Line Magnetic audio horns - any experience? Field coil?

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
Dear all,

The more experience I have with speakers, the more I am convinced that the right speakers for me are horns, which offer high sensitivity, organic direct sound and openess. For me reference speakers are Living Voice Olympian and WE (which I have heard several times at Munich high end) but they are much above my budget. Therefore I have been looking around for alternatives and found Line Magnetic LM 3 as an interesting one. I have read reviews of LM gear and mostly they were positive. But I have not heard any of their speakers nor do I know where to listen to them - I tried to call their European distributor several times but it seems as their published number is disconnected. Therefore I would be grateful if you would share with me your thoughts and experience with LM speakers, specifically LM 3. They also have an option for field coil driver. What are generally speaking benefits and characteristics of field coil drivers? Do you think LM 3 offer a good basis for upgrading, like crossover components, additional hf drivers etc?

Many thanks for your feedback.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I have heard them on several occasions at a local dealer. They would not be accused of being full range, however very organic and natural sounding with a bit of flexibility based on how you fed the field coil with the type and voltage of the power supply.

I like them. I think Dudley did a review on them. Look for it in Stereophile.

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
Thank you. This is the number I have called several times. No luck.

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
I have heard them on several occasions at a local dealer. They would not be accused of being full range, however very organic and natural sounding with a bit of flexibility based on how you fed the field coil with the type and voltage of the power supply.

I like them. I think Dudley did a review on them. Look for it in Stereophile.

I have read the review. But as far as I remember Dudley reviewed smaller model, similar to altec, less to WE.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
LM3 Field coils are sweet and organic sounding, very musical speakers.

There is a pair up for sale on my Audiogon, Ebay and Facebook

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing