Review: Grand Prix Audio • Monaco 2.0 Turntable

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I agree. I like opinions, particularly articulate ones based on experience. Reviews and postings with opinions/biases/preferences are more interesting.

I also believe our hearing systems are more similar than different and that some/many of us can agree that certain system's resolutions (pick your characteristic) are better than others.

All good points

I also think music preferences are important, what might be essential to a rock enthusiastic may not be to a classical enthusiast

And personal experience, I know nothing about rock bands or pop music but a lot about orchestras, opera, trumpets and piano

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
All good points

I also think music preferences are important, what might be essential to a rock enthusiastic may not be to a classical enthusiast

And personal experience, I know nothing about rock bands or pop music but a lot about orchestras, opera, trumpets and piano

Yes. While I don't believe gear is genre oriented, I like to know what type of music an opinion is founded on. My experience is similar to yours though I did play in a rock band in undergrad. I also like to know specific albums/tracks tied to commentary. That's probably expecting too much. I include solo piano, violin and some vocals in TT evaluation.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Tim, why not tuttis

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Tim, why not tuttis

You mean for for listening eval along with solos? Guess I was more musing about solo performances than excluding anything. The dynamics, solidity of tone, transient, duration and decay of a piano note, even just one, helps me get a sense of a TT. Some jazz piano can work there too. But orchestral stuff is the biggest part of my diet (Shosty, Mahler, Stravinsky, etc). Chamber has a place as well; I really like to use Grumiaux's Trio on Philips playing Mozart quintets. Iirc you like ... is it Rubinstein's Emperor? Try Gould/Bernstein for the 4th Concerto, maybe not for sonics but wonderful performance.

53878.jpg
Philips 6500 619 - 1 of 3

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
These are the types I use

Ravel string quartet Tokyo Quartet
Goldberg Variations Glenn Gould
Brahms violin sonata Oistrach and Richter
Rite of Spring MTT
Berlioz symphonies fantastic Bernstein
Nutcracker Mehta
Petruscka Colin Davis
Planets Previn
Songs of the Auvergne Davrah
La fille mal Gardee mono and stereo Decca
Mahler 2 Haitink
Stan Getz mono
Jacques Loussieur Bach series
Modern Jazz Quartet last concert
LA 4 series
Bach transcriptions for guitar Julian Bream

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You mean for for listening eval along with solos? Guess I was more musing about solo performances than excluding anything. The dynamics, solidity of tone, transient, duration and decay of a piano note, even just one, helps me get a sense of a TT. Some jazz piano can work there too. But orchestral stuff is the biggest part of my diet (Shosty, Mahler, Stravinsky, etc). Chamber has a place as well; I really like to use Grumiaux's Trio on Philips playing Mozart quintets. Iirc you like ... is it Rubinstein's Emperor? Try Gould/Bernstein for the 4th Concerto, maybe not for sonics but wonderful performance.

View attachment 39855
Philips 6500 619 - 1 of 3

hi yes, so same page. Just that you left out orchestral in your previous post hence asked. Saw a great Beethoven 4th piano concerto at barbican on Sunday, nikolai lugansky was the pianist

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
These are the types I use

Ravel string quartet Tokyo Quartet
Goldberg Variations Glenn Gould
Brahms violin sonata Oistrach and Richter
Rite of Spring MTT
Berlioz symphonies fantastic Bernstein
Nutcracker Mehta
Petruscka Colin Davis
Planets Previn
Songs of the Auvergne Davrah
La fille mal Gardee mono and stereo Decca
Mahler 2 Haitink
Stan Getz mono
Jacques Loussieur Bach series
Modern Jazz Quartet last concert
LA 4 series
Bach transcriptions for guitar Julian Bream

Very nice choices!

Is your Brahms violin sonata on Musical Heritage Society label?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Very nice choices!

Is your Brahms violin sonata on Musical Heritage Society label?

I love all three of his violin sonatas. The best I have seen it played by was Leonidas Kavakos and Yuja Wang. Also seen Richard tognetti do one of them and will watch Maxim vengerov on Monday do all three.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Mines on Melodiya I am wondering if that’s the original given the performs origins great performance

Ked watch out for Tonettis arrangement of Death and the Maiden its brilliant !

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I love all three of his violin sonatas. The best I have seen it played by was Leonidas Kavakos and Yuja Wang. Also seen Richard tognetti do one of them and will watch Maxim vengerov on Monday do all three.

Is there anyYuja Wang on vinyl?

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dunno. I have seen her live a couple of times bit not heard any digital or vinyl of hers. The concert with kavakos is available on CD from Decca so maybe is available on vinyl but not sure of quality

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Tim

I am a believer that better speed accuracy can correlate to better sound as you have heard going from Monaco 1.5 to 2.0.

I have now heard similar improvements with a new Fidelis Analog FA6042 Pitch Synthesizer replacing the faulty Technics chip. Speed control now accurate to Quartz Lock reference stable to +/-0.00003Hz .

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?15435-Technics-SP-10MK3/page7

Cheers

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Hi Tim

I am a believer that better speed accuracy can correlate to better sound as you have heard going from Monaco 1.5 to 2.0.

I have now heard similar improvements with a new Fidelis Analog FA6042 Pitch Synthesizer replacing the faulty Technics chip. Speed control now accurate to Quartz Lock reference stable to +/-0.00003Hz .

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?15435-Technics-SP-10MK3/page7

Cheers

Copy that XV-1. More proof of exactly what you said. On both the most modern and venerable legacy 'tables with direct drive.

Congrats on the upgrade and better sound.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I find it fascinating, and hugely impressive, that the 2.0 reads speed in excess of 165000 times a second, but might only adjust the speed once per side.
That’s one alteration for every 180 million checks over a typical lp side.

I would like to know more about the motor... They say it's slotless and that it is an infinite pole design. I know what slotless is but what is infinite pole? Is this the same as no poles (i.e. coreless)? Coreless and slotless motors were the pinnacle of the early 80s Japanese superdecks. None of them though had claimed such low speed variability as the Monaco v2.0 claims. My Yamaha GT-2000 claimed "only" 0.005% or about like the previous Monacos.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello tima,

The idea of rotational stability is a great one. In theory.

In practice however, it’s likely no lathe on Earth has the rotational stability of the Monaco. Therefore whatever upside greater rotational stability confers on the subject’s perceived enjoyment, it will still only ever be relative to that of the rotational stability of the mastering lathe.

In other words, a turntable of greater-than-average rotational stability that allows us to hear the inconsistencies of the mastering lathe with greater clarity may in fact not be preferred in practice, even if we accept in theory we “should”.

Were our records mastered via a process of precise and unambiguously consistent speed stability across all lathes mastering our records, then in both theory and practice, we would surely prefer turntables of precise and unambiguous consistent speed stability - we would want to have a turntable that was as consistent as the mastering lathe, in which the exact (not relative) speed of the turntable could be matched to the exact (not relative) speed of the lathe.

However, if we accept that all mastering lathes will differ in speed stability from one another producing masters that are therefore non-linear in-and-of-themselves and also, one-to-another, it’s possible it may be true the way to maximise performance from that medium may be a mechanism that is also non-linear. In other words, rather than seek to utilise a linear (non-random) mechanism to decode and interpret a non-linear medium, we may find instead that by utilising a non-linear mechanism we introduce stochastic distribution of non-linearities, in effect cancelling out or nullifying some (but not all) of the non-linearities inherent in the medium (1) (2).

Sometimes, intervention intended to bring a positive benefit also brings harm, often masked by the positive because the upside is easier to detect. I say this as someone who has heard many direct drive turntables, the Monaco once (1.0, and not in a system I was familiar with), yet never quite fallen in love to the degree I have with idlers. To what degree my own preferences might be shaped by the above - and the degree to which the above idea might be relevant or not - I cannot be sure (3).

Best,

853guy

--

(1) See stochastic resonance for more: “Stochastic resonance is said to be observed when increases in levels of unpredictable fluctuations—e.g., random noise—cause an increase in a metric of the quality of signal transmission or detection performance, rather than a decrease. This counterintuitive effect relies on system nonlinearities and on some parameter ranges being “suboptimal”” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2660436/

(2) Dither is obviously a similar process, but used when reducing word-length in mastering for digital prior to commercial release (strictly speaking, the resolution of the vinyl master is the same as the consumer product, so “dither” really only relates to digital). With vinyl, the process takes place instead during playback - the turntable itself acts as a mechanism for introduction of non-linearities.

(3) Were there numerous robust studies to suggest we as humans prefer highly accurate/measurable speed accuracy/peak deviation in analogue playback, then perhaps we would also see a general preference towards turntables that achieved this goal. Given there continues to be a divergence between stated preference and revealed preference (and that despite the fact the ear is inherently non-linear, our ear/brain mechanism can still discriminate sounds better than the limit imposed by the Fourier Uncertainty Principle suggesting non-linearities in-and-of-themselves are not a limit to detection - and in fact, may aid in detection), it’s possible the reverse is true - we’re happy with non-linearities provided they are randomised/stochastic rather than non-random/distributed evenly.

“The researchers think that this superior human listening ability is partly due to the spiral structure and nonlinearities in the cochlea. Previously, scientists have proven that linear systems cannot exceed the time-frequency uncertainty limit. Although most nonlinear systems do not perform any better, any system that exceeds the uncertainty limit must be nonlinear. For this reason, the nonlinearities in the cochlea are likely integral to the precision of human auditory processing. Since researchers have known for a long time about the cochlea's nonlinearities, the current results are not quite as surprising as they would otherwise be.

https://phys.org/news/2013-02-human-fourier-uncertainty-principle.html

I would still love to have one of the only two TTs on earth that corrected for records being off-center...either a Nakamichi Dragon CT or Nakamichi TX-1000 (which now go for upwards of $30K used). The TX-1000 used a super-linear DD coreless/slotless motor with advanced control system (not as good a system though as the bi-directional servo used in the JVC TT-101 or Yamaha GT-2000). At least then one imperfection in record production is truly compensated for.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello tima,

Thanks for your reply…!

Firstly, please let me say my post is, as you say, mere speculation on my part fuelled by fascination that vinyl still continues to offer me a near-transcendent musical experience, despite the many epitaphs written for it since the advent of CD (and vinyl’s objectively inferior performance relative to digital). Anyone who’s seeking to move vinyl replay forward is worthy of my interest, and I appreciate Monaco have focused their attention on rotational speed via rigorous implementation. My post is really part a broader observation, not specifically directed at the Monaco, though given the 2.0 has been able to quantify its performance advantage in such explicit terms, it seems as good a example as any, and perhaps the best.

Two contextual caveats upfront: I read very few reviews these days, and confess to initially skimming yours, but have re-read it since. Also, like I say, I’ve heard neither the Monaco 2.0, nor the 1.5 - only the 1.0 zero once, in a system I was unfamiliar with. So perhaps these comments below are best understood as neither a critique of your review, nor a criticism of the 2.0 - simply curiosity expressed as a work-in-progress of observations apropos vinyl replay in general.

As perhaps we might agree, with vinyl we are never dealing with absolute rotational speed, only ever relative rotational speed (the turntable and lathe individually and relative to one-another). If all mastering lathes rotated at the same precise rotational speed, and only if they did, would absolute rotational speed matter in our turntables because we would have a single absolute reference in which to attempt to emulate. However, we do not and never will have a single absolute reference to emulate, given the divergence of lathes one-to-another and the variance with which each lathe departs from absolute rotational speed in both speed accuracy and consistency.

So while I can certainly not say that your observations are incorrect (nor am I attempting to), I think it could still be true to say that since all turntables and all lathes will never identically match in terms of absolute rotational speed, the variables matter less than their distribution. If I were to play you a record in which I had made one-hundred audible scratches in its surface, and spaced them evenly at one second intervals, you would likely notice them far more than if I placed them randomly across the entire playing surface with no discernible pattern. When a given deviation’s distribution is non-random we seem to flag it in ways we do not when the deviation is random(ised).

In complex systems (and I would argue the turntable, and especially the hi-fi system as a whole is exactly that), how a given variable is distributed matters more than the presence of that variable. In other words, how a turntable achieves its speed stability can often have a far greater influence on our perceived enjoyment/non-enjoyment, and in a way that’s fundamentally different to what exact speed stability it achieves. Again, though this is not aimed at the Monaco specifically, I think perhaps we can all point to turntables in which the implementation of drive topology conveys significant benefits in perceived enjoyment, despite the absence of absolute speed stability - and vice versa.

Nevertheless, that there continues to be devotees of both belt, idler and direct-drive turntables suggests the how of the platter turning is fundamental to our perception of music, not just because of its implications for speed stability per se, but as your review suggests, because music is always pitch and amplitude over time and the three are always modulating. Timing errors will therefore always impact the way pitch and amplitude are conveyed. My hypothesis (and it is nothing more than that) is that it’s the distribution of those errors that differentiates our perception of belt versus idler versus direct-driven given all forms of rotational mechanisms will have inherent degrees of speed instability.

Given we can perhaps acknowledge that all lathes also share this variation, my thinking is that if indeed they are complex systems of non-linearities, what matters most is not that those non-linearities exist in both the lathe and the turntable, but only that as long as those non-linearities are distributed in a benign (stochastic) manner, our ear/brain mechanism is able to accommodate those non-linearities, and in fact perhaps, confer unexpected benefits to signal detection despite the presence of the noise (see link in my previous post).

There is of course an ongoing debate (and rightly so in my perspective) of the direct correlation between what can be measured and what can be perceived. However, as many of us have discovered - often to our lament - a component that produces vanishingly low distortion, noise and output impedance measurements does not always confer a direct benefit on listener involvement. In fact, in some cases, and even taking into account the fact we all have our preferences and biases, it may cause the opposite.

In complex systems, higher-order effects matter. Even in cases in which a component has objectively come to match an ideal of linearity, there will still be many who may not prefer it (although I completely accept there will be just as many who might) - not because it’s demonstrably/objectively linear (a first-order effect), but because its linearity comes with second- and third-order effects that cannot be predicted ahead of time (and certainly not in isolation).

Yes, if it cannot be observed then it’s fair to suggest it may not be worth observing. Yet complex systems - and especially, a dynamic, high-order and interdependently complex signal played back via a dynamic, high-order and interdependently complex mechanism in which interactions matter more than single independent actions (1) - often leads us to conflate evidence of absence for absence of evidence. It’s only later, once time has allowed us to peek beneath the first-order effects of our discoveries that we’re able to observe any second- and third-order effects. Indeed, the problem in dealing with complex systems is that second- and third-order effects are generally masked by first-order ones. But just because they may not be observable now, does not mean they may not become observable in the future.

And while I can accept that Ockham made a valuable observation, that observation holds most true when applied to simple systems where parsimony is a virtue. In complex systems, in which variables interact and generate second- and third-order effects that cannot be predicted ahead of time, parsimony is likely to only lead to a false dichotomy built on first-order effects (2).

In any case, no more of my hypothesising will change either the real-world performance of the Monaco, nor your perception of it evaluated via your own ears. I’m grateful you’ve shared your thoughts with me, and taken the time to respond in such a generous manner.

Take care, tima.

853guy

(1) I continue to persist in my belief that music and the recording/hi-fi mechanism we use to play it back are both complex systems built on simple principles that can be defined and studied in isolation (pitch, amplitude, time; acoustical energy, electrical energy, acoustical energy). When those simple principles are brought together however, they interact dynamically in ways that often defy those simple principles observed individually and statically, because a dynamic, high-order and interdependently complex signal played back via a dynamic, high-order and interdependently complex mechanism will produce variables and non-linearities the individual constituent parts in-and-of-themselves can never fully predict ahead of time.

(2) “Height determines weight” may have been a heuristic Ockham would have approved of. This would have been especially true in the 13th Century when nutrition was based on simple foods of limited portions and people generally engaged in moderate energy expenditure. However, in the 21st Century with the addition of unlimited choice, cheap and easily accessible sugars, chemical farming and chemical “foods”, hereditary disorders, limited energy expenditure and often, unlimited portion size, “height determines weight” has little to no utility value. The complexity of our modern diet and the interaction of greater variables renders a parsimonious heuristic redundant.

--

EDIT: It's come to my attention that since I tend to type faster than think, I may have inadvertently mixed/conflated speed accuracy for peak deviation distribution throughout my two posts. In summary then, my thoughts are as follows:

All lathes will vary in speed accuracy relative to one another.

All lathes will vary in the distribution of their peak deviations one to another.

All turntables will vary in speed accuracy relative to one another.

All turntables will vary in the distribution of their peak deviations one to another.

Therefore, all turntables will vary in speed accuracy and the distribution of their peak deviations relative to the lathe’s degree of speed accuracy and the distribution of peak deviations a given record was mastered on.

Given that even a turntable with very high levels of speed accuracy cannot make up for peak deviations of the lathe, nor its own, what will matter more is how the peak deviations are distributed in both the lathe and the turntable, since a lathe that produces a master running at 33.4 rpm will of course be best served by a turntable running at 33.2 rpm despite the fact both of them are not strictly speed accurate. Speed accuracy in-and-of-itself therefore matters less than the peak deviations and how they are distributed. Therefore, random/stochastic distribution of peak deviations will perhaps be the best way to realise performance from a turntable given the non-linear nature of all lathes mastering records.

Apologies for any confusion I may have caused.

I agree with the direction you are taking the discussion 853, the potential presence of higher order effects that are seemingly vanishingly small but can have serious sonic consequences. It is interesting to note that there was a kind of evolution in DD from the early days to the "end" times in the mid 1980s in Japan. One of the things realized was that a system with too tight a grip that was constantly correcting even the smallest deviations (i.e "hunting") gave stellar wow and flutter numbers and on a macroscopic level perfect speed control but led to an edgy sound not unlike what is heard from distortions of other kinds of electronics (digital sources and amplification).

Also, it was not appreciated at first that a standard iron pole motor is not ideal for a smooth and continuous torque delivery...again macroscopically it was fine but on a moment by moment basis the torque was not constant and thus the drive to spin the platter was not constant. This effect was largely smoothed out with belts and heavy platters so it was less of a concern to that crowd...and they were ok with a sound that is not ultra precise.

Three evolutions hit the late stage development of Japanese TTs that went largely unnoticed by the western belt loving world:

1) Coreless/slotless motors that have continuous torque (i.e. almost no torque ripple) and no cogging. This is still a rarity (not 100% sure this Monaco has a motor like this even) and not found in most TTs today. Interestingly, Nakamichi even went this direction with their famous cassette decks, ones like the famous Dragon and ZX-9 (both used a capstan motor that was coreless/slotless and dubbed "super linear"...a derivative of this motor was also used in the famous TX-1000 TT), that are widely regarded among the best of the best for cassette tape. They wisely realized that no matter how good your control system is it cannot correct speed fluctuations properly that come from the motor itself and like jitter for digital, the microscopic fluctuations in time matter greatly to the sound quality.

2) Improved/nested control loops. Kenwood in their late TTs (starting with the L-07) used a loop within a loop with a loose/tight control. They also coupled this with a relatively heavy platter (see point 3) to further smooth with some inertia thus triggering correction less frequently and less aggressively. JVC pioneered (Yamaha also used) the bi-directional servo that pushed and pulled the platter to minimize over/undershoot. These strategies were employed to eliminate "hunting".

3) Moving to heavier platters. It was realized that a higher mass platter makes it easier for the servos to do their job and likely to engage less frequently. Kenwood had a 5Kg platter, Yamaha had a 6kg platter (with the option of a massive 18Kg platter). Several other makers went to heavier platters as well.

I think these developments helped to address many of the unintended consequences of early DD decisions as a deeper understanding of what was happening with motor control systems emerged. I am not sure that the Monaco has learned all of these lessons. Interestingly, the Brinkmann Bardo and Oasis use some of the knowledge above but in some unusual ways. The motor is low torque and they rely more on platter mass for stable speed (more like a belt drive) but have a correction system unlike most belters. It sounds quite good that TT.

As to your lathe argument, I believe that you should control what you can on the reproduction end. Each record will have some relative fluctuation in the speed around 33 1/3 that comes from the lathe inaccuracy...however, you have no idea what this distribution might be and any attempt to measure it would be convoluted with the measurement system (assuming you would need to turn the record to measure it...perhaps there is a way to see this fluctuation another way...with laser interferrometry perhaps? But then you would need steady tones cut into the record and look at inconsistencies in the interferrometric pattern). So, each record would then theoretically interact differently with your TT and, as you have noted, in an unpredictable and higher order manner. So, IMO, all you can do is minimize the variation on your end as you have no control of what comes to you and it will be constantly variable. By minimizing on your end it seems to me that you are in effect limiting the interaction that leads to higher order effects.

Just my take on it.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My Monaco 1.0 is getting packed up by my dealer today for the 2.0 upgrade...I can't wait to hear it :)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
My Monaco 1.0 is getting packed up by my dealer today for the 2.0 upgrade...I can't wait to hear it :)

that's been a long time coming. really interested in your thoughts of V2 when it gets back.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Outside topic - how is the Nagra HD preamplfier behaving?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Outside topic - how is the Nagra HD preamplfier behaving?

It's simply outstanding. My dealer has the input transformers, apparently those take it up another notch with his Vivaldi stack...hoping my input trannies arrive soon...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing