Atlas and Atlas Sl with Erodion Evo Lyra sut

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Today Italian distributor of Lyra borrow to me the new Lyra SUT Erodion Evo

This evening and tomorrow morning will test my friend with Atlas and CH P1 and tomorrow afternoon and next days i will try with Atlas SL and P1
Is new,could be need break in but i will post first impression and photo.

For my experience and experience of my 3 friends with more than 20 cartridges,we think cartridges are always better with their SUT,so we try

Regards

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Gian, I'm a little surprised that you think cartridges are always better with an SUT....that has not been my experience. I always hear the slight veiling and loss of information that all of the SUT's that I have heard elicit. Compared to a great tube phono preamp, SUT's are a second choice, IME. OTOH, if the cartridge is an ultra low output model, then the SUT may be a necessary evil..:D

However, since the Lyra's all have healthy output, I would suggest trying one with a great tube phono stage and then seeing what you prefer. Loading options with the cartridge also makes a pretty large difference, so playing with that can also be worth while.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
To be honest,i always had ANJ,Audio tekne,Kondo,Shindo,Dyssanayake,Yamamura,so best phono input was mainly MM so need SUT,but my friend with Allnic,ARC,prefer with SUT.
Could be with top tube phono amp is better without.
We are testing with CH P1,so we see.
I can use Atlas sl changing all impedance with P1 and in current mode that can be the best with SL that has 1.5 impedance ,and tomorrow will try with SUT.
We see,could be increase dynamic and will have loss of information adding trans and cable
Regards

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
To be honest,i always had ANJ,Audio tekne,Kondo,Shindo,Dyssanayake,Yamamura,so best phono input was mainly MM so need SUT,but my friend with Allnic,ARC,prefer with SUT.
Could be with top tube phono amp is better without.
We are testing with CH P1,so we see.
I can use Atlas sl changing all impedance with P1 and in current mode that can be the best with SL that has 1.5 impedance ,and tomorrow will try with SUT.
We see,could be increase dynamic and will have loss of information adding trans and cable
Regards

Gian, not sure that CH P1 is the best way to go?? Do you have access to a good tube phono stage... Lamm, CAT, ARC, Allnic,etc., If your friend was using one of the ultra low output cartridges with his Allnic, ARC etc, it would make sense that he would prefer with an SUT. That's not what i would expect with a cartridge that has 'decent' output, ala the Lyra's etc.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Atlas sl with his low impedance is a perfect match with P1 in current.
I am curious to try Erodion sut

I listen music with tube since 1978 to 2016 with top ARC,Hal amp,Jadis,Radford,MC Intosh,Quad,Leak,Rogers,CAT,Yamamura,Audiotekne,ANJ,Kondo,Shindo,Mactone,Fal,Dyssanayake,and now i am very very happy with all CH system
That is also a perfect match,for me,with my speaker.

I would like to have a second system with SET,tube i prefer is 2A3,but i never come back to tube changing my CH

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Let us know what you think of the new Lyra sut Gian60.

I really like the sound of good step-up transformers. To me they add muscularity and power, and force to music when it is needed. To my ears it has better scale and the ability to sound bigger than the solid state units I had used years ago. I am listening to a Kondo right now.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
personally, when i got my CH P1, i stopped to think about SUT and such.
the only thing i will try once in a while is to see if any cartridges i bring in- will benefits with my EAR 912 integrate tube phono stage (although it based on mc step-ups so its a cool trial).
but from experience with 5-10 cart's by now, the CH P1 was always on top of thing in my book, and IMHO will generate more sound from any of them (current or voltage inputs) but its a given... due to all fact between them i think.
the EAR 912 phono stage is a superb one! and i am very happy with how its sound anyway and versatility!!! if i didnt had the CH P1 i will be happy with it too.
in the end i will use both of his inputs when all my 5 arms will be mounted and ready to play... so, i will need to try most combination, to determine which two will end up plug in to it.

Gian, your trial with the LYRA sut vs the P1 is most interesting!

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I listen 2 days Atlas sl with Erodion
Sorry but my English is very poor so i am no good to explain the sound like you or Tang,but i try.

Atlas has 20 hours and Erodion with his cable is new so need breakin,but i like a lot
With my P1 with X1 i never think SUT because we have in current and voltage all the possibilities and very good sound.
With Opus 1,SPU A 95 and Coralstone Diamond the sound for my taste seems perfect,dense,transparent,fast,dynamic natural with P1.

When i put Atlas sl i found sound mid high fantastic,bass deep but little light on mid bass and flat stage so my friend since 35 years Lyra Italian distributor borrow to me the new Erodion Evo to try
With Erodion the high are very very little less transparent but has more weight,more dynamic and more fast.
Bass is similar and the stage is much more deep.
There is more specs between instruments
Really this combo is fantastic
Also my friend with Atlas P1 prefer with Erodion and he buys this
I will buy in future
I suggest to try if one can find

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
I use the earlier, Red, Erodion with my Atlas and Ypsilon phono stage. I prefer it to the Atlas through the Ypsilon MC20. The Red Lyra sut seems to be well optimized for the Atlas high output, it does not suit my other carts so well.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Hi Gian
I am close to completing 2 years with a black Lyra Erodion mated to an Etna SL. TBH the combo of the Lyra Erodion and a Lyra SL cart is truly special and spectacular , YMMV. In my not so humble opinion :), there is no better match on this planet for a Lyra SL cart !!
Looking forward to your impressions of the Erodion based on longer term usage
Pradeep

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Gian
I am close to completing 2 years with a black Lyra Erodion mated to an Etna SL. TBH the combo of the Lyra Erodion and a Lyra SL cart is truly special and spectacular , YMMV. In my not so humble opinion :), there is no better match on this planet for a Lyra SL cart !!
Looking forward to your impressions of the Erodion based on longer term usage
Pradeep

Dear Pradeep,

What’s the gain on your Nagra phono that you use with the Erodion?

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
My tonearm guy just gave me this stepup to try with Atlas SL/EMT phono.

The name of this stepup is “Syntax.” Yes, that Syntax you may think of. Because he is the reason it was made.

1D985595-92E1-40B7-B36B-CB6C4A79DE26.jpg
9A9C132D-1CD6-426D-9AEB-BCEB50524398.jpg

Regards,
Tang

Attachments

• 326D5FBF-5DDA-4D9E-A7E9-CB8A641E96E0.jpg
    326D5FBF-5DDA-4D9E-A7E9-CB8A641E96E0.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 133

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Dear Pradeep,

What’s the gain on your Nagra phono that you use with the Erodion?

Kind regards,
Tang
Hi Tang
The gain on the Nagra VPS is 34db. An additional 15db is available that I never use with the SS gain stage. All this works beautifully coz the CJ GAT pre has 26 dB gain
Best
Pradeep

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Hmm. I wonder the turn ratio of that SUT. Knowing Syntax likes Koetsus I would think it is somewhere around 1:20.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing