes to your system while drinking significant quantities of alcohol

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
It would be interesting to know explicitly who drinks and uses while listening to evaluate their posts. There was at least one famous, influential audio critic who was a flaming alkie.
When he was on his death bed in the hospital, a guy on Audio Asylum years ago bragged about sneaking him a fifth against doctor's orders. The critic was dead shortly after.

It just adds another variable to "subjective".

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So we need a sober not sober disclaimer ;) on all reviews.

Surely - the only unbiased opinions and reviews are from non sober people! :cool:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, music really is my drug of choice.
V occasionally music and caffeine.
I have no desire to drink and listen.
Drinking and driving is bad enough LOL.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing