How Much Workspace Behind Racks?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It often is difficult to blindly reach to the back panel of equipment and plug things in and throw switches and so on.

How many inches of space do you have between your rack and the wall behind the rack?

Do you leave enough space literally to walk behind the racks to access the back panels of equipment very easily?

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
It often is difficult to blindly reach to the back panel of equipment and plug things in and throw switches and so on.

How many inches of space do you have between your rack and the wall behind the rack?

Do you leave enough space literally to walk behind the racks to access the back panels of equipment very easily?

Short answer is the cliche “the more ..the merrier” especially if you expect to swap out components ...test cables ... change inputs... then ease of access is a distinct enabler

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Over the years I have learned.....leave at LEAST 12" between the back of each component and the wall. Keep in mind, this is a bare minimum with unusual and sometimes extreme contortion of the body. Not recommended.

Tom

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

depends on so many things. mostly size of your room, and where your gear is relative to your amps and speakers. then next there is length of your power cords and where the outlets are. if your outlets are behind your gear will the power cords need to be suspended across or on the floor. so it's really a planning question. if your phono pre has adjustments on the rear of your gear, or if you will be moving cables around regularly, then more space is critical. if you expect to be a set and forget type then less space is needed as it will be very occasional.

I cannot walk behind my racks as I have too much stuff. but I have about 12" from rack to wall.

then how anal are you on how things look, hiding cables and power cords, etc. etc.

if you leave a large space where everything is seen then it will have a bit of a cluttered industrial look. are your racks see through, or heavy and furniture looking and blocking seeing all the cables?

so picture in your mind the end look you are seeking. or just let it happen.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Yes, 32 inches, almost three feet.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Having installed racks for a living, you find away to be able to get behind them.
I don't play the reach around game anymore. :eek:
So if its close to a wall it has to rotate or pull out somehow.
If you have some form of mass load rack or something to heavy to move, leave it out far enough to get behind it with a flash light.
So yes, literally far enough to walk behind.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Apparently, not enough. Then again, the wall does help support keeping the power cords plugged in. Also, I need to dust back there. :)

45BB8AED-DA07-4C25-9145-0637648E05A1.jpg

44227EFE-EDBC-4588-8960-73070CEB47E6.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I just measured; I got 22 inches...easily a walk-in.
I always had plenty of room behind my audio racks.
If I can walk around my loudspeakers, and I do, I also walk around my audio racks.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
45” mostly for me. Equipment off to side.

Attachments

• E917F5EC-0F43-4AED-AEFC-F27585E6B57A.jpg
    E917F5EC-0F43-4AED-AEFC-F27585E6B57A.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 369
  • CF56E0DE-C51C-4F6F-90BE-DFE695323AC4.jpg
    CF56E0DE-C51C-4F6F-90BE-DFE695323AC4.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 363

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
As others have said, it depends on the size of the room and the amount of gear you have. Gear is not an issue for me as my system is straightforward and positioned on one rack (TT/IA/CDP). Room size is another matter at only 16' deep, so I have about 18" of space between the rack and the wall. Not enough for me to walk or stand behind, but enough to have easy access to components & cables.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, gentlemen, for your replies.

I used the use the mirror trick to see from the front of the equipment right-side up connector labels on the back panels. But I would prefer to be able to walk behind the racks. (I do not plan ever to move things around, but I suspect Kedar will visit at some point to carpet bomb the equipment with Mooks.)

I have to figure out the minimum amount of space I will need to be able to walk behind the racks.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I recently did a direct comparison between two preamps. I rotated the each 90 degrees on my rack so that their back plates were pointed out the side of the rack. It my system were not in my formal living room, I would seriously consider this permanently. It was so much easier to deal with connections. I think the ideal set up would be to have the rack against a wall that has sound proof doors so that the back of the rack could be accessed from another room. If I were designing a space from scratch, this would be a consideration.

My current rack is way to close to the wall, about 9". It is a simple system with few components, but cable swaps are really difficult. One of the things I often think about is how to remove gear from my listening room and still have it be able to function. The latest idea is to move my amps to the basement beneath my speakers and some rack components on the other side of a wall. It takes lots of planning and is quite a difficult problem to solve. I'm not one of those guys who has to see the gear.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Gian, well that looks like enough space to walk behind.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I can just reach around. I need to rotate the picture. I usually don’t attach photos.

Attachments

• 69B35C03-E68F-45DD-A16F-0E773F3854CE.jpg
    69B35C03-E68F-45DD-A16F-0E773F3854CE.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 192

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Ron, since most of my PC's are 6 and 8 feet, I have a 30 inch space. I would never have any less...nothing worse than tight britches.:D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I was @ 28.5 inches prior to 22. I lost weight so it allowed me to find a new minimum...I first set it @ 24 inches, but I found out that with my new body I could get away with 22 inches. :b

So the size of the listener is an integral part of this equation, and the age too as we don't bend as good as we age...in general. But I know friends who are in their mid seventies and they can bend graciously.

Do you guys hire cleaning ladies in your audiophile rooms?

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
After a rough measurement I should be able to walk carefully behind the future row of racks with 15” of space between the back of the racks and the wall.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing