Russell Solomon, Tower Rec. Founder Obituary. Excellent. Timeline parallel rise & fall of High End?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Outstanding obituary on Russell Solomon, an extremely talented entrepreneur and founder of Tower Records. Of course, Tower records was swept away by changing societal habits in music consumption and digital transformation of the music industry. As music/ CD sales dropped, the economic value migrated elsewhere; concert ticket prices exploded simultaneously. And it is very difficult to see both the forest and the trees when you are in a storm.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/05/obituaries/russell-solomon-founder-of-tower-records-dies-at-92.html

Anyone notice any patterns that are similar to our hobby?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
God, I loved Tower Records. I went regularly when I lived in LA from 74-79, especially late at night. It wasn't just about the music, it was a genuine scene and I mean every night. Straight music lovers, weirdos, and everything in between. Everyone had music knowledge to impart. The guy standing next to you was often encyclopedic in knowledge and depending on the bin you were browsing, in all genres. When I moved back east in 79, I got a similar vibe but never to the same depth at Tower in Philly and NY. But LA Tower? Wow, that was something.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I knew Russel's secretary and I told her to please have the boss put a store in Reno and he did. That was one dream come true for me. When Tower closed...what a sad day. A end of a wonderful era to be sure.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Being in the Bay Area since the late '60's we were the first to benefit from Russ's expansion out of Sacramento. The biggest stores were in SF, at the corner of Bay and Columbus - you often had to wait to get a parking space in the big lot in front of the store. Berkeley was next, with a big store just off Telegraph Avenue (on Durant) only a block from the UCB campus main entrance. It was quite amazing that Tower opened a second store on Telegraph Avenue, about four blocks down the street, just for classical music!! Each big store had a special room for classical music, sonically sealed off from the rest of the store, so they could play classical music without the interference from the rock and other music playing in the main part of the store. I got to know the manager of the classical department in the Tower store in Concord, CA, easily to park than Berkeley. Another giant store. He told me that the goal was to have for sale copies of every record issued that they could legally obtain. For classical, it meant the first imports of EMI records, not just their Angel domestic counterparts. No British Deccas, since the licensing agreements only allowed the London label versions. I shopped in the Berkeley and SF stores for about a decade (from the late '60's) until the Concord store opened in the late '70's. I'm sure I was tithing to Tower, much more satisfying than traditional tithing.

When we started travelling significantly, I started noticing giant Tower record stores opening up in most of the major cities we visited, from NYC to Boston, London, etc. The NYT story gives a good clue to Russ's problems. He saw the success of his stores and expanded too fast, all with borrowed capital. This meant he kept all the profits, but also took all of the risk. By not going public, he didn't have to share anything with outside investors, but also did not have the advantage of the capital they would provide with no interest cost. The banks, who had no equity in Tower, were not forgiving or very flexible when times got tough. So it left him with almost no wiggle room when the banks turned off the spigots. Expanding fast into major markets, also meant he started facing competition from large companies, which could afford to set up megastores, like HMV, not just the mom and pop stores which were his main competition in Sacramento and the Bay Area.

I'm not sure that Tower could have survived in this time of on-line, digital and streaming music and so much easy free music. If they had gone public, they might have been bought by a highly leveraged company themselves, and gone under that way. Keeping Tower private meant not only keeping all the profits, but also keeping the iconic nature of Tower and its unique culture. Something that I certainly miss.

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing