Allaerts alert

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
will be getting the Jan Allaerts. The 10,000 hours and cheap retip makes it a cart for life. The feedback from BruceD, who set up his first TT in 1957 when most of this forum was not born, helps. As does pepe57, whose Yamamura happens to be one of the top systems, helps. Gideon of Audio Arts has been with Jan Allaerts since the 90s, and with the JA into FM into apogee. I heard sufficient certainty. It can do violin highs of Lyra without any etch or glare. It can do piano flow with attack on top and body on bottom. Vocals are outstanding, male and female. Other users I called, first thing that they said was tonal fluidity. It will work with horns and with apogee

It works on FR 64s – Bruce, Gideon, another user confirmed that. Excellent news, given that this is a great arm for the price, till one gets money longer term to upgrade to Schroeder LT (which I haven’t heard, but by reputation). Plus, Schroeder himself is known to like this cart, as per forums.

My other cart will be Miyajima mono, which on the right records produces better sonics than all other stereo carts to my ears.

Optional carts will be SPU for piano and brass (not for violin, vocals, or orchestra), and a restored Decca or some MM for an alternate sound (it works on the FR 64s very well).

All carts together fit into the price of an Opus, Zyx top models, GFS.

So – is it easy to shift carts via changing headshells on the FR 64s, or should I get a flexible wand arm like Moerch DP8, with a Schick or SME for the SPU.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
On what TT?
Schopper 124?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Schopper 124 will be a starter. Restored lenco also. Have to then decide between those and DD, and maybe a reasonably priced belt.

I don't think one needs to spend a lot on the TT, but have different flavors. So I am open to Schopper staying, or going, or being part of a team.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
And how will you enjoy your analog?
Headphones?
You cannot schlepp the TT to compares like you did with your GG.
That was already borderline from a handling aspect...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Haha, I can. Post from one room to the other. Got some reference rooms around. The Allaerts stays in the box. Grab one when you can find it

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congrats ! I loved my Allearts MC2 Finish -

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
will be getting the Jan Allaerts. The 10,000 hours and cheap retip makes it a cart for life.

what makes you think an Allerts last 10,000 hours ? A diamond is a diamond and they wear out the same, therefore if Allerts gets 10K hours before retip, all others should too, right ? I don't believe the Allerts 10K claim.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There has been discussion on this on the gon. Fans swear it is a cart for life because of the long lasting.

That's all I am going by, no idea myself.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
There has been discussion on this on the gon. Fans swear it is a cart for life because of the long lasting.

That's all I am going by, no idea myself.

you understand where I am coming from don't you ? A diamond is a diamond. They wear the same. I think 2000 hours is a more reasonable expectation. Does Allerts guarantee 10,000 hours ? Do they even make a mention of it in their literature/website ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
From what I have heard Allaerts is a company that may not be around for much longer....this is the rumor. So, you had better buy it now, as the longer you wait....
Never mind, i see you have waited for ever to buy, so what's a few more years.:rolleyes::eek:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I bought. Paid.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
If they do in fact last that long...good on them.

You brought up an interesting observation...a diamond is indeed a diamond.

Anyone who manufacturers cartridges could possibly make the same claim, what's to lose! Plus, with extreme care of the cleanliness of the record and with applying something like Gruv Glide and Stylast to the tip, maybe this might be feasible...maybe??
OTOH, play a few "less than pristinely cleaned" LP's and i would strongly believe the wear number, as to age, is going to be impacted....possibly severely.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Kedar, on putting another big decision behind you!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, grab a second one too. Allaerts going under rumours notwithstanding, he takes forever on retips. Sometimes a couple of years. You’ll want that second Allaerts while he puts your first one in a very long queue.
I had to wait 4 months for my cart to come back from Peter Lederman, and that was bad enough.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Out of curiosity I checked the JA site and he states up to 5000 hours before a rebuild. That’s a fair bit of time before a rebuild.

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
will be getting the Jan Allaerts. The 10,000 hours and cheap retip makes it a cart for life. It can do violin highs of Lyra without any etch or glare. It can do piano flow with attack on top and body on bottom. Vocals are outstanding, male and female. Other users I called, first thing that they said was tonal fluidity. It will work with horns and with apogee

The phono stage will affect the final sound a great deal, and of course the Mooks!! under the phono.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing