Allaerts alert

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
will be getting the Jan Allaerts. The 10,000 hours and cheap retip makes it a cart for life. It can do violin highs of Lyra without any etch or glare. It can do piano flow with attack on top and body on bottom. Vocals are outstanding, male and female. Other users I called, first thing that they said was tonal fluidity. It will work with horns and with apogee

The phono stage will affect the final sound a great deal, and of course the Mooks!! under the phono.

when are you bringing it up for a try out?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The phono stage will affect the final sound a great deal, and of course the Mooks!! under the phono.

when are you bringing it up for a try out?

Haha, will do.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Well congrats Ked

Your certainly starting from source first...ha ha in your system building

Put it on a decent head shell and be easy to carry around to other systems, and comparo

If you want to start small get a good little ss phono like rcm sensor, or second hand esoteric e03, then build from their, or pass labs xp15

Not so familiar with good tube phono, but i would probably get a mm only and good step up like the cinemag to start, there is a company here that make a great tube phono for about £1700 in your money .... I have no association with that company other than we pay taxes to the same government :)http://www.goldenageaudio.com.au/ga-reference-valve-phono-stage.html

Gemini

Oct 14, 2015
Germany
May i ask where you have bought the MC2 - directly from the manufacturer? And what are your impressions?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
May i ask where you have bought the MC2 - directly from the manufacturer? And what are your impressions?

I got the boron mk2 from audio arts. It is 0.65 output as opposed to 0.2 for the finish gold and the formula. Also the loading for it is 100 ohms and for the top two is 845. The top two (finish gold and formula) are extremely difficult on phonos, to the extent that you will find many forum reports on the gon of people strategizing their analog chain to fit the cartridge.

I was also advised that the boron mk2 can actually sound better because it has more drive, body, and that balance of tone and body. The top two try to add a beauty but lose out on the body. I was able to verify this in a compare of the boron mk2 and the finish gold.

I would advise not using it on valve phono stages as it can sound colored. All the above aside I found Fremer's review of the Allaerts to be spot on, except that I think with the boron mk2 you will get better body at the cost of a bit of resolution to the finish gold he has renewed.

Audio arts put it on a 300k USD speaker system with expensive FM electronics. He could have put anything he wanted.

Is it my favorite cart? No. But it certainly is an excellent cart for a sensible amount to the extent I don't desire more in a similar sound type (will look for alternate sounds). Also cheap retip and long hours. Trade offs are less flexibility with phono stage and possibly poor service from manufacturer though Anamighty sound in Paris is experienced with Allaerts retips and high quality service (haven't tried their retip myself)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, you might need a second/back up.
I’ve heard rumours that retips going back to Jan can sit in a queue for more than 2 years.

Gemini

Oct 14, 2015
Germany
Thank you for your quick reply. So it sounds as if the Allaerts is not the right match for an Allnic H3000 phono stage. Do you think it would sound too colored/euphonic?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you for your quick reply. So it sounds as if the Allaerts is not the right match for an Allnic H3000 phono stage. Do you think it would sound too colored/euphonic?

yes. and for higher models loading will also be an issue.

I like the Allnic. Hope you have rolled the rectifier

Recently we compared Allnic Puritas, Lyra Atlas, Zyx Omega, Kiski Purpleheart and Airtight Supreme through the Allnic 5000. Best was the Kiseki. The newer one, not the NOS. Lyra was the next, doing what Lyra does best, if you like that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing