How Much Workspace Behind Racks?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hi Tang

I needed 10 metre cables to make the necessary changes, so you are right it’s is expensive. However in te context of a system which may have cost many thousands of pounds it may be a small price to pay. Unless you use very exotic cables in which case it may be a non starter. Regarding your comment about RFI, in my experience that is more important with interconnects particulaly those around the record deck. I borrowed a set of long LS cables from a friendly local dealers to test the theory and bodged a mains supply enough to check it out. It is certainly not easy to do but it is very worthwhile.

Good luck whatever you decide

Kind regards

David

Hi David, just a short read for your/anyone consideration:
? http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/audio-faqs/short-versus-long-cables

bach_king

Mar 10, 2018
Northampton , England

Hi Northstar

Thanks for pointing me towards the article. Very interesting if somewhat above my technical understanding. However if I am reading it correctly it supports my view that length of speaker cables in normal system applications has less impact on sound quality than interconnect cables which certainly borne out by my own findings.

Thanks again for your welcome input.

Kind regards

David:cool:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Do you tweak early and often? Cable demos, tube rolling, power cords, etc. Or do you know exactly what you like and don't intend to stray from It? Being able to walk behind the rack is a supreme luxury for tinkerers and if space permits, one that I would certainly indulge. Space doesn't permit in my case, so instead, I built a rack with pull out shelves at every level, each having a 250 pound capacity. I have found this to be nearly as convenient.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing