How Much Workspace Behind Racks?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
8’ behind my gear, all components to be 5” off the floor.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Not everybody has the luxury of a 45 foot long listening room! :D

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That’s true Ron, it’s the freedom to have the spkrs totally free of boundaries that is the real bonus here.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey ByrdP, it’s all give and take in life.
Would I take yr AF3 and Top Wind Red cart? And give you my bigger space?
Hmm...

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
50 cm approx here which is around 20 inches, right?
Not enough to walk but enough to change cables for auditions for example.
More space behind speakers though.

PS I envy Marc the space he has in the chapel;)

Attachments

• 23E4D2B1-A295-46F9-8EAC-CCE1CF25AA7B.jpg
    23E4D2B1-A295-46F9-8EAC-CCE1CF25AA7B.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marslo, my Zus have never been champions of soundstaging or stage depth.
But being able to move them 9’ from front walls and 4’ from side walls, has together w naturally improved acoustics here, unlocked a lot of potential.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
24". When I had my new projection screen installed, I had the installers, much stronger and younger than me, move all the racks out, so it is very easy for me to walk behind and change anything I want. Fortunately the room is 26' long.

Larry

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
24". When I had my new projection screen installed, I had the installers, much stronger and younger than me, move all the racks out, so it is very easy for me to walk behind and change anything I want. Fortunately the room is 26' long.

Larry

A long time ago I calculated what was for me a comfortable space behind my audio racks to play there and move quite freely. @ the time my room was twenty-six feet long. 24 inches was the space I ended up with.
I'm six feet two hundred pounds, I can move easily. If I was larger I'd go with 36 inches. My room today is 29' by 16' by 11'.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
You guys must spend a lot of time messing with your gear. I upgraded my preamp, IC cables, and speaker cables the beginning of the year, and that was the first time in ages I needed to access behind the rack.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
You guys must spend a lot of time messing with your gear. I upgraded my preamp, IC cables, and speaker cables the beginning of the year, and that was the first time in ages I needed to access behind the rack.

So, the space between the back of your audio rack and the wall behind it is ... 6 inches? It looks fine to me; you can access the rear of your components from both sides. I like your power cables, the clean organisation, everything.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
I'm in the same boat as you, my friend. In fact, my stuff is so crammed up it almost feels like I'm literally on a boat lol.

i just ordered two new TAOC(japan) racks... to replace my Solid tech reference... may be it will be more comfortable to change cabals and doing things a little tidier.
im tired for that X pattern "shelfs" and rambling around racks.. i want solid shelfs and steady heavy racks for my equipment. it will be nicer on back also i guess.

sleepysurf

Sep 8, 2010
I use an inexpensive rack with casters! Easy to pull back from wall and rotate for access!

bach_king

Mar 10, 2018
Northampton , England
This is a really important consideration which Ron has raised not simply because of the obvious need to access the rear of the equipment but also because it impacts the performance of the system. The closer to wall you place equipment the heavier are the standing waves to which it will be subjected. These can have a very deleterious effect of hi-fi equipment which is microphonic. Also important is where you place the kit relative to loudspeakers.

I did some experiments which astounded me. I measured the SPL’s at 10hz intervals from 30Hz to 300Hz which is the most important region for standing waves. I used a signal generator and played it through my system at a constant level which would be sufficient to really excite air inthe room.

Most of us place our equipment between the loudspeakers in the middle and often quite close to the back wall. This is actually the worst possible place it could be. In my room I had standing wave peaks of up to +18db, relative to the mean sound level, which is horrendous and certainly enough to scramble the performance of record decks or CD players. I was astonished at the improvement I got when I relocated the kit to the middle of the side wall. It was a night and day improvement. It meant having long speaker cables (10m) but it was a really effective upgrade. I published an article on Jeff Place an audiophile site run by a gentleman called Jeff Day i the US. ‘How to Get Better Sound FRom Tannoy Westminster Royals’ which you might find interesting. (If you are interested google David King and Tannoy Westminster Royal and you should find it)

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

All the best

David

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi David, good points.
Luckily my spkrs are 9’ from front wall, which means the gear btwn my spkrs is a similar distance.
I have considered toying w leaving monos there and my sources/pre to side wall, or even the whole lot.
It would just mean extra expense on longer interconnects pre>monos or longer spkr cbls.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
This is a really important consideration which Ron has raised not simply because of the obvious need to access the rear of the equipment but also because it impacts the performance of the system. The closer to wall you place equipment the heavier are the standing waves to which it will be subjected. These can have a very deleterious effect of hi-fi equipment which is microphonic. Also important is where you place the kit relative to loudspeakers.

I did some experiments which astounded me. I measured the SPL’s at 10hz intervals from 30Hz to 300Hz which is the most important region for standing waves. I used a signal generator and played it through my system at a constant level which would be sufficient to really excite air inthe room.

Most of us place our equipment between the loudspeakers in the middle and often quite close to the back wall. This is actually the worst possible place it could be. In my room I had standing wave peaks of up to +18db, relative to the mean sound level, which is horrendous and certainly enough to scramble the performance of record decks or CD players. I was astonished at the improvement I got when I relocated the kit to the middle of the side wall. It was a night and day improvement. It meant having long speaker cables (10m) but it was a really effective upgrade. I published an article on Jeff Place an audiophile site run by a gentleman called Jeff Day i the US. ‘How to Get Better Sound FRom Tannoy Westminster Royals’ which you might find interesting. (If you are interested google David King and Tannoy Westminster Royal and you should find it)

All the best

David

I'm with you on that, 100%

http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=5654&cpage=1

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

All the best

David

I agree that placing front-end and pre-amplification equipment between the speakers is very sub-optimal!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing